Rodney's Got a Sore Mouth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney's Dad

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Rodney (my 3 year old Mini Lop) wasn't eating his full breakfast (leafy greens and some pellets) or his evening meal (leafy greens). He is so predictable, so this is very unusual. He's totally free roam and is with me 24/7.

We took him to the vet and everything is good apart from a small scratch in his mouth, between front and rear teeth. The vet thinks it might have been caused by his hay. Have others had similar issues? He's still not eating it all, and it's been 5 days or so. He's happy enough in himself, but I do worry about him not eating all of his food.

Any advice very welcome.

I'm assuming the vet ruled out sharp points on the teeth causing it because it's in between the front and back teeth? Did the vet give you take home pain meds(meloxicam) and a recovery food mix to syringe feed until your bun is eating regularly on his own again? Is he eating anything on his own?

Hi There,
Thanks for the reply.
The vet did rule out sharp bits on the teeth. He is eating on his own, just not as much.
Not eating his evening meal in one go and and not eating breakfast in one go is so unusual for Rodney. It's little an often at the moment, and a reduced amount. Rodney is my first rabbit and I'm a bit paranoid. I didn't have any particular desire for a rabbit, but I wouldn't be without him now.
The vet gave him a single shot of pain meds. I might get him some more just in case.

I would ask for some meloxicam to give at home. It will help relieve the pain some. Something else that might help is soft food. Either soaking his usual pellets in warm water(made up fresh, not letting sit out too long) or feeding a rabbit recovery food mix. It might be that hard food is rubbing too much on the sore in his mouth. If he is used to leafy greens/herbs, those should be easier to eat as well. It's important that he continues to eat enough or he could develop GI stasis. If he's not eating enough on his own, you may need to ask your vet about starting supplementing with syringe feeds.

If there isn't improvement in the next few days, I would want the vet to check to make sure the sore hasn't become infected, causing it to still be painful to him.

Hi J Bun,
Thanks for the reply again. Thankfully Rodney is much better today. Back to his normal self in that he's tearing round the house and chewing his boxes. He's also very affectionate.
I think that we will get some meloxicam in as he's had a couple of episodes in the past where a bit of pain relief would have been good.

Latest posts

Back