( RIP) new bunny with bad teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah he's back at the vet for a necropsy to find out exactly what the cause was. hopefully with the necropsy results the shelter will do something to check the other rabbits more closely to make sure they are healthy and no one is passing fatal stuff around.

i knew his wheezing was a serious problem, but the vet had given him meds and gave me meds to do at home for him so i figured the vet was right and didn't worry too much since the vet said the meds would help him. it was a distinctive wheezing though that i heard the night my kitten passed away from his cancers so i think deep down i knew he was dying, but didn't wanna believe it.

and the teeth could definitely been a factor, but the vet just put him under to check his mouth out on monday and he said other than the bad teeth in front the rest didn't look bad so i'm sure the vet would have caught an absess or anything in the mouth since that's what he was specifically looking for, but you never know. maybe your right and it was a deep down infection in his gums or something that couldn't be seen with the naked eye. guess we'll find out when the necropsy results come back.

the shelter did offer to bury him in a peaceful place and offered me another rabbit, but i'm really leery now and really don't wanna deal with another sick rabbit if it is something he passed on to the other rabbits in that specific foster home. the other side of me says that they also need good homes though so i really don't know if i should chance it or not. i still owe the vet $300 for the last two days of treating tucker that i have to pay tomorrow so i really can't afford another sick rabbit. idk if the other two i was interested in are in the same foster home that tucker came from or not and they could be perfectly healthy so it really is a shot in the dark. idk what to do lol

RIP I am very sorry about this...:(

You did agreat job getting care for this rabbit. I would hate to think of someone like you ( (good owner) of NOT getting another rabbit.; it would be the rabbit's loss.

I also would be leery of the place where the rabbit came from; they should have known all this and also paid for it. ... but you could adopt from somewhere else.

Take a look at the Rescue section on the forum
:goodjob

You're right it would be the rabbits loss if I didn't open my home and heart to another one in need. Like I said there are a couple that I looked at as well when I got tucker so I may end up getting one of them, but only if I know for sure the rabbit is healthy and for this the shelter is going to have to shell out money for a vet check (which they was suppose to do anyway as it says that is part of the adoption, but we'll see. One of them sounds like he has severe separation anxiety though which generally won't be a problem since I'm home almost always, but could become an issue when I do have to go out (if he is destructive because of it then it could be an issue since I rent my house).

And idk how many rabbits were in his foster home, but if the results come back something contageous it could be a very bad deal since the shelter just took in over 70 rabbits that were abandoned on the side of the street. I'd hate to see more rabbits dying because of whatever was going on with him. Who knows it could even be something he got from another rabbit there so even then many more could be affected. How sad. I'm trying not to get too mad about it though because that won't help anyone so just trying to keep in mind that mistakes do happen and sometimes things are missed. As we all know rabbits are great at hiding illness so maybe they honestly didn't know. Idk it is frustrating and sad though

Maybe if you adopt from the same rescue, you could ask that the shelter would fund a vet check from a vet of your choice on the rabbit you adopt.. And possibly waive your adoption fee. A few shelters around here give vet vouchers for spays/neuters if they animal is too young, or for vaccinations/checkup. Just a thought. Sorry to hear you lost him, but you did more than most people that adopted him would.

Funny you should mention that. The shelter just emailed me about meeting her tonight to look at 2 others I was kinda interested in. I did exactly what you said and told her I'd only adopt another if I knew for certain he was healthy and asked them to pay for the initial vet check.

When they offered me another rabbit she offered it for free so they aren't asking me to pay another adoption fee.

okay so he had a lower abdomen infection (probably from unsterile operating conditions during his neutering according to my vet) and it moved into his bloodstream which obviously carried the infection throughout his body and causing his stomach to burst. he had food particles clear up in his chest. or something like that lol. poor guy.

oh and now the shelter is saying they will "refund" my adoption fee instead of giving me another rabbit because they can't guarantee their animals healths and can't guarantee if the rabbit will be okay with my cats and dogs. okay for one i never asked for a guarantee just for them to pay for the initial vet visit that the website says comes with the adoption to ensure he is healthy geesh. and i never asked for a guarantee that he would get along w/ my cats and dogs because duh every animals temperment can change daily. all i asked was that the rabbit tolerate cats and dogs and not be scared to the point his little heart burst and the foster home should be able to tell them how he is w/ other animals. geesh it's like i'm asking them to pay for me to travel the world.

so now we're stuck with no money (still owe the vet the $300 for tucker i have to pay tomorrow as i said) and no rabbit. it really makes me wanna say screw shelters and adoptions, but that won't do anyone any good especially the innocent animals that do need good homes.

gosh just read the whole story...wow! I am soo soo sorry. I had a somewhat similar story with a rabbit from a breeder (except they offered to take the bunny back because she was sick when I had gotten her).

I can't imagine going through this with a new bunny. Even with an old one. Yikes! I'd look for a different shelter definitly to adopt from. You seem like an amazing bunny owner-you did a great job caring for a new sick bunny and, as others said, finding care for him!

thanks i just did what i'd do for any of my animals. there is an adorable rabbit at the humane society so i may try there. he looks like a small rabbit though and if so then it's a no go. my terriers are way too curious to have a small rabbit hopping around, they might accidentally get too excited and hurt it so bigger bunny is much better for our house lol (not that they are ever unsupervised, but it only takes a split second for something to happen even supervised). there's also a couple mini rexs on craigslist (i know i know lol) that are adorable and not bothered by dogs sniffing them, but idk we'll see. still kinda in shock from tucker :(

i'm going to meet a rabbit tomorrow from a 4Her. he's an outdoor rabbit (will be indoors here), not neutered, and not litterbox trained so i'd definitely have my hands full, but he's handsome :)

are there any difficulties or anything i need to know about transitioning an outdoor rabbit into an indoor only rabbit?

he may or may not be a good fit for our family, but wanna be prepared just in case.

Good grief. I'm sorry to hear about all of the drama you went through. Something really must be done about that shelter. They shuck huge corn.

I got him and put pics up under the topic "how to transition an outdoor rabbit to an indoor only rabbit" or something like that lol. He just keeps cracking me up. I can't believe how funny he is lol.

Latest posts

Back