safe food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauratunes12

Reaction score
Is Wild Harvest Advanced Nutrition Diet "okay"? Has anyone tried it? My dad went to Walmart for bunny food(I don't love it, but it's something) and he came back with it all proud of himself for getting a healthy food. It has "fruits, vegetables, and seeds" and is from Walmart so I looked at it and it has oat seeds, carrot shaped food, and miscellanious colored chunks. I'm not happy about it, but my dad insists it is perfect. Is it really bad? I'm not entirely sure what to do because I'm broke and my dad won't buy anything else.

Someone on here buys bunny food at walmart, but that one sounds like a poor choice. You want something that's all pellets without all the fun colored bits in it because buns are known to pick out the colorful parts and leave the pellets behind but the pellets are where all the nutrients are. It's like giving a kid lucky charms and letting them pick out all the marshmallows.

I can't find an ingredient list, but t doesn't sound like a good food. Walmart isn't exactly known for having healthy pet foods. Many foods say they are healthy do people will buy them without reading any further.
It is better for rabbits to have a plain pellet with not added bit. But what goes into the pellet is important. Many have corn, seed and other things that rabbits really can't digest, there are some that even have animal products in them (usually fat of some sort).
It is also not good to change the diet suddenly. It can cause digestive problems. Some rabbits don't like change, so won't eat a new food.

If you have not opened the bag, see if you can return it. Then take that money and try to find something better. Even a bag from a feed store can be better and they aren't too expensive either.

I ended up having to give her some, because I just found out that she hasn't eaten in two days and we don't have any hay because "the food has hay in it". I picked out all the little extra bits though. Which was hard, because it was only like 10% pellet. It's chock full of oat seeds, corn, and sunflower seeds. My dad spoils our dogs but is a major cheapskate with the bunny.

We have a Runnings, and that is the closest "feed store" for 150 miles. Which is weird, because I live in a really rural area. But the Runnings has hay and that's it for bunny stuff.

Oh my, it sounds like you could use a printed out sheet that you can show your dad about proper bunny food. He just fell for the advertising/packaging.

As others have said, seeds aren't digestible.

And yes, even though the pellets are made with hay, it is NOT a hay substitute. The long strands of hay are essential for bunny. The length of the hay needs to pass through the digestive tract for proper roughage.

Here is a link from medirabbit, that scientifically looks at proper bunny diet. (It's written by a PhD) Perhaps you could print this out to help your cause. (Bunnies need hay -- actual, long strands of hay)
[FONT=&quot]http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html [/FONT]

Does your walmart have the small world rabbit food? That's a plain pellet and would be better to feed than the one your dad got. If they have the 25 lb bags, then it's pretty cheap too.

The food with all the colorful bits usually looks really appealing to pet owners because hey, it's probably what I'd like to eat and often it's more expensive than a plain pellet too. What's best for the rabbits isn't always what's best advertised.

Other than a short time on Sherwood Forest(my dad got cranky about the price) she has been eating the plain Small World pellets and getting plenty of normal hay. So I'm not sure why he bought the other stuff all of a sudden.

We complained that the bunny couldn't eat it, and my stepmom said "then she doesn't eat". They really hate Faith, so it's been a constant struggle for us to take care of her well.

Latest posts

Back