Runny eyes got better but not completely (Snuffles treatment)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinobunny

Reaction score
My bunny is on 7th day of Baytril treatment for snuffles.He got so much better, no runny nose or breathing problems anymore.He is eating very well and doing binkies etc just like a healthy bunny. But there is just one problem, his runny eyes are not completely treated unlike other symptoms.They are much better than before but still pinkish and little bit watery.What can be the reason, because medication seems to work just fine other than his eyes.There is still atleast a week for treatment to be finished, do you think it will go away completely when this treatment is done?

If the other symptoms are going away, it is likely that continued treatment will help the other eye too, unless for some reason it is watery due to an unrelated reason. Notably, sometimes antibiotic treatment for URIs are stopped too soon, so 14 is the absolute minimum typically.

You may want to consider continuing the baytril longer, giving it at least 4-6 weeks. It's best to go a little longer than stop the antibiotic treatment prematurely and have the infection come back.

The runny eyes could be from tear ducts clogged with pus from the upper respiratory infection. So if you stop the baytril before that part of the infection is also cleared up, you could end up with the respiratory infection coming back, and this time it could be resistant to the baytril being effective.

If he's not also on an antibiotic eye drop like enrofloxacin, gentamicin, ciprofloxacin, I would suggest starting that as well. This way if the tear ducts are clogged with infection, this will hit the infection from another direction and hopefully get it all cleared up. If you have an experienced rabbit vet to take your rabbit to, it can sometimes help to get the tear ducts flushed out first, though this could require the vet sedating your rabbit. But if your vet isn't experienced with rabbits, I wouldn't suggest having this done, as something could go wrong.

T
If the other symptoms are going away, it is likely that continued treatment will help the other eye too, unless for some reason it is watery due to an unrelated reason. Notably, sometimes antibiotic treatment for URIs are stopped too soon, so 14 is the absolute minimum typically.
Thank you🙏🏼

You may want to consider continuing the baytril longer, giving it at least 4-6 weeks. It's best to go a little longer than stop the antibiotic treatment prematurely and have the infection come back.

The runny eyes could be from tear ducts clogged with pus from the upper respiratory infection. So if you stop the baytril before that part of the infection is also cleared up, you could end up with the respiratory infection coming back, and this time it could be resistant to the baytril being effective.

If he's not also on an antibiotic eye drop like enrofloxacin, gentamicin, ciprofloxacin, I would suggest starting that as well. This way if the tear ducts are clogged with infection, this will hit the infection from another direction and hopefully get it all cleared up. If you have an experienced rabbit vet to take your rabbit to, it can sometimes help to get the tear ducts flushed out first, though this could require the vet sedating your rabbit. But if your vet isn't experienced with rabbits, I wouldn't suggest having this done, as something could go wrong.
I’ll try the antibiotic eye drops you mentioned, thank you so much :)

Latest posts

Back