San Juan Rabbit????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. A friend in my small town offered me a doe San Juan bunny. It is 11 weeks old. I do not know much about this breed. Any comments or guidance will be appreciated. This would be an inside companion. She also has a Castor Mini Rex doe that is 9 weeks. I love the look of a cottontail rabbit, so i think that is one reason she mentioned it. I have not went to look at them yet. from what I hear they look like a wild rabbit. Have a blessed weekend everyone. I am wondering which one would be the best companion?

Also no offense to anyone to has a San Juan rabbit
but I think Mini rex’s for the breed in general (but it depends on the sole rabbit) are friendlier
but I am kind of biased 😜

San Juan rabbits are not known to be tame. They are bred to resemble wild cottontails, used for training hunting dogs, and they have about the temperament you'd expect for that. I would not recommend one as a pet. A mini rex would make a much more suitable pet. Castor is the closest color, genetically, that mini rex come to wild rabbit color as well

Thank you, for the information. She said she had the following colors of mini rex, Castor with a reddish orange color, castor that is more of a gray squirrel like color, or a Harlequinized Castor Rex. At least that is the description of them. Is this correct? I would like it to be a little reddish orange. Just wanting information before I actually go pick one out. Anything I should look for in a rabbit when I go?

San Juan rabbits are not known to be tame. They are bred to resemble wild cottontails, used for training hunting dogs, and they have about the temperament you'd expect for that. I would not recommend one as a pet. A mini rex would make a much more suitable pet. Castor is the closest color, genetically, that mini rex come to wild rabbit color as well
I thought the San Juan rabbit looked pretty, and as I watch the wild rabbits from my office window, I thought it would be nice to own one like it. Shame that none of them could be a good pet. She told me that some people buy them for pets and some buy them for meat. I was thinking of saving one so it would not be eaten. But, I want a family inside companion.

Oh no way, I'm very very close to the San Juan Islands, I never knew there was a San Juan rabbit.

Oh no way, I'm very very close to the San Juan Islands, I never knew there was a San Juan rabbit.
I myself had never heard of the breed San Juan Rabbit. This lady in our town breeds them, they look very pretty, but am not certain how they would be for a inside pet. She tells me they are handled every day, and people have been buying them from her for pets and to eat.

http://rabbittalk.com/san-juan-vs-tn-redback-t30722.htmlFrom what I’ve read they are hard wired to be afraid of practically everything (including you) I really don’t think they’d be a good pet its basically a wild rabbit and you very likely won’t be able to bond with it 😐
Yes, I have decided to go with the Mini Rex. I just enjoyed looking up the San Juan breed and reading about it. I just now have to pick a color of the Mini Rex. I have heard they are very soft.

Latest posts

Back