Satin Fur...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnybunnymummy

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Exactly how shiny is satin fur?

And if a mixed breed rabbit has satin fur, does thatmean it has a Satin rabbit in its ancestory?

Also, can a rabbit have satin fur on part of its body (like, say, it's head and ears), but not on the main part of its body?

And is black satin fur shinier than white satin fur?

Thanks!

Rue

The satin coat has a hollow, glass-like, narrow diameter fur shaft. The reflection of light gives the coat a "sheen" different from the luster that other coats have.

The satin mutation is recessive, so a rabbit must inherit the satin gene from each parent for the coat to be satinized.

Black satin coats do show off more of a sheen than the white coats. Coats with more thick guard hairs have better sheens than those with more soft undercoat. The color is often very intense on a satin coat.

It is possible for the fur to have better sheen on the extremities than on the body.

By comparing Satin vs normal fur under a microscope, you can see the difference. (I'll try to remember to post a sample photo tomorrow).

Pam

Well, here's the best I could do with a cheap microscope . . .

Pictured is a Satin hair and a Polish hair. Note the glass-like appearance of the Satin hair . . .

Hmmmmmmm . . . not sure why the photo won't upload.

Satincoat3.jpg

Not info about satins, but I have noticed that the black fur on my broken black bun is much shinier than the white fur. So perhaps this is a trait that holds true whether the fur is satin-type or not?

Latest posts

Back