Robbie's hiding spot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo

Reaction score
HI all, I have owned my 3 year old mini lop Robbie for around 3 months or so. He is an outdoor rabbit and lives happily in our fairly large suburban backyard. However there is one spot he has found a liking to hiding away in, behind our garden shed between the shed and the fence. I myself can't fit behind the shed so when he goes there I can't get him out, unless I give him a quick spray with the hose. I am not very handy but have tried to block off access a few times, he has sometimes gone weeks without getting through and seemed to have given up, but then was at it again digging his way under my defences. He got in behind the shed one day when i was out and ended up digging a hole under the fence to the neighbour's property and now can hide out in it and I can't see him nor get him out. I have no idea how long this tunnel is or where it leads, though on the neighbour's side there is also a shed so would need to dig for a good 2 metres before hitting grass on the other side.

He has spent four different nights down there, seemingly gone for 12 hours each time, but each morning he has emerged to return to our backyard, have his usual food and water and carry on as normal. Normally he is put in his hutch for the night. Our yard and suburban location is not a likely place for predators but obviously just in case he sleeps in his hutch each night (except for these four nights he has spent down his burrow).

I was wondering, is it likely that this little tunnel he has made is a one way tunnel and he won't be digging himself out the other end? I don't know much about the typical behaviour of pet rabbits. If I knew he wasn't going to dig himself out the other end then I would probably let him go down there as he seems to really want to and it allows him to dig to his heart's content. He hasn't expressed an interest in digging anywhere much else. But I am worried he might escape at the other end, wherever that may be. So I will probably get someone handier than me to properly block off access, unless it is likely that he will be safe down there and won't escape at the other end.

Would love any thoughts or advice!

My understanding is that rabbits always like to have at least 2 exits (so they can escape if need be). It would be a good idea to prevent him from being able to dig out of the yard. The RWAF has suggestions for outdoor housing. Following is a quote from their site.

..."But be aware that unless you take appropriate precautions, they are likely to dig their way out, which could put them at risk from predators.

So, if you have your run on grass, either make sure you move or fill in holes regularly, fit a wire-mesh skirt, or place paving slabs around the perimeter to slow them down and make it more difficult for your rabbits to tunnel out.

Rabbits with enclosures on concrete, slabs or decking (or in grass runs with a wire mesh skirt around the perimeter) will not be able to dig out, making them more secure. But because digging is a natural behaviour, you will need to provide them with an alternative: a digging pit, which could be a large litter tray or planter filled with earth. This will need to be changed regularly."

Thanks Blue Eyes, sounds like good advice. I will make sure to block off the exit, as much as he loves digging out there. A digging pit of some sort sounds like a good idea.

Latest posts

Back