Run of House

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napagirl

Reaction score
So for those that let their bunnies have run of house, how did you accomplish this? I've read about various cord covers, and still do not know which type to get. I would think that is the only hazard in my house that I can think of, except for my two small dogs, who have a run in the garage during the day (they tend to piddle :) So does anyone leave the rabbit to most of the house while gone during the day? And what did you do to rabbit-proof cords? any other concerns or damage issues?

The bonded pair I had did have limited run of the downstairs. (My current trio are upstairs in the 'neutral zone' awaiting their transition downstairs).

I hid or put up any cords I could. The ones that were exposed I used clear tubing sold by the foot at lowes or home depot. Some people prefer the black flexible tubing. It's all found in the same area of the store. I just slit the tubing lengthwise and wrap it around the cord. Some of my bunnies would still chew the tubing, but not quick enough to get to the cord, so it still needs to be checked periodically.

Since each bunny is different, it's a good idea to still monitor your bunny for awhile to detect any weaknesses in your bunny-proofing. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised until I was sure they couldn't get into trouble. I'll see if I can find photos of some of my bunny proofing.

They had access to the family room, eat-in kitchen and hallway. I closed the doors to the pantry, office, laundry rm and bathroom. I had to blockoff access to the area behind our entertainment center (cords). I did that with a couple 2x4s nailed into an 'L' that slides behind it. (sorry, I'll have to find photo. I know that sounds confusing)

I also had to block off the stairs. I made a barricade that seemed to work, but after a couple weeks, Sapphire discovered she could scramble over it. :p So then I had to add height to it (and I was just beginning to think it would be ok to leave them out without me there).

I have long curtains, so I have to pull them up or they will dig on them.

2ivmkqo.jpg

I put together the above collage awhile ago. It's hard to see, but the middle right photo has a wrapped cord for my snake tank heater. The bottom middle photo shows a block to keep them from going behind the couch. That was just the cardboard insert from a fabric bolt. I switched later to a thin wood board. (And, yes, they ate that mint plant all the way down)

Blue eyes, Thank you for your extensive reply with photos! It helps immensely! and Imbrium, thanks for the site link... tomorrow, after getting some sleep, I will ck it out!

These are all great ideas... and, I have to ask, was/is it scary to leave the house for 9hrs for work with bun bun inside? I picture some sort of obstacle I did not think about ahead of time...

honestly, I don't let mine free roam as I haven't bothered to bunny proof my cluttered house and they're young/unspayed so their potty habits are a little lacking - I have a 70+ square foot run set up with playpens instead; they take up most of the living room.

I'm paranoid, so I'm sure if I did bunny proof, I would give it quite a while with them only running loose while I was at home before I left them there while I was out all day.

Agnes has free run of our downstairs level. I'm lucky because she isn't much of a chewer so carpet and walls have been fine, and I had only one cord in her reach which I have wrapped in a blanket. I don't think she even knows it's a cord! The tv and electronics are high up on built in shelves so I didn't need to worry about those.
Our initial issues were her peeing on our couch and climbing on furniture and falling! I was worried she would get hurt.
But we got her spayed and that has all stopped. Yay!

I live in a one bedroom apartment, so there isn't a ton of space to worry about. I blocked off my bedroom with a puppy gate, and I keep the bathroom door closed. They won't walk on tile, so they stick to the carpeted living room. Wires are tucked away or covered in plastic tubing.

I made sure to introduce them to the space gradually with supervision, and for a while watched them with a webcam while I was at school. And now I trust them.

Rascal has found some things to get into I never expected (he keeps me on my toes!) but I think at this point they can't do any more damage.

I have found they are much LESS destructive when they are out all the time. When I had just Rascal, when I kept him in his cage and then let him out, he'd go on a destructive rampage - chewing everything, digging, etc. Like he was upset at being caged up. But he's much more chill when he's out all the time.

I do not have much to add. My rabbits only have run of my small kitchen when I am supervising them. There are no cords to protect. The only thing that they can get into is the gaps between the fridge and wall, washer and wall, and dryer and wall. Eventually when I move I hope that there will be an area that they can claim as their own. I will have to bunny proof that. The move is not until May at the earliest though.

I lived in two different apartments and both places, my two bunnies were free range. I coiled up cords, and had no problems with that. They did however, chew on a few furniture pieces and base boards. I tried apple bitter and as recommended on, either her or another rabbit info site, Ivory soap. They seemed to eat up both!
But they LOVED the freedom!
With that said, my new husband and I just bough a home. He didn't want the boys chewing on baseboards as they had. Now, they have a 'gate' around their cage. THey still get exercise, but I feel guilty that they don't run like they used to. So...every other day, we build a 'runway' and boy do they run and binkie!

My first rabbit was a free roaming bunny, but tended to stay on one floor at all times. He would venture down the stairs and zip back up without lingering much.

My Atticus is a free roaming house bunny. I rearranged so he can't get to any cords. The tubing that goes over wires has gotten some awesome reviews from my bunny-going friends, so I think it's worth checking out.

The only time I worry about leaving him home alone is if there is a fire would I be able to find him in time to get him out? With my other pets who are caged, I know right where they'll be, you know? Maybe I'm just a worry wort.

Latest posts

Back