(RIP) Littlefoot need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well carrots are very high in sugar.
Just a small slice of carrot or apple every few days is enough for a bun.

Littlefoot looks like a little bunny and so he does not need much carrot at all ;)

I am very sorry that he looks sleepy, I hope he is okay, I have been thinking about him all night.

Have you been able to give him anything medication wise?
I would keep him warm, enclosed in a bundle of hay and a blankie, I would pet him lots, make sure he drinks a lot and treat him for what he is..an acute injury victim.

i bald to vet they took a psot dated check. dont know how i'll pay. but said he has a spinal injury. no feeling in hind quarters and cant control bowl movements. gave him a steriod shot. thouoght he might be bound up. he ate a few peices of lettuce when i brought him home but since then nothing. had a big gop of poo. hes resting with his head on paws. once in awhile he tries to move with jerky movments. im very veryvery worried. i do have someone form diabled bunnies group sending me home remedies. i only hope he makes it till then.

Well I am not sure but the jerky movements may not be a good sign :shock:but I am not an infirmary member, so I am only here for support.
I have rescued a few bunnies and rehabilitated them so can speak from some experience but still can do very little.

If you get really worried and think that he may not make it, hold him gently, stroke him a bit and talk to him.

Its a very real but unwelcome possibility that Littlefoot needs to go.
You have done what you can.

I hope he makes it but only time will tell.

:purplepansy::hug:

It may be a reaction to the steroid injection.
He sounds like he may be a little shocky (like my Chippy was after getting steroid injection....it also made her poop large goopy piles)
Keep a close eye on him and keep him warm.

yeah Jane was a bit like that too, if I remember, she was jerky after her steroid shot.
Such a long time ago it seems.

Any updates, I notice you are online, is everything still okay?

hes s been grinding his teeth off n on. and still rteis to move once in wahile. he breathing is very slow. im am getting more worried by the minute. i asked my aunt to get me some baby motrin but she thinks i should put him down. i just cant.

:purplepansy:

Did you get pain meds for him from the vet, did the vet only give him a steroid shot?

speechless!!

I have to go to a job interview,

hang in there

You need to call the vet to get pain meds

grinding teeth is a sign of pain...
you can give baby motrin but not on an empty stomach 2-10 mg/kg acording to the medi-rabbit site. A kilogram= approx 2.2lbs

angieluv wrote:
You need to call the vet to get pain meds

grinding teeth is a sign of pain...
you can give baby motrin but not on an empty stomach 2-10 mg/kg acording to the medi-rabbit site. A kilogram= approx 2.2lbs

I agree that you need to do something to help him with his pain.

Keeping him warm will also help. Warm up some towels in the dryer and wrap him up in them...or let him lay on one and cover him with another one.

If he's been eating, then you could give him some liquid baby motrin.
If he hasn't been eating you could make a slurry of pellets and warm water (like a soup)and syringe that before you give him the motrin.

his cage is half lined with a rug and i have a towel over him. to keep him warm. he hasnt grinded his teeth in while(knock on wood) hes pretty much the same but did manage to get him to eat a few carrots and am giving him water with syringe with rabbit vitamins in it. but he likes it off his paws. hasnt touched anything more to eat. theres a lady sending me some meds in mail should be here tomorrow if he holds out till then. i have not left him since going to vets. have been posting and takign care of him back n forth. my emotions are like a rollarcoaster one minute i have hope another i am worried i am losing him. but we r both hang in there so far.

What type of meds are these? I wouldn't suggest giving meds unless consulting your vet.

Also, "rabbit vitamins" really are not needed. I think critical care (made by Oxbow) would be more beneficial now. You should also be giving pedialyte with the water. Too many carrots is never a good thing, as well. Are you pushing hay? Rabbits can't survive off a few carrots and lettuce.

i am doing the best i can trying to help him. i have been up thru the nite with him, slept on my couch next to his cage.yes i have tried giving him hay i have tried wetting the pellets he wont eat them. he is barely drinking water either. the vet isnt going to help me with much more. i dont have any money. the vet didnt send anything home for me to give him. id rather he eat anything at this time to try an get his appetite back its better then him now eating at all. i know your trying to help but it seems im getting more support from the disabled rabbit group then here.:(

Aphreditie,

Sometimes bad things happen and you have to be strong during those times. This is one of them. No one wants to see a bunny in pain, nor a bunny owner being tortured by having to watch their bunny suffering. Honestly, spinal injuries in rabbits are very serious. Your bunny isn't eating much because he is in pain. If you broke your back and had no pain meds, you'd know the feeling.

I think right now, you need to stop thinking about yourself and thinking about not wanting to let him go. Rather you should think about what is best for him at this point, seeing that he is hurting so badly. This injury is not just a little booboo that can be easily fixed.

When my girl got ill, I didn't want to let her go. She was my world and I couldn't see myself without her (as sappy as that may sound). I was willing to spend tons and tons of money on a bunny that had multiple organ failure and who would never fully recover. I really had to stop at one point and just think. Was I basing my decisions on my own emotions or was I really taking her into consideration? Once I did that, I made the decision not to put her through more suffering and I let her go, even if I really didn't want to.

They are under our protection, they are our responsibility. They give us so much, it's only fair that we return the favor. Don't sit there and watch him suffer, it's not fair to him. It's not that we don't support you, we just don't support the decision to do nothing about it.Meds from some random lady online doesn't cut it. No meds should be administered without a vet's approval. Do you even know his exact weight for dosage? Administering meds improperly may only add on to his suffering right now.

I'm sorry that you are both going through this. I hope something good will come out of it. :hug:

Wed, Sept 24. The participants on RO and on disabledrabbits group have been immensely supportive to you.

I gather the forum of disabled rabbits owners will be sad to hear littlefoot has passed away.

You noted he was still doing well this mornin' and had eaten a piece of celery and a few carrots, and how you and your son slept near him on the couch and on the loveseat. Good that you kept your son home from school today, if you hadn't gotten much rest (focusing on littlefoot).

He seemed to be hanging in there with your forum post this morning.

Because of your various emails, I hope the private messages from disabled rabbit owners will come through to you.

Latest posts

Back