Runt or peanut

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misscherry15

Reaction score
How do you tell if a kit is a peanut or just a runt? X
These are 2 my 2day old kits. The smaller one is considerably smaller in person he is half the size of the other kits. Is he just a runt and will be fine or do you think he is a peanut?
He hasnt been kicked out of the nest however he isnt feeding well so today i have helped him latch to his mum during 1on1 time with her.
I am rather attached to this little one and i dont want to get my hopes up if its not just a runt xx20180223_130411.jpg 20180223_130405.jpg

Attachments

• 20180223_130352(0).jpg
    20180223_130352(0).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 14
it looks like a runt to me but I am no expert.... your going to want to get more fur on them.... pull from the mothers stomach and rear end... Are they moving? Are their tummies round??

peanuts have several markers. Small ears set further back, hind legs that tend not to work well, inability to feed well (if at all), and a domed head. I can't see the kit really well in these pics but I'm tending to think you have a runt (but I am not sure as the ears don't look quite right)...but I wouldn't interfere. I would let nature take it's course. The fact that if you only have two in the litter and the kit is not thriving doesn't speak well for it's ability to fight for it's life. People who breed rabbits ALWAYS have to long term viewpoint... save the strongest and best, don't breed weakness or a lack to thrive into your herd.

it looks like a runt to me but I am no expert.... your going to want to get more fur on them.... pull from the mothers stomach and rear end... Are they moving? Are their tummies round??

There nest is huge this was when i took them out of the nest to get a photo of the runt size. X
The runts tummy is never round :( ive been havung to lay the mum on her back and help it feed x

Attachments

• 20180223_125839.jpg
    20180223_125839.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 8
peanuts have several markers. Small ears set further back, hind legs that tend not to work well, inability to feed well (if at all), and a domed head. I can't see the kit really well in these pics but I'm tending to think you have a runt (but I am not sure as the ears don't look quite right)...but I wouldn't interfere. I would let nature take it's course. The fact that if you only have two in the litter and the kit is not thriving doesn't speak well for it's ability to fight for it's life. People who breed rabbits ALWAYS have to long term viewpoint... save the strongest and best, don't breed weakness or a lack to thrive into your herd.

I have 5 kits in the litter x
The runt is half the size of the others and is struggling to feed ive been having to help latch him to the mum. He has one normal ear and one small wonky ear. He is all skin and bone and even after being helped to feed his belly doesnt go round like the others. He is just a tiny body with a big head but his head isnt as big as the others. And although the others are getting a sheen of fur layer he is not yet x

The rabbit might be a peanut but keep on helping the kit feeding it might be a runt and sometimes they have a hard time getting food from the mom. Myself I have a runt Netherland Dwarf and his mom tried to kill him.

Latest posts

Back