Salt wheel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfdogstwo

Reaction score
My bunny gets pellets , Timothy hay and greens everyday . should I have a salt wheel for him as well? Thanks.

I bought a pack of three when I first got Mocha, thinking he might need it since it was being sold with other neat looking toys and wood chews. Well, he loved the toys and the wood chews, but he didn't touch the salt lick I put out, not even once :/ I later found out that rabbits really only ever touch those if they actually require extra minerals and nutrients that they're otherwise missing in their diet. From the sounds of it you're giving your bunny a perfectly fine diet, so I don't think there's a need for one.

I provide a salt lick for all of my rabbits. Some of them use them, some don't.

In most cases, the sodium that a rabbit needs each day, they will get from their pellets. Some pellets don't include the sodium though. The only one that I'm aware of that doesn't, is Sherwood Forest, so a salt wheel is needed when feeding that pellet. So just check your ingredients and feeding instructions on the bag of pellets that you feed. Also a rabbit that tends to drink a lot of water, may have a higher sodium requirement.

I figure it doesn't hurt to have it in there. If your bun doesn't need extra sodium, it likely won't use it.

I put a 'mineral stone' in Felix's hutch but he's more interested in trying to chew the wire that attaches it to the side... :headsmack

Someone told me rabbits do not have sweat glands is why they need the salt wheels is that true? My bunny doesn't mess with it much he does the apple flavored one every once in a while

If they're eating a good pellet that will give them all the salt and minerals they require and they don't need any additional supply.

Latest posts

Back