Sand for rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys, I just went to a kids toys shop and i saw a bag of sand for kids to play with, so it should be clean, I wanted to get one for haru and make her a digging box, is it safe for rabbits? if it got into her mouth or nose..

Sand is not typically safe for rabbits at all unfortunately :( it sounds like a good idea but isn’t at all. Due to consumption automatically your rabbit will nibble at it to catch a taste which is normal behaviour (it can cause major digestive issues, GI status etc), respiratory problems for example due to the dust of it.. if it does get into the eyes or nose irritation @ it’s finest, not sanitary for them especially if they potty in there. I can go on and on. Your best option is using natural things like shredded cardboard, I use carefresh bedding (bedding is a good choice as well) my buns love to dig in it and it’s okay if they do ingest a little of it. Stay away from the sand. Hope this helps. :)

Sand is not typically safe for rabbits at all unfortunately :( it sounds like a good idea but isn’t at all. Due to consumption automatically your rabbit will nibble at it to catch a taste which is normal behaviour (it can cause major digestive issues, GI status etc), respiratory problems for example due to the dust of it.. if it does get into the eyes or nose irritation @ it’s finest, not sanitary for them especially if they potty in there. I can go on and on. Your best option is using natural things like shredded cardboard, I use carefresh bedding (bedding is a good choice as well) my buns love to dig in it and it’s okay if they do ingest a little of it. Stay away from the sand. Hope this helps. :)
**** really????? I made my digging box out of sand after being recommended by people on another forum. Looks like I'll be buying bedding and throwing away all her sand. Good thing it was only $10 hahaha.

**** really????? I made my digging box out of sand after being recommended by people on another forum. Looks like I'll be buying bedding and throwing away all her sand. Good thing it was only $10 hahaha.
Yeah :( it’s truly not the greatest I remember once I asked my vet too because mine kept digging at corners in my house so I figured and my vet automatically suggested the shredded cardboard. THANK GOSH it was only 10$ just better safe than sorry! I’ve had many scares with my buns because they love to get into a lot, the outcome of things you wouldn’t even imagine could affect them is so scary. They are too sensitive to whatever’s bad or even put them at risk. Truly best to just avoid.

Yeah :( it’s truly not the greatest I remember once I asked my vet too because mine kept digging at corners in my house so I figured and my vet automatically suggested the shredded cardboard. THANK GOSH it was only 10$ just better safe than sorry! I’ve had many scares with my buns because they love to get into a lot, the outcome of things you wouldn’t even imagine could affect them is so scary. They are too sensitive to whatever’s bad or even put them at risk. Truly best to just avoid.
For sure! I am just so angry that several different people on Reddit told me it was fine to use sand in her dig box... UGH. She already had an issue with her respiratory tract from when I first rescued her so looks like I'll be taking her back to the vet.

For sure! I am just so angry that several different people on Reddit told me it was fine to use sand in her dig box... UGH. She already had an issue with her respiratory tract from when I first rescued her so looks like I'll be taking her back to the vet.

YEAH when I read that part I was like ?? Most people don’t really look deep into rabbit care like this. Nor do they understand rabbits are very delicate and complicated if something were to happen they aren’t like dogs or cats even when I first got mine all the things I found out were so surprising to me. Definitely owning one you learn something new each time. You have every right to even be angry literally sand is known to be a no no for them. Aw I’m glad she got better overall that already leaves her with history of it, it’s very good you posted in here too for additional advice just incase. You didn’t just go forward with it especially with the past issue she’s had! I’m sure she’ll enjoy the bedding in the box and if she ever accidentally potty’s in it easier to clean for you!

YEAH when I read that part I was like ?? Most people don’t really look deep into rabbit care like this. Nor do they understand rabbits are very delicate and complicated if something were to happen they aren’t like dogs or cats even when I first got mine all the things I found out were so surprising to me. Definitely owning one you learn something new each time. You have every right to even be angry literally sand is known to be a no no for them. Aw I’m glad she got better overall that already leaves her with history of it, it’s very good you posted in here too for additional advice just incase. You didn’t just go forward with it especially with the past issue she’s had! I’m sure she’ll enjoy the bedding in the box and if she ever accidentally potty’s in it easier to clean for you!
I'm not even sure how to dispose of it? It's surely too heavy for a garbage bag, it took my mom and I all of our strength to get the full bin of sand upstairs into my room. Not to mention the winter ice LOL. This will be fun tonight.

Unfortunately we don’t have care fresh, and when I wanted to order it on amazon the shipping was 300$ I tried to put shredded paper in the box, but she didn’t want to play with it, she only likes what’s not good for her, like chewing on the rubber that’s on the fridge door or the remote..

Unfortunately we don’t have care fresh, and when I wanted to order it on amazon the shipping was 300$ I tried to put shredded paper in the box, but she didn’t want to play with it, she only likes what’s not good for her, like chewing on the rubber that’s on the fridge door or the remote..
My bun actually didn't like the sand when I first got it for her, she LOVES it now. I actually had to show her how to dig. Give it time, she might learn to like it.

In my opinion, sand is safe for rabbits as long as it isn't full of rocks, and they do not eat it. Of course, they will taste it, but do not allow them to eat large amounts. I have never heard of sand causing respiratory issues. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I just think it would have been discussed on this forum before since we have had many threads about sand. If sand is dangerous for rabbits, why do people take their rabbits to the beach? How do wild rabbits that live on the beach survive?
All that being said, sand is can be very messy so a potting soil with no added fertilizers might be a better option. If your rabbit has bad litter habits a digging box would not be a great idea since dirt and sand would get really gross. I do not suggest putting bedding or litter in the digging box because then it will have the same feel as the litter box and it is likely that your rabbit will start using the bathroom in the box. Shredded cardboard or paper might work, but I found that my rabbit didn't like the shredded paper and prefers soil.

I just saw someone giving their rabbit soil instead of sand for a digging box would that be fine or is it the same?
Yes, you can use sterilised top soil (garden centres sell it) in a tall (limits the mess), large plastic box. If bunny won't jump in it, put a platform next to it.

personally, I think sand is fine for a rabbit as long as you monitor them at first. It's not like they're in the dig box 24/7. I haven't found any studies linking sand to respiratory issues, it seems to be something that's just spread on forums. I'm not saying it's not true but a lot of things regarding rabbit care is heavily debated and people like to present their opinions as factual. A few rabbit websites, such as RWAF, support the use of sand in the dig box while others say to avoid it. Ultimately it's up to you to determine whether or not to use it.
Soil is also a safe, but messy option and I haven't heard anything bad about soil regarding safety.
You could also use bedding, just be sure it's a different bedding than the type you use in the litter pan to hopefully avoid confusion.

hope this helped!

Latest posts

Back