runny nose.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvdutchrabbbits90

Reaction score
A couple rabbits in my herd have runny noses. No snot just runny and sneeze one in a while. I have brought no new rabbits in. They act fine never stop eating no runny poop.Now my 9 week old litter has runny noses. What should i treat this with?

I just treat with a dissolvable antibiotic in water. I've been using tetracycline hydrochloride powder(don't remember the non-scientific name...) that came in a 228g packet containing 10g. It takes 1/5 tsp per 32oz water bottle. Gave it to one buck that was starting to get squeaky breathing for 4 days and it's all cleared up. The instructions actually said it was for respiratory problems in swine, chickens and turkeys and to give 200-400mg of the hydrochloride per gallon of water per day.

I had a problem with sneezing and runny nose bunnies too although their chests were not rattling. I was not able to cure them. Very sad.

I tried everything over the counter. I even got aeuromycin medicated feed. Tetracylin, dura, diatemacious earth ( I can't spell it and I'm too lazy to look it up), vitamins and electrolytes... Tried it all and nothing worked.

I started giving them LA 200 and tylan hoping that would help. It seemed to help a little but the problem was still there.

I even gave them their worming medicine just cause... well I was doing everything else to them.. might as well get that out of the way.

I spent hundreds (no joke) of dollars at a vet and multiple visits trying to "cure" this sneezing and slightly running nose on some of my bunnies and the vet's couldn't fix them even with medicine that they gave me that you can't buy over the counter.

I still have the bunnies but they are separated from all the other rabbits since I'm fairly certain it's contagious and I keep a bottle of alcohol for washing my hands after being near them and I also spray down their food and water bowls with hydrogen peroxide. They get plenty of sunshine ( natural bacteria killer) and good food/water.

They are perky and seem to be doing well...except for the occasional sneezing fit. I can tell because their paws are still slightly gunky from rubbing their runny noses.

They haven't lost any weight so I figure... as long as I keep them away from the other rabbits...they can still live in comfort.

I have a buck that has a runny nose and sneezing but is not contagious, he has lived next door to one of my other bunnies for going on 3 months and she has shown no symptoms at all, this is the second buck I have had this with.

Latest posts

Back