(RIP) UPDATE: Luna has stones in both kidneys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know what the stones are made of? Calcium? I was just reading a mini-rant by someone in Wisconsin (this was on Craigslist) and it was saying how WI water is high(er) in Calcium in certain places. *shrug* Maybe that could help, even if it helps a tiny bit...

Good to know that's she's not getting worse. She will still continue to be her adorable, Dutchy self! :p

*hugs*

I am so glad you finally got some good news. I hope Luna keeps those stones small so they can all pass. She is such a little fighter. I think we need to see more pictures.

:woohooLuna had her teeth done today!!!!! :biggrin2:

I talked with Dr. Travis after the bunnerswere ready to go, and he had said that Luna's kidney values looked spot-on. He actually looked very pleased about her blood panel results. :DShe won't have to go back for another eight weeks when Patrick gets his next dental done. At that point, Luna will just have an x-ray and probably a blood test to find out how things are going. She will now be on a sixteen week dental schedule so as not to stress her system too much. The only thing I have to watch for is a decrease in her appetite, and I don't think that will happen anytime soon because she is such a little piggie with her snacks (she actually had a blackberry stain running up the white part of her nose from this morning's berry-snack :p).

So now we don't just get to celebrate her first Gotchya Day (this past Sunday), but we also get to celebrate her kidneys doing well. It's like bonus points for all that she has had to go through these past few months!!! :D

Thanks for all of the good vibes everyone!!! They are really working!!! :biggrin2:

myheart

Thanks for celebrating with me k~! :biggrin2:

Sorry to say, but the blood panelonly shows that the kidneys are doing their job for the time-being. The only thing that will show whether or not there is any improvement, would be an x-ray.

Dr. Travis opted not to do an x-ray this time, even though I said it would be okay because I am curious tosee myself. He must have been happy enough with the panel results showing good,or much better than expected,kidneyfunction. :D

So, Luna will still need good vibes for a while longer. I am hoping that there will be a reduction of stones by the end of summer. I hope that some fresh air, sunshine, and less stress from being cooped up in the house will help her heal a bit more. I am already thinking about picking up a fourth exercise pen for more binky-room. :D

myheart

I am happy you got soem good news today. I hope the good news continues. Is she still getting the sub q fluids? I am still sending you and Luna good vibes. You both are doing such a good job.

ThanksMaureen and Amy for the well wishes!!! :weee:

Yes, Amy, Luna still has to get the sub-q's. She will probably have to have them for quite a long time, if not for the rest of her life. I will hope and pray that Luna will beat the odds by eliminating more stones and become stone-free by October. Without hope, no one would be able to move mountains.... Many people say that prayers heal cancer victims. Why couldn't prayers help my little bunny beat the odds and the prognonsis to become stone-free? ;)

How is Chase doing lately? Is he still sludge/calcium-free? How often do you have to take him back for testing now? Any different treatments?

myheart

:yahoo:I cannot tell you how happy I am to hear this:). Just shows that all your hard work giving Luna the sub-q's is having a positive effect. And, of course, Luna's attitude probably has something to do with it too;)

Oh, and how did I miss her first Gotcha Day? :( I am so sorry. Tell Luna to forgive me, and give her lots of ear scritches and nose rubs (and a few treats, too)!

Jan

Thanks Jan! Yes, I do believe you are right about Luna's attitude being a big help to her overall health. She is just the funniest little bunner you ever wanted to see!! :biggrin2:

You may have missedLuna's Gotchya Day because I only posted about it on Patch and Luna's thread. I didn't make a separate thread on the forum for it. Here the link to the page (you might have to scroll to the bottom of the page). I posted a few then and now pics of her...

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=34638&forum_id=6&page=6

myheart

myheart wrote:
ThanksMaureen and Amy for the well wishes!!! :weee:

Yes, Amy, Luna still has to get the sub-q's. She will probably have to have them for quite a long time, if not for the rest of her life. I will hope and pray that Luna will beat the odds by eliminating more stones and become stone-free by October. Without hope, no one would be able to move mountains.... Many people say that prayers heal cancer victims. Why couldn't prayers help my little bunny beat the odds and the prognonsis to become stone-free? ;)

How is Chase doing lately? Is he still sludge/calcium-free? How often do you have to take him back for testing now? Any different treatments?

myheart

Chase is doing good thanks for asking. She is still calcium/sludge free.We are waiting for her blood work to come back to make sure the Lasix isn't causing any problems and if all is ok she will go once a month for her lab work. She will have to get that done as long as she is on the Lasix. She is getting sub q's once a week, Lasix, some banana and raisins for the potassium every day and that is it.

I think it is very important to have hope. I am sure Luna can feel your hopeful/positive vibe and I am sure that helps her. I read in When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care book about how to avoid caregiver burnout and it was so inspiring and made me feel so good. When I read it I was still going through a lot with Chase and I really thought you would enjoy it to. It really makes you feel good. I wanted to type it out and post it for you because I think you would find it motivating like I did, I have just been lazy. I should really do it, it is only like 4 pages long.

How is my girl recovering? Is it like after her other dentals or different? Give her some nose rubs and kisses from me!

Amy, no need to type all that out! I think Janet might have the book, if not she can borrow it from me next time she's down here.:)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
:cry2HAPPY TEARS!! :balloons:

Way to Go little Luna!

Thanks Bo B, I will be sure to tell her that you are excited for her.

Naturestee, Luna did fine for her recovery after the anesthetic. She was more than happy to eat her salad and berries... she was one hungry bunny!!! :D

I think I was more worried about Patrick later in the evening, than I wasabout Luna. He just seemed to be "not with it" at times. He ate his snacks just fine also, but whenhe was resting, he looked really out of it. Made me worry a bit until he woke up and started thumping for his Luna-girl. I think I am going to have the blood test done for him the next time he goes for a dental just to make sure his systems are still able to take the anesthesia. The vet keeps saying he is running out of tooth material, but they keep growing....

myheart

Just wanted to make a quick post about Luna's vet visit today (eight weeks later)...

Luna' vet said that her kidneys show no, or very little, change from her last x-ray. No stones in her bladder, right kidney full of stones, and left kidney about half-full of stones. Blood test was okay.One of the values was on the high-end of normal, but was still okay.

Patrick had another dental done. His upper teeth showvery little to nogrowth meaning they are about done. His bottom teeth are still growing. Just afraid he might have to have the bottom teeth pulled if the upper teeth are gone at some point.

After the vet visit, we went for a visit with naturestee. I think she was very happy to see how her Luna Belle is doing. Both Luna and Patrick were busy chinninganything and everything to make sure naturestee's bunners knew somebun else was in their domain. :coolness:Luna and Patrick were so busy and very alert for the half-hour visit. Then I could tell that Luna was ready for nap-time because she was getting sleepy-bunny face. So we packed up, headed for home, had salads and berries, and took naps. Thanks, naturestee,for having us over and for the garden-fresh greens. The green-leaf lettuce was a hit for afternoon salad today. We will try the other greens for salad tomorrow. I have to figure out how/where I am going to grow my own cilantro....

myheart

Poor Luna girl. It is good news, however, to hear that things aren't going in the wrong direction.

I hope Patch doesn't have to loose all his teeth! I didn't know that rabbits' teeth ever stopped growing. I guess having no teeth might go well with the whole dirty old man image he has, though! ;)

I'm so glad you got to get together with naturestee. You two did such a great thing for Ms. Luna, getting her a healthy weight, and a happy home. I thought of those first pictures of Luna today, and look how far she's come!

I guess this news is kind of a double edged sword :expressionless. It's a shame that her kidneys still have so many stones, but at least things are no worse, and her bladder is clear. She is such a brave little girl!

And I didn't realise that bunnies teeth stopped growing either. Does the vet think that the bottom ones may stop as well?

Glad to hear you all got to visit Naturestee - and she let you leave with both bunnies ;)

Give all your Dutchie Train a hug from here

Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
Glad to hear you all got to visit Naturestee - and she let you leave with both bunnies ;)

Give all your Dutchie Train a hug from here

Jan

LOL Jan.... I think she would have noticed if I tried to leave with Oberon also... Trust me, I try each and every time to get him in my clutches.

I think Naturestee is all good with Luna being my baby. She knew the situation would be temporary and that she was the "bad guy" giving Luna meds and such during her foster time. Naturestee even said that Luna didn't feel comfortable being picked up by her. So when it was time to go, I just scooped Luna up, and Naturestee just looked so surprised because of the grunts and wiggles Luna gave her. Luna just melted in my arms...:D

I didn't know that rabbit teeth stopped growing either. I think Bo B said that horse teeth are that way also. They have just so much tooth material for grinding on the hay, then at some point, theystop growing and just ware down.

Yes, I will give all of the babies a hug from you, as well as a smooch or two on the head....:D

myheart

I wasn't going to update this thread fora while yet, but I noticed that it was linked with the "Urinary Tract Problems" thread in the RO Library. So I thoughtit best to do the update aslearning information for other members with buns whomayhave kidney stones. So here goes...

Luna went back to the vet earlier this week because she had a very painful/bad weekend. Things seemed a bit "off" for her the weekprior, which prompted me to make the appointment. But that weekend was bad because she started to sit all hunched up and grinding her teeth. The appointment couldn't come soon enough...

The vet tookx-rays and did a blood test. Thex-rays show that the stones are getting biggernow, which means there is less functioning kidney mass to filter toxins.Luna had pee'ed while theyhad her in the back, and the pee was basically water with little to no color. Another sign that liquids are just flowing through her system without taking any toxins out. The bigger stones are also the cause for the increased pain she is experiencing.

The blood test shows that all ofher levels have tripled since her last blood test. Manyof the values are dangerously high for rabbits. Luna had becomevery wobbly over the weekend, and the high levels of toxins were the reason forthe behavior. Luna still knew what she wanted to do and could still move about the house, but was unstable doing them.

The only treatment Luna will receive at this point will be fluids every day instead of every other day. The hope is that the fluids will help some of the toxin levels come down to a livable/functioning level. I am actually able to see a difference before giving the fluids and after. Luna seems unstable before, and very demanding for her blackberry after :)Dsome things don't change for my Luna Belle and her berry habit).The pain medication, Tramadol, was also doubled in strength and dose so that Luna will be able to cope with the pain a bit better. The metacam was dropped and taken outof her medication regime because it is hard on the kidneys.

So this is the beginningof the end for Luna.If the fluid treatments work, I may have another month or two with her. If they don't work, maybe a week or two. In the end, the toxin levels will become too high for her body to handle them. Her organs will start to shut down and she will slip into a coma. She will then pass away in her sleep. If I feel that she is in too much pain as the end draws near, the vet will assist her with Patrick and Zappa present. He will administer a sleep/pain med first, wait for that to take affect, and then administer the heart-stopping med.

Will post more as I notice differences in her behavior or looks. For now, she is enjoying everything she has always had... her salads and berries, her time to run around the house, and her cuddle-time with Patrick and Zappa. Nothing has changed for her other than the treatments we do.

myheart

Latest posts

Back