Rug eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stang-girl13

Reaction score
My bunny is eatting the rig in my apartment....how do you get them to stop ?

You can try clapping your hands or making a loud noise whenever she does it, but to be honest that wouldn't really stop a determined bunny for long. Bunnybubs will just wait till your back is turned to do it! Your best bet is to remove the rug or restrict her access to it somehow...that's what I've had to do. We've got a nice shaggy rug under the coffee table that I've had to block off with boxes when the bunnies come out, or they'd pee on it endlessly and chew the fibers.

Barley does this too. I guess he thinks it's grass he's cropping, although it's very short berber carpeting. I do the hand-clapping thing too and it only deters him momentarily. When I'm not downstairs with him, he's confined to an enclosed area in which I have put a cheap rug from Walmart. He doesn't seem too interested in biting at that, fortunately. He has plenty of chew toys, hay, sticks, etc. I suppose you could enclose an area for him and put an old sheet down?

Mt two girls will do that. The only thing I have found to even come close to dealing with it is to cover the carpet. The girls always chew at a corner on each end of the cage formed by the wall and the side of their cage. I either have larger pieces of cardboard down that are held in place by the cage or a box. I still have to keep an eye on them as they can move the boxes and eventually chew and dig at the cardboard pieces until they are no longer affected.

If it is a certain small area or two you can if possible place a table or something over that spot. You could try spraying with bitter apple but would want to first check on a very small spot to make sure it would not stain the carpet.

Provide them with a lot more toys and bunny safe items to chew.

My guy likes to dig and chew the carpet too. I have been putting down cardboard over the spot he likes to chew so he can destroy that instead. He actually really likes chewing the cardboard to bits, and it saves my carpet!

I had to put a brick over the spot. Chico already made it bald and to keep it from spreading I took an extra brick from outdoors and that finally stopped him but you can't brick up your entire carpet. He was doing in the bathroom which is where he plays at and has his excercise time.

Carboard over the spot works well.. let us know how it goes!

Vanessa

Awww thanks may have to cover it ...our hole apartment is carpet so not much I can do I yel hay really loud than she looks up at me like what mom what did I do ...than she gose back to doing it lol

I use a spray bottle with water. Whenever Daysi starts to dig or chew the carpet ....I give her a squirt. She hates it. It hasn't completely stopped her...but she does it less frequently.

My carpet is destroyed by Ziggy. She digs up and de-threads entire corners. Nothing stops her, nothing. Even when objects are placed on, in or around...she finds a way. Good luck and if you find a working remedy, please share!

Cover your carpet with something else (a less appetizing rug or something more solid) and give him some grass mats or something else that it's okay for him to dig and chew at.

Latest posts

Back