RIP: My Daisy's bowels aren't working :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy Bunny

Reaction score
I am so scared for Daisy right now. She's less than a year old (like 8 months) and she is really sick rightnow. It started on Tuesday night when she was tilting her head weird and closing one eye. We brought her to the vet Wednesday morning and her neck was mostly straight, he said it couldbe an ear infection. Got an antibiotic shot and metacam/cisapride (she was eating less). Well it's all down hill from there. She got her meds but waouldn't eat, still acting sad. Went back to vet, they took her and she's still therenow :( Thought she would go home today but she won't be able to. All she passed was a few poops last night... she's still not eating or passing stool! i'm so worried. Her xray came back normal (no blockage, no gas, no bloat). They're gonna do a blood test now and continue with the cisapride, metacam and feedings. I dont know what happened :( I miss my spunky Daisy, she was so healthy! She's so young to get this. Her teeth are fine, her diet is perfect (eats LOTS of hay!) I don't know, i am so worried. And i'm supposed to go to a wedding tomorrow! I just cried cause i thought today she would pass poop. SHe's gonna be at the vet today and tomorrow, hopefully by tomorrow night she will pass stool and we can take her home.

I'm sorry to hear about Daisy. It's so hard when the poor little ones are ill. This is when I wish they could talk. Hopefully the Vet is making Daisy all better:sickbunny:.

You certainly did everything right.

Many good vibes and prayers for Daisy and you. :pray::hug2::pray::hug2::pray::hug2::pray:

Hugs

Susan:)

Well Daisy has now passed away. THe blood work showed her organs were failing (numberes were supposed to be like 400 and they were over 6,000!) You could tell she was in pain, her muscles felt all loose like jello, no strength, no responding to treats, her name, anything. You could touch her feet, etc she didn't move. I never thought i would do it but we had to euthanize her so she wasnt in pain. They were expecting her to die within 6 - 12 hours. :( :(
I miss her spunky attitude, they all loved her their she was very unique. I hope she's in a heaven somewhere with other bunnies.
It's most shoocking cause it came on so suddenly. Her head was tilted and her ear looked a bit infected, but then the next day her head was more straight and normal, but she stopped eating. And it was downhill from there. They gave her motility drugs, pain meds fluid IVs, etc etc. Really a caring vet. But there was nothing else to do when her kidneys liver were failing. Most likely due to some toxin like the ecunniculi (cant spell it). They said she couldn't have gotten it from outside, other rabbits who live in apartments get it. I wish we could have done more.

Good bye Daisy. Or Crazy Daisy/Daisy Girl i called her (beause of her unique and spunky behaviour)

I feel so alone without her. I want to get another bunny soon and rescue one from Rabbit Rescue's recent 103 rabbit rescue. I don't know if that's a bad idea? I don't want to replace her but i feel like i really want another pet right now. I'm dealing with physical pain myself (TMJ and facial pain) and feel like this would give me something to do and take care of and not cry about Daisy every day.
Thoughts?

Also we took all her stuff, cage, bowls etc to the garage to give away to Rabbit Rescue. Even if we get another rabbit soon I feel like i don't want him/her to have Daisy's things cause then i'd always be like "well Daisy sat there" or "daisy liked this toy."

Poor Diasy, only 9 months she got to live.

I'm so sorry. Sometimes the right thing to do is the hardest thing to do, but I think you made the right decision.

And no, I dont think getting another rabbit right away is a bad idea. People deal with greif differently, and sometimes the joy of a new animal can help to take the edge off the pain of losing the old one. If you feel like it will help, I think it's a lovely idea. It does not mean you love your Daisy any less.

I hope you feel better soon :cry2

I'm sorry for your little one. Give yourself time to grieve. I always felt animals could feel how we felt. I think it would be hard on a new bunny to come into a home still in pain.

Much love, you did everything a good bunny mama needs to. She was very lucky to have you in her corner.

Yeah i don't want to get a bunny tomorrow thats for sure!
But i feel like rescuing one will help us. Sadly I am going through my own health problems (nerve facial pain) and the crying and depression is making my pain even worse than usual. It was extremely bad today. Sucks but crying is a trigger for my pain and i want to cry all the time!
All of this has come at such a bad time. I feel like getting a new bunny could help heal the pain. Because I will never get over what happened to Daisy. I was sad about our first bunny for many years and still feel sad today (Although many years have obviously helped with healing).

So sorry about Daisy! Take heart in the fact that she's not sick or suffering anymore.

In April I lost my lil' bunny to an ear infection. The vet thought it was E. Cuniculi or Pasturella but the bloodwork didn't come back till the day after we got her put down. It ended up showing it was neither of the assumed things, but she'd been soo bad there wasn't a way to get her better. It had been a middle/inner ear infection.

I'm so sorry your Daisy has left for the Rainbow Bridge.

May I suggest that you don't give all of Daisy's belongings away. One day you just may want to have something that was hers.

I think rescuing a bunny is a wonderful idea. I'm sure Daisy would approve.

Hugs

Susan:bunnyangel2:

We're so sorry you lost your Daisy. We only had our Nik-Nik for six months and I was in a very bad humor for quite awhile. Felt like i'd been cheated, but, looking back on it she was a great joy and such a sweetie like your Daisy that the happy times finally came back to us and all the joy she gave everyone. Rest in peace little girl and binky free.

Thank you for your kind words.

I will for sure keep something of Daisy's, not sure what quite yet. The willow balls she loved were all eaten up so we threw them away (This was a month ago), and her new ones weren't really played with. She was more of a curious bunny than a bunny who played with toys. We bought her so many toys, all different kinds, but she was a picky girl, always the boss of the house! Liked to spend her time being in the living room relaxing under the table. She would be sneaky and jump up on the dining room table when you weren't looking!

I'm so sorry; there is never anything to say to make it easier but know that we understand.

When I lost my first rabbit about 6 months ago, I "perused" Petfinder a few days later and happened to find my next rabbit. I did worry that I was moving too fast, but Jake was just what I needed.

As long as you go into it not expecting your next bun to be like Daisy - whoever it is will be who they are - it is whatever makes you feel comfortable. There is nothing wrong with waiting, or with rescuing another one whenever you are ready.

Thanks Eileen.
I definitely know Daisy was special. We had a Holland Lop before her and their personalities were like complete opposite! Floppy was more reserved and cuddly, Daisy was more free spirited and funny. It's like people, not 2 are exactly the same! :)

aw so sorry you lost daisy so soon. She sounds like a sweetie... It's sad how fast rabbits can fall apart. =(

Getting a new rabbit right away i don't think is a bad thing... it doesn't lessen your miss of daisy, or replace her. She'll always be your one and only daisy. Thats unless you get 'Daisy 2'

I would never get a "Daisy 2". My uncle keeps getting a Yorkie to replace the one that dies (they are on their 3rd dog sadly) and calls him the same name (Ollie). That's just so weird to me, especially since the dogs will always have a different personality. There will never be another Daisy, just like there is never another Floppy (our first rabbit). I just can't believe she's gone :( I'm still looking over to see if she's there sitting in her favourite spot.

Latest posts

Back