RIP (WasURGENT!! I think my rabbit's dying).

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikoli

Reaction score
I found him later this afternoon, after I got home from school, around 4:00. I let him out onto the grass, and he seemed alright. He had a poopy butt, and I just said that I'd clean it later. Then I came out again at 6:00, and he was really lethargic and I noticed that he hadn't eaten yesterday's dinner, and there was still half of the day before's food there too. I picked him up, and he was really light, and very weak.

He IS drinking, he is not eating. He's two years old, a dwarf lop, and recently he's been a bit underweight, but it's MUCH worse today. I haven't let him out for two days, because I've been really busy with schoolwork. I haven't has as much time as I used to for him since we got our puppy. Don't try to make me feel bad, I already feel like my heart's about to burst.

He's inside in his carrier now, with water, carrots, apples, lettuce and hay.

I NEED HELP! Please don't ignore this if you have any advice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it was really hot today (it's cool now), and he had crusty bits over his nose, which were blocking his breathing. They're off now.

What sort of stuff is safe to give rabbits in water? That might help him? He's drinking pretty easily, if I squirt it into his mouth.

OHMIGOSH

Okay advice time,

Have you checked the teeth?

If they are overgrown rabbits won't eat - if they are not i would check with a vet,

hope that helps a tad.:?

His teeth look alright to me ... but he's making a grinding noise whenever he eats.

They're definately not seriously overgrown. Maybe a little ...

I'll try to get a picture.

A picture might help - even if they don't look too overgrown why don't you give him something to knaw on or somthing i dont know why but that might get him used to using his teeth again if he hasn't eaten for a while.

I went to go and give him a hug, and he didn't have any intrest in me (a good sign, he was too weak to fight me off before), hopped right back into his cage, grabbed a mouthful of something and started eating!

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

His teeth are grinding while he eats though.

Definitely get him drinking, the poopy butt is serious.

What is he eating? When did you last see his poops?

Is his nose or chin wet at all?

He needs to be kept cool and well hydrated.. . can you get Pedialyte there?

Gas meds with Simethicone may help as well.

And tummy massages.

sas

Thats great he is eating but still keep a close eye on him just in case!

Mikoli wrote:
grabbed a mouthful of something and started eating!

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

His teeth are grinding while he eats though.

We don't have any rabbit meds. And I doubt we have any human meds that might help, either.

HE IS EATING, DRINKING, AND POOPING! :D His poops are a bit runny, but I found one in his carrier that definately wasn't there before.

He seems most willing to drink than anything else. I'm thinking he was dehydrated? It's possible his water bottle got stuck. I swear, I am going to burn his old water bottle, and buy him five new ones, plus a container for water to go in.

He's in the bathroom. It's cool, but not cold. It might get cold there later tonight though (it's 9 o'clock in australia). Should I give him a blanket?

As soon as I finish writing this post and my homework prints off, I'll go and give him some tummy massages. All he seems to want to do is sleep in his carrier. And drink water.

Also, Pipp, his nose was very runny and wet today (probably because of heat), and, as I said before, by the time I came out to see him tonight it had all crusted over his nose. He was having trouble breathing, so I wet his nose a bit and pulled the gunk off. I probably shouldn't have washed his nose with water, but, I mean, he couldn't breathe, so what was I supposed to do?

His mouth is wet because of the same reason, but it wasn't dribbling before I got there.

Pedialyte is for human babies with diarrhea, Simethicone (like Gas-X) is for babys or adults with gas, neither are actually bunny meds.

But it does sound like he overheated,also aserious issue.The teeth-grinding, though,indicatestherecould be more too it.

If you can get Pedialyte or even GatorAde, that's better than water. Or youcan make your ownelectrolyte replacement formula, there's a recipte kicking around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Bunnies are 'air cooled'. The best way to keep them cool is to make sure he has fresh, circulating air.The breath the majority of theirbody heat out with their breath, that's why an overheated bunny will usually have a wet muzzle and chin.

I'll look for the links.

What is he eating?

sas :?

Oh my,

I am way late on this but what is the news??? Maybe we should "sticky" the recipe in this section to keep it on hand? Here is the recipe in case it helps:

Ingredients:

1 quart of water
2-4 teaspoons of sugar (or 1-2 teaspoons of fructose)
1 teaspoon of salt

Directions:

Boil water, add sugar (or fructose) and salt, then stir. Let it cool down.

Bunnies like it a little bit warm. Refrigerate what you do not use and do not keep it more than 48 hours; make a new batch.

[align=justify]Bunnies who are not eating or drinking should be given 30 cc/per pound of bunny/per day (e.g., a 5-pound bunny needs 150 cc per day). This is extremely important so the bunny doesn't get dehydrated until you can take the rabbit to the vet.[/align]
[align=justify][/align]

Oh geeze, just seeing this!

How long has he had the poopy butt? Any idea? That could be making him very dehydrated so keep him drinking.

I see you said you were giving him apples and lettuce and carrots. If he has poopy butt I would take all of those out and make sure hes not eating anything sweet or high in starches/carbs. You want him eating lots of fiber- meaning pellets and lots of hay. Do you have any canned pumpkin you can offer him? Other than that, I would say no fruits or veggies.

Do you have a rabbit savvy vet you can get him to? This sounds serious if its GI trouble combined with grinding his teeth and the runny nose and all. He will probably need fluids and an antibiotic from the sounds of things.

He survived the night.

I must go to school now. I'll get my mum to put some sugar and salt in his water as specified.

He had poopy butt a few weeks ago, but that cleared up without hassle. It was mainly because he was sitting in the same spot in his cage for so long.

We don't have any pellets to give him, as we bought a full bucket about the time he started acting a bit off, so we don't want to give him any more just in case.

He has access to hay.

He seems to have improved a little.

He's gone.

He died in my arms about 4:00 today. He waited until I got home from school. He was doing so much better, so I took him out onto the grass outside. He ran down the fence one last time before I took him in. Once he got in the bathroom, he started having convulsions. His pain stopped. My last words to him were "I love you".

November '05 - March '08.

It just hurts so much.

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear this! I just saw the thread and I think you posted as I was reading through it... I'm really sorry, I can imagine how you're feeling. When my first bunny died, I felt powerless and like maybe there was something I could have done. The pain of losing a bunny is so terrible. I'll be thinking of you. :hug: I'm glad you got to hold him and talk to him as he died, I'm sure it was less scary for him than if he was alone.

Rest in peace, dear Ollie, and have fun with all the other bunnies in heaven. :angelandbunny:

Latest posts

Back