Safe rugs for rabbits.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariana

Reaction score
I am wanting to put a rug/rugs over the puzzle mats instead of a sheet and I know there are certain kinds that is less easy for them to chew?
I am not sure what they are called. Or what I should look for when buying material?

Hi, rug would be definitely better than sheets in my experience I had synthetic rugs for kids playroom and didn't like them because hay sticks into them and it was a bit of pain to remove even when vacuum, but it depends on rug. I wouldn't use any shaggy rugs because rabbits can swallow their pieces that wouldn't be safe, my fav was a low-pile natural wool rug was surprisingly easy to clean even without using a vacuum cleaner as I often clean late before i go to sleep so don't want to irritate my neighbours using vac. It can be cleaned with a regular floor brush or even with a damp cloth or even with your own hand and sometimes I spray some 5% white vinegar over it and wipe with a cloth it looks perfectly clean and fresh even after about a year using as main play area with my rabbits, including all the marking wars etc.

Sisal rugs are great and easy to vacuum they are natural too.

Your other option is to get some lino, preferably textured so it would be easier for your rabbit to walk on it as they don't have pads like cats or dogs, only very fluffy feet and would feel as on ice if it is very plain lino.
Just make sure that lino ends or rugs ends are behind of their playpen panels so they can't chew the ends.

Could you post some photo of your recent setup?

Ok thank you!! I will check them all out. Here is my current setup (it’s a little messy but tomorrow’s cleaning day) He cannot reach the cord to the fan, and it’s unplugged when we’re gone. I’m still looking for more toys and hide houses. (He has large hay box that’s usually behind his litter box but the hole was too big and he kept going in it and peeing so I’m making a new one haha)BB076FA7-2468-4ED7-BFB5-C13AEEBB581D.jpeg6DA1E653-8C5C-4980-AC36-7157FBFEB0EE.jpeg B1E7AED1-AD7B-4E6E-B552-4300A0DC6180.jpeg D85B7B81-5EBF-4229-B24E-E936CE47DD31.jpeg

Hi, I am a new bunny (bunnies - we rescued two lionheads) caregiver. I need a better floor in their enclosure as they are slipping. I have been searching for a natural rug, because I don't want anything they might chew and not be safe. All the jute and seagrass rugs say they have cotton or bamboo as well. I guess its for however they strap it all together. Are these bunny safe if they are predominantly jute or seagrass? are wool rugs a good choice? Is it safe for them to ingest wool? Thanks very much for considering my questions.

Hi, I am a new bunny (bunnies - we rescued two lionheads) caregiver. I need a better floor in their enclosure as they are slipping. I have been searching for a natural rug, because I don't want anything they might chew and not be safe. All the jute and seagrass rugs say they have cotton or bamboo as well. I guess its for however they strap it all together. Are these bunny safe if they are predominantly jute or seagrass? are wool rugs a good choice? Is it safe for them to ingest wool? Thanks very much for considering my questions.

Well natural seagrass mats are amazing for rabbits they will try to dig at them and perhaps chew them, so if you want more of an area rug that you don't want damaged from my personal experience I wouldn't give a seagrass one unless you are okay with them damaging it. You could try buying those interlocking foam mats that are used in children's play rooms or in the gym, however you might want to place a bedsheet on top because the bun might try digging and ingestion of foam is not safe. Wool rugs aren't recommended in my opinion because buns like to pull the fibres out which they could digest which can definitely cause blockage, which isn't good. I've heard that jute rugs are great as long as they don't have long fibres and are woven tightly so the bun can pull out pieces and damage it. (I've seen some jute rugs cause irritation to those with asthma so be wary of this if you have any family members with asthma)

Overall I would say try to get a mat that is flat-woven (this is a mat that the buns can't chew or dig at the fibres), or get one that is tightly woven (so buns can't pull pieces out and ingest), or even get foam mats and put a bed sheet on top (this is great for buns hocks are gym mats tend to be pretty soft)

Hi thank you so much for this response. I appreciate you taking the time to help. I am so glad you told me about jute and asthma because my teen has asthma. I don't want to do something that they might chew that is not safe for them. Also they are pooing all over their enclosure - even though they are supposedly potty trained, so I would be washing that sheet.. daily? I am cleaning up in their daily. I feel like a sheet would also get pulled up and be a huge project to keep in place. They also have access by the way, to a bedroom, much of the time, and they don't poo when out there much, so...they are partly trained. I am looking for a floor covering for their personal space. I guess anything I get will either be unsafe for them or get chewed up by them.

Flooring is such a nightmare... Not sure why you want to change what you have as that seems pretty good to me. If you really want a rug, what about cotton rag rugs? Be careful with sisal and seagrass as those are often treated with pesticides.

Hi thank you so much for this response. I appreciate you taking the time to help. I am so glad you told me about jute and asthma because my teen has asthma. I don't want to do something that they might chew that is not safe for them. Also they are pooing all over their enclosure - even though they are supposedly potty trained, so I would be washing that sheet.. daily? I am cleaning up in their daily. I feel like a sheet would also get pulled up and be a huge project to keep in place. They also have access by the way, to a bedroom, much of the time, and they don't poo when out there much, so...they are partly trained. I am looking for a floor covering for their personal space. I guess anything I get will either be unsafe for them or get chewed up by them.

You can buy gym mats and crocodile clips or even cloth pins to pin the sheet to the mats so it doesn't move around when your bun hops around. I would suggest that if your bun is only pooing and not urinating on it then you don't exactly need to wash the sheet daily (unless you'd like to for some reason), I would suggest that so daily spot cleaning to decrease the mess and the smell that the sheet will begin to hold, I'd recommend having 2 sheets, and after you have used one wash it every week so the sheet doesn't begin to smell, whilst that sheet is in the wash alternate with the other one, this way you can change between 2 sheets :) I think that it could be a possibility that your buns may flick poos out of their litter boxes when they hop in and out (this may not be true it is only a suggestion!), which is why there aren't any poos in the other room, if so maybe look into purchasing a high sided cat litter box :)

hope this helps <3

Finding appropriate flooring is going to vary per bunny. Alot of it will be a matter of trial and error to see what works and what doesn't for your particular rabbit.

Generally, though, you'll want low-pile carpet. Seagrass mats should be viewed as disposal.

Thank you all so much for this helpful information!
The reason I want a rug is because the floors in both of their areas cause them to splay their feet out and slip.
I don't think they are just kicking poo out of their litter box. their enclosure is about 3 feet by 9 or 10 feet. The litter boxes are on one end in a corner and the poo is everywhere, in their bed, their hidey house, all over the floor and even in their water and food bowls. I am going to look into better litterboxes, like ones with attached hay feeder and wood construction. I currently keep the plastic bins I have in place with bricks that I would like to stop using, as well as provide more hay than just under their feet amid the poo. But I suppose that's another topic for another area of the forum.
Again, many thanks for all this helpful advice!

I listened to the video, where one of the suggestions was to use a utility mat. This seems like a great idea! I actually have one by the front door made by LL Bean that has been so durable, even with all that it takes from our shoes and the weather on the way in and out. And it's so easy to clean and absorbs liquids really well. I saw that LLBean has a similar type in just the right size. Here is a link: Everyspace Recycled Waterhog Mat, 3' Wide
Does this look okay?

Another benefit is it has great traction. I am just concerned that if they did eat it, which I think would be hard to do - it would be dangerous for them.

I listened to the video, where one of the suggestions was to use a utility mat. This seems like a great idea! I actually have one by the front door made by LL Bean that has been so durable, even with all that it takes from our shoes and the weather on the way in and out. And it's so easy to clean and absorbs liquids really well. I saw that LLBean has a similar type in just the right size. Here is a link: Everyspace Recycled Waterhog Mat, 3' Wide
Does this look okay?
Looks like it could be quite rough on their hocks. Most rugs are too abrasive. I do sympathise, it's so hard to find good flooring and you're a great bunny mum trying to find something suitable. I use a variety of surfaces including chenille bath mats which are very soft and allow nails to dig in. Looks like this: 1592123624466.png1592123624466.png

Another benefit is it has great traction. I am just concerned that if they did eat it, which I think would be hard to do - it would be dangerous for them.
Another very legitimate concern. And the trouble is you never know what they will go for until you try. Who ever said rabbits are easy pets?!

Looks like it could be quite rough on their hocks. Most rugs are too abrasive. I do sympathise, it's so hard to find good flooring and you're a great bunny mum trying to find something suitable. I use a variety of surfaces including chenille bath mats which are very soft and allow nails to dig in. Looks like this: View attachment 48678View attachment 48678

If you do use this try to see if your bun is a digger, I had one and my bun had a habit of digging at them and she destroyed them lol 😂

oh rough on their hocks! I did not think of that. I think all I thought of was that it would help them not to slip. But that makes sense!
Okay, back to the drawing board! I will look into the chenille bath mats. Thank you all so much! I am discovering how nice is the community of rabbit owners! So helpful!
I don't mind that they are not easy. They are just so lovely! And honestly, they have a lot of things about them that are much easier than the dogs and cats I have cared for...I always do my best with pets but with the rabbits it seems very very important as they seem like they can fairly easily end up with challenges if conditions are not correct for them...I want to do this right.

Do you think fleece could just be pinned down with bricks in the corners and be a good base for them? That way, if they eat it all is still well.
? My other new thought was to get a piece of untreated plywood and somehow attach the fleece to it, maybe with velcro underneath so I could wash it.
Do you think either of these would be a good surface for them to play and live on?
Again thanks so much for all this wonderful advice!

Do you think fleece could just be pinned down with bricks in the corners and be a good base for them? That way, if they eat it all is still well.
? My other new thought was to get a piece of untreated plywood and somehow attach the fleece to it, maybe with velcro underneath so I could wash it.
Do you think either of these would be a good surface for them to play and live on?
Again thanks so much for all this wonderful advice!
What you have now is foam mat with sheet on top, right? What is wrong with that? Just one layer of fleece is not great, it will still be a hard floor.

Latest posts

Back