Sampson is moulting BADLY

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnys_rule63

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this should go here, theinfirmary or elsewhere so feel free to move it mods.

My foster guy Sampson starting moulting about a week or so ago, and I mean moulting! Now I don't understand if I'm overreacting a bit because I've had rexes for years who have hardly moulted at all, however Sampson's moulting is like nothing I've ever seen before. When I stroke him massive clumps of fur come out. I've just brushed him for literally about 2 minutes now and the equivalent of several big handfuls of fur have come off him. His coat is an absolute mess and if he keeps going the way he isI really do think he'll go bald.:?

I'm worried about the effect this may have on his digestive system for one, but also in case he does have some underlying health concern that may be causing this. What do you think guys, could it be something more sinister causing this? Or have any of you experienced this kind of thing andso have any helpful tips?:?

Maddie went through the worst molt I have ever seen a few weeks ago, she looked such a sight! :? I was worried too, but it didn't last that long, thank god. I was just careful to clear all the fur from her cage, (my room was just full of fur, so bad), and brushed her a few times a day so she didn't ingest too much. She's fine now though, all finished. :) It's probably ok Jess - give it a few more days I think - hopefully will calm down soon. :)

It has been a really bad year fo moult I have a few who have ended up literally looking like half the rabbit that they should!! dont worry to much just keep brushing him gently or gently teasing the old coat out and it will pass soon enough :)

Scooter went through a molt this summer where she had huge bald patches. Poor girl; it was so embarrassing for her! I just made sure I put her through the torture of daily brushing so she wouldn't ingest too much fur. I would get piles of fur bigger than she was.

Did he come from being an inside bun to an outside one or vice versa? When I got Max back in July he was living inside a garage so when he became a house bun (w/ A/C) he went through a TERRIBLE moult! I would brush him everyday and there would still be tons of fur in his cage. It lasted about a month. I just tried to brush as much loose hair from him as I could and he got 2 papaya tablets every night and fresh pineapple 2x a week to help him with the hair in his gut. Good Luck!

Jess, I know how you feel. Snuff has gone through some bad ones, and unlike Angel, who was a mini rex. I had the same response of her sheds and you did with yours thus far. So, this was new to me. Everytime he moults, I take him out and I can take tons of hair off him, like 2 or 3 buns worth of fur!:shock: Sounds normal to me even though the amount of hair seems crazy!;)

Just make sure you brush and give some pumpkin and that he eats tons of hay and drinks a lot of water, your best bets to avoid stasis.:)

I feel for ya, I really do! Moulting is no fun!:)

Phew - I'm glad to hear Sampson isn't the only one suffering from a bad moult! I think it's just because Millie has such a fantastic coat that Sampson's in comparison seems like a wreck. Millie's 'moulting' this autumn has literally been losing about 2 hairs and that is it - moult over! Sampson on the other hand has lost the equivalent of about 4 other bunnies!:shock:

Rexyrex - no he's always been an outside rabbit which does make this all the stranger. It's quite worrying actually as the nights are getting quite cold now and he hardly has any fur left to keep him warm!:?

I think luckily for me Sampson (unlike Millie) isn't big on grooming himself so thankfully wont be ingesting too much fur. I'm also brushing/plucking him several times a day and he always has unlimited hay - so we'll see how things go! I'm just really hoping this moult stops soon.:shock:

sounds like you've got it under control. sometimes all you can do is make sure the hay rack is full of the tasty stuff (mine go crazy for oat, so i make sure to have it during a mole) and brush often. muffin routinely gets bald patches when molting. i brush with our knock-off furminator and it just all comes out. of course, i stop brushing when i see that i've reached a bald spot, but still. it's impossible to avoid for her.

Latest posts

Back