Running Away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlowerBaby

Reaction score
Alright. Okay, first of all, Flower does not have the run of the house. So I try to let her out whenever I can (though not nearly enough). The problem is, whenever it's time for me to put her back in her cage, she always runs away from me. The last time I really had her out (1 hr+), it took me nearly 45 minutes to catch her again.

So my question is, is there any better way to get her to come back and not run away from me? Because this is getting way out of hand.

Is your bunny food motivated? My Humma is. He goes nuts for craisins, so when I need him to go in his pet carrier I lure him in with craisins. Worth a try? :)

You can definitely use food to attract her to you. But unfortunately most of my bunnies caught on to that trick. I let my bunnies out all the time as well. And at first, it was such a pain to get them back in. They would all run. But as they have gotten used to the routine, and have come to trust me, they don't run as much. lol. They all will try once, but then will submit to be picked up. I got a lot of exercise through that phase.

K

I know exactly how you feel... there's another thread like this out right now too (about getting bunnies into their cages.) You may want to check that one out for other replies.

Mine goes crazy for raisins! He caught onto the whole veggie trick and fruits, and wouldn't go in for that... but he doesn't want to miss out on a raisin so he heads in for it every time. :)

I got SO frustrated one day that I got REALLY angry because I was late for work... I started stomping around and he got scared of me and ran into his cage. This isn't the type of relationship I want with him... but it seemed to work. :| I tried being nice, but I had to get a little strict with him and that seemed to help... Though I don't suggest that.

Used to coax Derby in with his favourite bunny stuff we called the Trickster - for that reason . He has caught on to her, especially now he is neutered, food doesn't work either. He is like a cat, basically comes in from the fenced yard when it is on his terms. Last couple of days earlier as it is pretty hot out there. He hides under the steps and it is near impossible to get him out. If I see him in a corner of the yard I sneak out and scoop him up. Some days he sees me coming and runs like a streak. good luck with your bunny wraggling.

We had an issue with this when we first brought cookie home... But after he was neutered and he moved house upstairs to my hubby's office... We let him out and he runs around anywhere for 40 minutes to 3hrs and then he come to me and stares at me lol and races upstairs and waits for me to come and open the door and let him back in... He HATES being picked up or corralled so we just make sure that whenever we let him out there is enough time to let him tire out... He will also come running if we shake the can of oats ;)

If your bunny isn't food-orientated, try training her that phrases like "time to go to bed" or "cage-time" means she has to go in. I am slooowly trying with my rabbits. I still end up walking around a lot anyways.

kagerod wrote:
If your bunny isn't food-orientated, try training her that phrases like "time to go to bed" or "cage-time" means she has to go in. I am slooowly trying with my rabbits. I still end up walking around a lot anyways.
It does get better in time. My bunnies know when I say "It's time" it's time. Took awhile but they do catch on. Bunnies are very intelligent. Just takes time and patience. It will work.

K

She does really good when I put her in her cage for the night (she sleeps in a smaller cage because she digs, ahaha). I'll just bring her cage out and she hops right in C: Hopefully she'll be just as good when putting her back in her larger cage c:

Latest posts

Back