Safe woods for chewing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm_Lover_With_Bunnies

Reaction score
Hello fellow bunny lovers!
Im wanting to make a few Different things for my bun. I would like to make her a climbing tower as she loves jumping on her boxes and then I want to re create One of those activity toys but customize it to her. I’m wondering what wood I could get from a hardware store like Home Depot that would be budget friendly and bunny safe? There normal plywood can be made out of multiple types of wood, which one was oak but then, idk if I can even use plywood since it’s wood glued together? If Also wondering if anyone knows if it’s safe to use screws/nails to secure them in place? Thank you!

Hi,

Plywood contains a lot of glue, I wouldn't use it for chewables.

I would consider kiln dried pine ok, when chewing that kind of wood they don't ingest much of it anyway.

I use any old pellets I can get, screws or nails don't matter. Normally there is a marking on pallets, heat treated (HT) are safe, well, as i said, they just convert that kind of wood to splinters anyway.

If you want something good for them look out for fresh tree branches, willow, ash, rose, apple or other fruit trees are great chew toys with nutrational value. There are some lists of good trees online. And quite often they are for free when people cut back their trees. I'm sure there'S some suitable stuff growing in Florida too.

If you have any pallets that you are considering using, check for a stamp on them. They should have a stamp. If you see an "MB" on the stamp, then don't use that pallet. That means it was treated with methyl bromide which is toxic.

If the pallet is blue, it was probably used for pool supplies/chemicals, so should also be avoided as the chemicals may have seeped into the wood.

Here's a guide (I'm sure there are others on the web) about pallet wood precautions:
https://diyprojects.com/know-safe-use-pallet/

Just the cheap 1x2,1x3,1x4 pine boards are what I use. They only cost a few dollars, so no big deal if they get chewed up and need to be replaced, and are untreated non glued wood so should be safe. It's what I used in building my bunny condo.

Latest posts

Back