Roger is eating the walls...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyngdorf

Reaction score
My little terrorist Roger, 18 weeks old, is eating the walls.... He gnaws on every corner he can find, and he eats the paint that comes off... I have told him NO a hundred times, sprayed the walls with some disgusting dog spray etc. What more can I do? Could it be that he lacks some minerals etc. ? He has got a salt stone and a mineral stone. By the way, it is really hard to cover the walls so that he cant get to them...

All ideas welcome!

Thanks,

Sandra

Rabbits will chew on any darn thing. It does not necessarily mean a nutricianal deficiency. You will just have find away to block access to the walls. Good luck.

We had this problem. They stripped the wall paper off.

There is special bunny spray you can get to spray on the walls, it takes gross to them, but is not toxic. I would be wary of using dog spray because it might be toxic to the bunnies.

We tried stimulating our bunnies in other ways, like giving them lots of toys, i.e. wood chews, toilet rolls, tunnels, anything that interested him and gives him something else to chew on.

We also tried using a run in the house so that they stayed in an area that they could cause minimal damage to the house, lol.

Also, neutering will probably help this undesirable behavior, so that might be something to think about too.

I also wanted to add that rabbits chew because of both a psychological and physical need.

Physically it helps their teeth, psychologically they do it when they are bored, and because they have an in-built need to chew. So giving him things he can chew on should help.

Thanks all of you! Great idea with the corner guards! I will try to find some here in Iceland or I will make some :) He has got loads of toys and chew things like boxes, toilet rolls and egg cartons which he uses but for some reason he enjoys the walls more...lol! And he was neutered 6 weeks ago:D

It's good that a, he has been neutered and b, you have provided lots of toys :)

Rabbits have a dinky attention span so it is vital to change the toys frequently, try new ones. Youcould easilybuild up a huge stash of things, like toilet rolls, flower pots, wood off cuts,boxes, etc, and then swap them all around regularly so that your bun doesn't get bored.

Latest posts

Back