Safe Bunny shampoo in Australia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopandpee

Reaction score
I know it's not recommended to wash bunnies but my bun has a disability (weak legs) making it difficult for her to clean herself, I try to to it as little as possible (once every 4-6 weeks either a wet or dry bath) the corn starch or water really brings out the urine smell while I am cleaning her😷, I really would like to start using some shampoo to clean her better. I don't smell it when she's dry but it's unbearable as I am cleaning her and my nose has to be quite close and for a long period of time as I am trying to groom and corn starch her.

I am clipping the fur around her butt to the best of my abilities but poop still gets stuck now and then and about 4-6 weeks in, it will be dirty enough that I'd have to give her a bum bath.

You could contact any rabbit vet via phone or email and ask what they would suggest as a safe shampoo.

Here is a link for bathing disabled bunnies. I think it had a homemade shampoo thing: Baths & Cleaning

Quote from that link:
A gentle, rabbit-safe shampoo is essential for an effective butt bath. Despite claims that baby shampoos or dog/cat shampoos are safe for rabbits, these shampoos are almost always too harsh for a rabbit's sensitive skin. When shopping for a shampoo, your gentlest option is something organic, with as few additives and as many natural ingredients as possible. These are easy to find at natural food stores such as Sprouts or Whole Foods.

For difficult cases involving urine buildup and scald (as in the case of paralyzed and/or incontinent rabbits), we use and recommend Zymox Enzymatic Shampoo. Zymox contains a 3-point enzyme system that helps destroy bacteria and prevent fungal infections. It has no harsh detergents, pesticides, colorings, or residual petroleum products, and the enzymes are natural and milk-derived. This shampoo is tough on mess and bacteria while still being gentle on your rabbit's skin. It has worked wonders on our disabled rabbit's urine scald and removes that leftover buildup that spot cleaning and dry baths leave behind. Her skin is always fresh and clean after a butt bath with Zymox.

Latest posts

Back