Savannah

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
We just got a new lionhead today, It is a female. It is black and around 4 months. She is named Savannah. She is living with Sukura they are getting on really well. I had them in my mothers bedroom so they could bond took all of 5 min. I will update with photos In the next few days. My mams friend is dropping me in an unused cage that she has so if something goes wrong I can separate them. Please tell me what you think about my new addition. Oh and I think she is real special because she has really small ears and a real round head!

PLEASE be aware that they are right around the age where they will suddenly get hormones (puberty) and start fighting! I'm really uncomfortable with rabbits of this age being housed together, especially if they didn't grow up together. Even then you can get some horrible fights. I have seen nasty injuries and even one death on the forum from rabbits fighting at the onset of puberty.

Honestly I would separate them until they are older, preferably after they are spayed. If they're for breeding then you really don't want to keep them together as you'd have to separate them when they give birth and rear kits.

What happened to concentrating on the rabbits you have now and going to England for good rabbits? You shouldn't keep buying all these rabbits on impulse.

We are going to England still, This wasn't impulse I have had my eye on this rabbit since last week I have talked with my mother and she said it was ok. And I am getting another cage in the next few days from my mothers friends so any fighting, I will separate them. The only reason Iallowed myself to getthis rabbit was because I am getting this other cage off my mams friend. So if I needed to seperate them. I will have 15-16 rabbits when I get back to England. And I should be able to support them because I would be breeding. I would only breed each female 3 times a year.

paul2641 wrote:
We are going to England still, This wasn't impulse I have had my eye on this rabbit since last week I have talked with my mother and she said it was ok. And I am getting another cage in the next few days from my mothers friends so any fighting, I will separate them. The only reason Iallowed myself to getthis rabbit was because I am getting this other cage off my mams friend. So if I needed to seperate them. I will have 15-16 rabbits when I get back to England. And I should be able to support them because I would be breeding. I would only breed each female 3 times a year.
I hate to be a spoil sport but how on earth do you think you're going to make money out of breeding rabbits. If you seriously consider getting that many rabbits you need to invest at least 1000 euo and have back up for emergencies. And as you said you were gong to be a responsible pet owner from now on put at least 400 aside for all their spays and neuters

Sabine wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
I hate to be a spoil sport but how on earth do you think you're going to make money out of breeding rabbits. If you seriously consider getting that many rabbits you need to invest at least 1000 euo and have back up for emergencies. And as you said you were gong to be a responsible pet owner from now on put at least 400 aside for all their spays and neuters
I never said Profit or if I did I meant enough so they can pay for food. I have money €175 in case I have to bring any to the vet.Also My Mam Is putting away €15-€20 away every week in my credit union so I will have the money for the Trip to England and Anything else She will cover with summer vacation money.

paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
Mmm, right well good luck anyway.

I think I will separate them when we get the cage off my mams friend just to keep everyone happy.:biggrin2:
What on earth are you doing? How about focusing on your existing rabbits that are in desperate need of some TLC

Sabine wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:

I think I will separate them when we get the cage off my mams friend just to keep everyone happy.:biggrin2:
What on earth are you doing? How about focusing on your existing rabbits that are in desperate need of some TLC
Sorry I'm lost what do you mean by this? I don't see how separating Savannah and Sukura is a bad thing, I have been told it's a bad idea to house them together. I got this new cage sorted and now you telling me not to seperate Sukura and Savannah? Or do you mean me getting more rabbits from England? Well My rabbits at the moment are getting brushed daily although Roger is moulting. I'm petting them everytime I'm in the kitchen. So what is wrong with that?

paul2641 wrote:
Sabine wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:

Sorry I'm lost what do you mean by this? I don't see how separating Savannah and Sukura is a bad thing, I have been told it's a bad idea to house them together. I got this new cage sorted and now you telling me not to seperate Sukura and Savannah? Or do you mean me getting more rabbits from England? Well My rabbits at the moment are getting brushed daily although Roger is moulting. I'm petting them everytime I'm in the kitchen. So what is wrong with that?
What's wrong with it is that only a while back it wasn't possible to seperate the male and the female for lack of a cage. although you knew very well how dangerous it would be for the female and the babies. And now rather than focusing on gaining the trust of your three and letting them recover you buy another one and plan for more rabbits from England. 175 euro will pay for one spay and one neuter and that's that.
Also, if your shed is to be converted into a proper rabbitry it's going to cost. Are you willing to invest all that if only a few weeks ago another cage wasn't an option

Err... Breeding rabbits COSTS more money than it makes. Start a new thread on that, ask how many breeders here make enough cash from selling babies to cover all their rabbit expenses. Not even counting shows and such, usually the only way to make money off them is to turn the girls into baby factories and skimp on the level of care you're giving. But you'd still need guaranteed buyers (or a meat market:(). It might be easier for breeders with high quality show stock and are well-known for good rabbits, but that takes years to get that experience and respect.

Please step back a bit, look at your current animals (you bought one without the cage for her yet???) and do more research.

Sabine wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
Sabine wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:

What's wrong with it is that only a while back it wasn't possible to seperate the male and the female for lack of a cage. although you knew very well how dangerous it would be for the female and the babies. And now rather than focusing on gaining the trust of your three and letting them recover you buy another one and plan for more rabbits from England. 175 euro will pay for one spay and one neuter and that's that.
Also, if your shed is to be converted into a proper rabbitry it's going to cost. Are you willing to invest all that if only a few weeks ago another cage wasn't an option
Well to be honest how does getting another rabbit stop me bonding with my other rabbits? It wasn't out of the question I just never really asked mam and stressed the importance. But once the babies came I stressed the importance.

naturestee wrote:
Err... Breeding rabbits COSTS more money than it makes. Start a new thread on that, ask how many breeders here make enough cash from selling babies to cover all their rabbit expenses. Not even counting shows and such, usually the only way to make money off them is to turn the girls into baby factories and skimp on the level of care you're giving. But you'd still need guaranteed buyers (or a meat market:(). It might be easier for breeders with high quality show stock and are well-known for good rabbits, but that takes years to get that experience and respect.

Please step back a bit, look at your current animals (you bought one without the cage for her yet???) and do more research.
I don't want a profit, All I'm saying is that they could give money for there food, as I said I wouldn't breed them more then 3 times a year. Therearn't rabbit meat factories in Ireland so don't worry there. And My rabbits only cost me €10 every week for there food so I can see if I breed and a whole litter lives them buying food for 2-3 weeks is actually possible. I don't expect from breeding to get enough money to pay for regular vet trips and of the sort. I don't need to worry about shows.

naturestee wrote:

I think starting a new thread asking that question is a good idea. Also in Ireland it is very unlikely that people bying a pet rabbit will pay premium prices and there's no network of established breeders.I reckon the upkeep of my six rabbits costs me 100 euro a months easly and I expect having to pay out more if I indulge in breeding Magic.I also spent about an hour a day cleaning and handling minimum. Not sure into how many hours that translates if you have a whole rabbitry plus 4 pet rabbits

Paul everyone who has posted thinks your doing this wrong, is everyone but you wrong? Just because you see a pretty rabbit in a petshop doesn't mean you have to buy it, they aren't toys in the window ofa toyshop.

Hi! Well first, congrats on getting your new bunny ;). I don't think it was the best decision either though. Getting another bunny means spending less time with your other bunnies who obviously need it! I know they're hard to resist, but try to do what's right for your bunnies :).

Regarding your decision to start breeding, I agree with everyone else. I'm not an expert but it sounds like it will cost a lot more than you can afford. You couldn't even buy another cage for Sukura when she needed it and that wasn't very long ago. Even if you had enough money to support it, how would you get the money to start it? It costs a significant amount of money to start a rabbitry.For a start, where will the rabbits live if just a few weeks ago you couldn't afford even one cage.It sounds like you want to dothis for enjoyment purposes. If so, whystart with 15 rabbits? I don't see them all getting the care they deserve.

Hope you think this through and do what's best for your current rabbits.

Btw, Looking forward to pics of Savannah. Don't forget to spend lots of time with Suki, Sukura and Roger too.

Tess :)

I find it very sad that you have done this. If you really couldn't do without this rabbit the responsible thing would have been to get a cage FIRST and then get the rabbit.

It seems to me like you view these rabbits as toys, not actually as living things, and this is probably what causes you to be so ignorant and immature with their welfare.

If you are going to be a responsible and respectable breeder you are going to need to learn hard and fast and grow up a great deal, otherwise you will just be a backyard breeder.

Everyone has the potential to be a great rabbit owner, and that includes you. I would have thought you would have learnt from your recent litter experience (things like rabbits need space, you have a lot to learn, to slow down and focus on the rabbits you have, to bond with those you have), but it seems apparently you haven't learn all that much. That's quite sad that all those involved went through all that for nothing.

I just hope in recent coming months you can start to learn and grow and work in a more mature manner.

Well all my rabbits are being brought up to the sitting room so they can be petted, Sukura and Savannah spent ages up here last night, Roger and Suki come up seperatly so they don't get as much time up but it's one on one time. I have been grooming roger every day getting his coat correct as it was a little messy(plus he is molting) I am cutting all there nails when my mother comes back from town. And we are getting this new cage off my mams friend really soon.

As I said the cage for sukura was never out of the question I only asked mam once and she said nothing and I just left it, but when we got the kits andSukura was in the box2 nights I stressed the importance of her getting a new hutch. I could never see my rabbits costing me€100 even now they only cost €10 and there on supa branded food, And Roger and Suki get some veg once a week. I know Sabine you spend alot on fruit and veg, but most of mine arn't even old enough for fruit and veg. We normally give Roger and Suki carrot and sunflower seeds, they only get carrot once a week but they get sunflower seeds everyday. I know sunflower seeds are really good for them. I do my best, I may sound cheap but I have searched everywhere to get the best deals on all there food. And every time I have to get food I walk to the store don't get a bus or a lift instead of getting that coloured mixed food. They also get out to run around (1-2hrs a day) excluding the time they spend with me. So I don't see how they don't get enough attention?

OMG suki has been binking all around the kitchen,So I'm guessing she is happy. I clipped suki and rogers nails, Suki was no trouble but roger is a differant story, he was bitting.

Latest posts

Back