Road Trip With Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on traveling with a bunny? My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to New York in about two weeks and it's about a ten hour drive. I really want to take my rabbit with us but I'm also hesitant. I don't really have anyone who I'd trust to watch her for an entire week and I'm not sure if I would be able to board her at her vet or not. She doesn't really mind the car, but she does not like her carrier. I want her to be as comfortable as possible on that long drive, but I also don't want to endanger her in anyway. Does anyone have any tips on traveling long distances in a car with their babies? Is there a way to make sure she takes water and food and goes to the bathroom? Would it be best to just leave her here? Thanks everyone!

Here's a good link on transport tips:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Transport/Car/Car.htm

It's best to keep her in the carrier during the journey. It's the safest for her. Keep stops to a minimum to make the trip as short as possible. Keep hay in there and a water bottle.

Once you've arrived, she can get out in whatever space you have for her. I like to use ex-pens for such occasions. I bring mats from their home cage and their litter box so it seems less unfamiliar. I either bring a (collapsible) cardboard box or use the carrier as a hidey place inside her new area.

Here are a couple "away from home" setups: (the last one was in a hotel)
upload_2020-2-20_19-21-34.png
upload_2020-2-20_19-21-52.png
upload_2020-2-20_19-23-28.png

If she’s skittish or scared easily it might be better to leave her but many bunnies do fine in travel.

If you want to take her with you keep her in her carrier. It’s safer for all of you.
I put a towel in my carrier and add a lot of hay. If you have one of those carriers that can put a water bottle on the outside of it do that, otherwise you’ll have to keep making sure she’s drinking. Id also put a towel that smells like her over the carrier. I find that my rabbit is calmer when he can’t see what’s going on. Every time you stop for petrol (gas) or food, offer water and maybe veggies if you need to feed her.

The setups @Blue eyes posted are good!

If your hesitant to take her with you, some people board bunnies for fairly cheap. My local farm boards bunnies for £9 a day but I found a really good business that boards bunnies for £15 but is heated and AC and they provide everything.
I’m not sure how much my vet cost (probably pretty expensive).
Google ‘rabbit boarding’ near me or in my area and some results with come up. Two weeks could be pretty pricey but you should be able to find someone within your budget. Also a neighbour maybe could do it. Maybe a neighbours kid (13+).They’d do it for cheap and with a simple list of what to do, your rabbit should be okay for 2 weeks. Someone with a pet???

This is probably a horrible idea, but whatever. I was thinking if you have a larger car (like a minivan, suburban, or 4 runner) you could lay back or remove the bottom seats and set up a playpen back there with the flooring a tarp/blanket, and bring water, a litter box, and hay. She might get slung around so maybe not a good idea. Just an idea that popped up in my head.

This is probably a horrible idea, but whatever. I was thinking if you have a larger car (like a minivan, suburban, or 4 runner) you could lay back or remove the bottom seats and set up a playpen back there with the flooring a tarp/blanket, and bring water, a litter box, and hay. She might get slung around so maybe not a good idea. Just an idea that popped up in my head.

The carrier is safer because she won't get flung around (as you mentioned). They are usually stressed anyway so being confined in the small space of a carrier can make them feel safer (like hiding).

The hutch Larry (@Nancy McClelland ) mentioned has the same idea as a carrier -- a familiar, confined space.

You can train her and get used with the carrier. But if she really get stressed then it will be best to leave her home.

Myself own two bunnies that will just eat the hay, wet veggies and sleep when they ride the car in the carrier. They even run up to the carrier and try to break into it before we go. Because they know they will get yummy treats/food and can be lazy bunnies. They fall asleep deep and always flop.

While the one that stress can only handle 3 hours of car drive. She won’t eat the food or drink water but will only nibble a little hay. You can really see how stressed and scared she gets.

But you know your bunny best what she can handle and be okay with.

Latest posts

Back