Sad bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just lost one of my bunnies ( Lola ) two days ago and ever since then my other bunny Buggs has been sad , he won’t get out of the cage or run around like he used to , he just finds himself a corner to sit in and stays there the whole time .. I don’t know what to do , any advice please ?

That sounds so sad .. I'm so sorry for your loss, may Lola rest in peace.
I'd just spend more time with him until I could fill up that void he's probably feeling right now or just a bit of it. Giving him more pets and strokes, treats, more quality time you know? I spend most of time with my bunny Claudia and even if I'm watching my Korean Drama, she'd just sit on my chest and I stroke her while watching. They're very loving and emotional so they need attention and love. ~

I'm so sorry about your loss, great advice above.
I too lost my sweet bunny girl a few weeks ago out of nowhere, and like yours, my buck was clearly mourning her loss. What made him, and us, feel better is when we got a new little bunny girl. It's really helped him come out of his shell. He hasn't binkied yet since Lilly died, but he's so much happier there's no question. We did the very non-PC thing to do, we went and got a new bunny the very next day. A little fast for some, but it was just what he and we needed... and I'm glad we did because she's awesome.
Good luck, I hope you keep us posted.

My boy bunny Bellamy acted similar when his brother died (they weren't both adults yet). He used to not want to leave his cage or even to go in the yard and play. Then he totally perked up when I brought a little girl bunny home (Lilah) and kept them in separate cages next to each other while she grew up beside him until one day she sneaked and climbed over to his playpen while they were both outside and I had turned my back. They've always acted like they're in love and it's so sweet :) 2017-12-05-11-48-44-504.jpegScreenshot_20180420-172243.jpeg

My bun has been a loner his whole life, and has been extremely happy, but I've dealt with this in rats, who are also super social. Give him some time, he's certainly grieving, and probably just needs your attention and love just like you need some in this hard time. If you're ready for another bun, start looking and preparing for intros, but if not, just let the process happen with some extra love and attention.
At some point, we sometimes decide no new animals should come into the home for whatever reasons, I'm at that point after my 5 years of caring for rats. I've seen 10 of my buddies die in the last 2 years because of their short life span, and the loss is very hard on me every time. I currently only have one rat, which is generally a big no-no, the same with rabbits. But if you're willing to step up care and affection, don't worry, he'll bounce back with some TLC.
My boy has been alone his whole life, I adopted him and he has been alone since birth, weened too early. He has very bad rabbit aggression, but gets along with all other creatures including my rats, and has lived a very social, happy life being a lone guy.

My bun has been a loner his whole life, and has been extremely happy, but I've dealt with this in rats, who are also super social. Give him some time, he's certainly grieving, and probably just needs your attention and love just like you need some in this hard time. If you're ready for another bun, start looking and preparing for intros, but if not, just let the process happen with some extra love and attention.
At some point, we sometimes decide no new animals should come into the home for whatever reasons, I'm at that point after my 5 years of caring for rats. I've seen 10 of my buddies die in the last 2 years because of their short life span, and the loss is very hard on me every time. I currently only have one rat, which is generally a big no-no, the same with rabbits. But if you're willing to step up care and affection, don't worry, he'll bounce back with some TLC.
My boy has been alone his whole life, I adopted him and he has been alone since birth, weened too early. He has very bad rabbit aggression, but gets along with all other creatures including my rats, and has lived a very social, happy life being a lone guy.
Mine was the same. My friend says, "he hates rabbits". lol. fine with everyone else and very loved.

So I just lost one of my bunnies ( Lola ) two days ago and ever since then my other bunny Buggs has been sad , he won’t get out of the cage or run around like he used to , he just finds himself a corner to sit in and stays there the whole time .. I don’t know what to do , any advice please ?
could you get another bun? would you be prepared to use separate cages if necessary? must be so hard. my bun was sad after his guinea pig love died....I got him a baby bunny and he was delighted.

Latest posts

Back