Safe to get a real Christmas tree?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochi_ball

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I've never gotten a real xmas tree since I started adopting rabbits but just seeing all the trees being sold atsupermarkets makes me want to get one this year. My only concern is if its safe for my bunny. We live in a studio apartment and Mochi is a free roaming rabbit - she is able to run everywhere in the apt, bathroom, closet, kitchen. All our wires are bunny proof and hidden. The tree will definitely be placed somewhere she'll have access to. However, I'm afraid that she'll get sick from either chewing on the tree or getting tangled in the tree lights. Are pine trees toxic to rabbits?

For those of you who've put up real christmas trees before with free roaming pets, how did you bunny proof it and set it up? Thanks in advance for any good advice!

Good question...no real tree this year for me but I'd like to know for next year :D

A little bit of munching on a tree will be ok. We get a Fraser Fir every year and I have looked it up online and it's bunny safe, so I let my guys out to play with it up. Oliver has been eating some of the lower branches this year already and he is no worse for wear. :)

ALso to add - you may want to keep the lights off some of the very low branches. You don't want her to mistake the wires for bits of tree and bite into it.

It's safe, as long as you make sure to get an untreated one. If the tree has been treated with fire retardant, DO NOT get it! Those chemicals are toxic!!
And like others have mentioned, watch out they don't chew the lights or other decorations that aren't bunny safe, like tinsel.
We are very lucky that Hazel has never shown much interest in chewing such things, but we still watch her, and she has her "own" bunny safe ornaments (made from straw, and willow) on the bottom level. She loves lounging under the tree, occasionally nibbling on her ornaments or some needles.:)
White Chocolate on the other hand has only limited access to the tree, she mostly just gets to watch it from mommy's lap :D, or explore it under very close supervision, when hazel isn't around to chase her away from "Her" tree :biggrin2:.

GOOD POINT, Hazel-Mom! Thank you for pointing that out about the flame-retardant!
I think we just might have a real tree this year...would be really nice! We got a real one a few years ago (pre-buns, which I can't even imagine anymore, lol), and the kitties kept drinking the tree water, lol!

I can't wait to have one again! :D

Latest posts

Back