Runt or Peanut?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstin

Reaction score

My year old brood doe, Kaira, had 4 kits on the 3rd of January. She's had three litters of fetal giants or oversized kits before hand.. so it surprised me not to see any.I'm alsosurprised there weren't more. Her belly was HUGE. Anyhow, the first kit was dead whenI found it -- it was small and deformed-looking. Two are decently small... and the other seems a healthy size. I'd like to know if the two are runts or peanuts. Here's some pics.

A peanut/runt...

13405_051827_100000000.jpg

The normal-sizedone...

13405_051827_110000002.jpg

All together...

13405_051827_100000001.jpg

Let me know what ya think. =) Thanks.

The small ones look like peanuts to me. Domed heads, small ears and weak small back legs. You will be able to tell in a couple of days though. If they are peanuts they will start losing weight quickly and usually die within 3 or 4 days.

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
The small ones look like peanuts to me. Domed heads, small ears and weak small back legs. You will be able to tell in a couple of days though. If they are peanuts they will start losing weight quickly and usually die within 3 or 4 days.
I agree, Peanut.

omg that really scares me that my runt may be a peanut :'(

i thought peanuts were way more deformed looking?

guys if i post a pic of my runt acn you please tell me?

i'm going to cry, i'm attatched to the little dude :'(

164885_10150368785155587_886440586_16651674_2912313_n.jpg

his back feet arent crossed over or anything but he's definately weaker than the others.

runt or peanut?

maxysmummy wrote:
omg that really scares me that my runt may be a peanut :'(

i thought peanuts were way more deformed looking?

guys if i post a pic of my runt acn you please tell me?

i'm going to cry, i'm attatched to the little dude :'(

164885_10150368785155587_886440586_16651674_2912313_n.jpg

his back feet arent crossed over or anything but he's definately weaker than the others.

runt or peanut?
How old is he?
Looks normal to me.

he was 2 days old there. (Taken yesterday)
you've seriously made my day. he looks physically the same as the others, just a lot smaller and less hairy.

SNM wrote:
You just have to watch runts more, especially with a bigger litter.
its a really small litter (only 4). we give runty his own "special" feedings (3 times a day he gets to suckle on mama).

is there anything else we should do?

I have had doe's raise one baby, never a problem.I guess if their in the cold it could be,because that baby might get cold being alone?

Just keep an eye on the baby to make sure he doesn't get too fat. I just weaned a singleton buck a couple of weeks ago and he was fine. A little bigger than normal but he is evening out now. Don't make decisions on size for a singleton right away. They tend to grow faster while with their dam but slow down once weaned.

He'll be fine on his own, just make sure he doesn't get cold. Also, I would find another brood doe. You've had an awful lot of trouble with her and little ones.

I have another brood doe actually, and I've had much more luck with her. I'm bout to wean 3 of her kits... 2 are sick, but I hope they get better (one has wry neck).

Anyhow, I have Kaira and the singleton inside so he/she doesn't get too chilled.

Latest posts

Back