(RIP) Penelope not feeling well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korr_and_Sophie

Reaction score
Penelope is now at the vet for overnight care. She will be on fluids and pain medication. She has not been eating much (had some veggies yesterday), not been pooping, has a hard belly and grinding her teeth. The vet doesn't seem to think there is a good prognosis. Her temperature is about 35.6[sup]o[/sup]C, which is a couple degrees below normal.
I am really just hoping she will pull through the night.

IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Description (Breed, color, weight): Lionhead, mostly white, 3.4kg-was 3.6 in October.

Sex: Spayed female

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: She was lethargic yesterday and only ate some veggies. This morning she had mucous poop and I don't think she has eaten during the night. I got a vet appointment for 3:40 today. She is now at the vets overnight for fluids, pain meds and other care.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? I don't think she has pooped since yesterday.
- when did they last use their litterbox? Don't know
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits?
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? Wood pellets in the litter box, blankets in rest of cage.

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? yes
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? Only been to the vet for check ups and to be spayed.
- is s/he on any medications? no

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? Oxbow BB/T (about 3/8 between her and Korr per day), Farm timothy hay, parsely, cilantro, romaine lettuce and bok choy.
- when and what did s/he eat last?
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) She hasn't been eating many pellets in the last day or so. Ate veggies yesterday.

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? She can hop normally, but just wants to lay down
- is the rabbit molting? yes, but I think it may be due to her being sick. She wasn't molting last week.
- any weight loss? about 200g since October, but I think it has been more gradual than sudden.
- any sign of drooling? wet face? no
- runny eyes? no
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? no
- is s/he breathing normally I think so

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? no
- has the rabbit been outdoors? no
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? no

The vet just called. Her temp is up (not sure how much though), she is also taking food from a syringe. The vet is also giving her some anti biotics. Hopefully she will continue to do better tomorrow.

This sounds like a gas attack / GI issue, but you need to find the cause.

Unless there's been a diet change, the slow weight loss needs to be scrutinized.

Further diagnostics I'd think would be a blood test or x-rays unless you can peg the symptoms a bit better.

I've had this happen from everything from a molar spur to abdominal cancer.

Have the vets gotten a good look at her teeth? If her eating habits look like it may be teeth related, then a closer examination is in order, often a head xray.

A blood test can find indications of infection, cancer, kidney disease, etc, although I think a lot are are inconclusive and need further diagnostics regardless.

An abdominal xray can find masses, kidney and bladder stones, etc..

Without more observation or more time to let any symptoms develop further (which can be dangerous), its a bit of a coin toss.

sas :clover:

I would think it could be bloat, since you said her stomach was hard. The vet is the best place for her right now. I agree that once she pulls through this you should look into x-rays and blood work to determine the cause, and maybe a fecal test as well.

Hydration, probiotics, analgesics, and anti-gas meds will be her friends tonight.
:pray:

Sorry to hear! I lost my mini rex doe from bloat. She did the same thing as your little girl.. I am sorry for your lost. Hugs to ya! She sure was a very beeeeeautiful bunny. :pray::innocent:hug1:hugsquish::big kiss::bunnyangel2:

When mine had the bloat, I gave her the children's gas drops and after that she stomach had exploded from the gas build up. It was awful too see her like that. But it could have been anything. The night before she passed I gave her spinach and a carrot and thats what I think caused it. I feel for you.. R.I.P Penelope:hug:

Latest posts

Back