( RIP) new bunny with bad teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry that you & Tucker are having to go through this. If you can't get satisfaction from the shelter [the problems are such that any half-way decent place would catch them], complain to whoever you can think of. Certainly a warning about them on Yelp. I wouldn't be surprised if they knew about the problem but didn't want to spend the money to get the teeth fixed & left you holding the bag, so to speak. Small claims court wouldn't be out of the question, though that can't be your focus now.

And what vet wouldn't notice the bad teeth 2 weeks earlier.

that's what i was thinking. if he got neutered 2 weeks ago like she said then they had to have had a breathing tube down his throat for the surgery, i'd think, so how could they miss at least the bad teeth? i emailed the shelter and as i suspected they won't help. because the contract i signed says i'm responsible for all vet bills after date of adoption. she's like but if you need to bring him back let me know so i can find him a foster home. wtf? seriously? if he was put in a foster home he'd be dead in a couple of days with the way the shelters vet "checks" the animals. poor little guy. i really don't know how i'm going to come up with all that money to have his teeth removed on top of what i have to come up with for the vet he's at today (the one finding out what's wrong with him). i totally was not expecting this right after i adopted him

There is an implied part of the contract on their part that they are knowledgeable enough about rabbits to know of such an obvious problem. It's not like you got Tucker at a flea market, on Craig's List, or some place like that. But concentrate on the health problem & then sue &/or see about getting them suspended or whatever.

definitely number one is figuring out exactly what's going on with him and getting him healthy and happy.

i'm actually really shocked this shelter would let a sick rabbit go and miss something so obvious. i've volunteered for them on and off for years and had the utmost respect for them.

it is what it is i suppose. right now i'm kinda nervous for the little guy, hoping he did alright with the anethesea. he should be okay if he made it through the anesthesea when he got neutered right? the vet needs to call me already, they've had him since 9am lol. he's making me more nervous the longer i don't hear from him.

is there anything i need to watch out for when he comes home complication wise or anything(because of the anesthesea and him filing his bad tooth)? i'm hoping this will help him be able to eat again, but we shall see.

Poor little guy. Hope he's doing ok. They usually don't intubate rabbits for neuters because rabbits "are hard to tube". I can't say I've ever intubated anything, but it sounds like laziness to me. In any case, rabbit tissues are not as strong as dog or cat tissues, and they tear more easily, which is part of why they don't tube them as often. They also have a very strong flight response, so sometimes when they are trying to put the tube in, the bunny jerks away and that causes puncture of the airways with the tube they're trying to put in there. They probably just used a mask and injectible anesthesia for his neuter. This is commonly done with cat neuters as well--just injectible and mask if needed.

I am glad the vet is going to help. It sounds like he can probably get the bunny to the point where he will be able to eat, at least softened pellets or Critical Care. Those front teeth sound gnarly so best to remove them.

I am a bit curious about the calcivirus vaccination you mentioned. It is not common to vaccinate for calci in the US for rabbits. It is common in the UK and Europe, and desirable in Australia/New Zealand due to the wild rabbits carrying diseases there. Is the feline one the same as the rabbit one? What vaccine was the vet going to use? As far as I know, there are no vaccines for calcivirus available in the US.

Also, for future reference, giving rabbits sub-q fluids is just like giving them to a cat. Of course you do have to find somewhere to put them, and the flank or shoulder is preferred over the scruff.

great info to know thanks. yeah it's been awhile since i've had any to get any pets fixed so i forget they use the mask more often now, but the reason they use it for rabbits makes perfect sense ;)

not sure about the calicivirus vaccine. i'm going to ask the vet when i pick him up. i'm unsure if it's species specific or not, but if there is a vaccine here then i'm not taking any chances and he will get it

okay so the calicivirus is species specific and Tucker doesn't need the vaccine (yes there is a vaccine), but come to find out that my cat who is a carrier of the virus now since he got it and was treated last year...he has to have to vaccine every year now which i was unaware of so that's great to know

now as far as Tucker....he's definitely going to need teeth pulled, but for now the vet filed them down like i said he was doing and he suspects with all he's been thru lately that he is most likely in stasis as i thought. he gave him subq's and wants me to watch him the next couple days and if he still hasn't eaten by tomorrow night then he's gonna put him on some meds to get him through the stasis. and obviously he wants to get him thru the stasis before we get him in for the teeth removal and put him under again.

he's home though, yay :) i put him up in his room alone to relax and rest since he's been thru a lot today with the vet visit and i'm sure he's still tired from the anesthesea.

oh and temporarily we put him back on pellets to try to entice him to eat at least something. we'll cross our fingers and hope

this poor rabbit has been through so much lately and it doesn't look like it's gonna end any time soon...poor thing

he still hasn't eaten or drank anything so i was suppose to go get him meds for gi stasis, but before i could he started wheezing really bad and has white stuff on his eyes, nose, and mouth. he also hasn't pooped any except 2 very tiny poops between 4 am and 7:45 am.

does this sound like whats typical of gi stasis or do i need to be worried it's something more like pnemonia?

i rushed him back to the vet as soon as i noticed his breathing got bad (which was about an hour ago), but the vet is at lunch until 2pm. they did say they are putting him in an oxygen tank until doc gets there.

oh and he's been grinding his teeth really loudly since i brought him home yesterday from the vet. is this just because he got his teeth filed down? typical of gi stasis or something worse? could he be in pain and that's why he's grinding them?

yup just got him home. poor little guy has snuffles on top of the gi stasis and teeth problems. he's on meds for both the stasis and snuffles.

once again i know nothing about snuffles so any advice there? any precautions i need to take?

nothing like jumping head first into rabbits with health issues right away lol.

oh and bugsy the vet bills run about the same here, but are much more expensive when it comes to pulling teeth. i just had my dogs teeth done and before i found a low cost place to do it (which only does dogs and cats no rabbits so not an option for Tucker) i had estimates of between $400-$600 just for the dental. and add on top of that all that i'm having to pay each time i have to rush him in (been twice so far and i've only had him since friday) plus meds and labs. plus i have hedgehogs with skin issues right now that i'm also having to pay vet bills and lab costs for. it all adds up quickly for sure

well the little guy didn't make it. i went to check on him and give his meds and spend some time with him and he was already gone. he fought hard until the end though that's for sure.

rip little man. see you at the rainbow bridge

He had Snuffles as well? That is HUGELY irresponsible of the shelter. God knows how many other rabbits there have it too. They need to be held accountable.

I'm so sorry, what a terrible loss. You did so much to help him before you got a chance to know him, and that speaks volumes of your true compassion and love.

Oh no, so sorry. :(

I think you were probably dealing with one problem, a tooth root abscess or something similar. They can have head abscesses affecting teeth, nasal and eyes.

:rip:

sas :sad:

Latest posts

Back