(RIP) Littlefoot need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aphreditie70

Reaction score
hi all,

a loose Husky dog got in my bunny shed and broke open on of the cages. littlefoot was gone. i asked my neighbor he saw the dog pawing by my other neighbors garage sure enough littlefoot was there. scared out of his wits. i put his cage back together and cleaned it out. gave him fresh food nwater. i noticed he isnt putting much weight on his hind legs. i felt for wounds. and found none. i felt for broken bones and didnt feel any. had to work last nite checked him before i left and when i came home. today i noticed his eyes are all teary, and hes peed on hisself. he some how has manged to move abit because he was in a different sopt this morning then last nite. i have no money to take him to a vet. i did give him TC which is tetracycline hydrochloride which has helped when they've has diareha or when my one nbunny had an infection on his nose. what can i do for his hind legs. do you think they may just be sprained? and will heel on its on? i am sooo worrried. i am down to 3 rabbits. i lost thumper, angel a yr 1/2ago and sniffers early this summer. i was thinking of bringing him in over nite. and nurcing him with the tc. i have a wire cage i can put him. i am soo worried and have to go to work tonite. 4 -8!

please any advice would be greatley apprecieated!

There are many things that could be wrong with him, which is why he needs vet. Call around and ask if any of them will offer payment plans. He could have broken bones that you missed orfractures, which you wouldn't be able to feel.

Keep him hydrated (fluids) and warm. Put dry rice in a sock, tie it shut, and warm it in the microwave to use as a heating pad. He may be in shock. I'd move him inside both to keep a closer eye on him and because if one dog can get in the shed, another could. He may be in shock.

You would only be able to feel a broken bone if it was compound- broken all the way through and separated or if there's a large chunk broken off. You need xrays to see if there are smaller fractures, which are more common and still very painful.

Peeing on himself might mean his back is hurt (can he move his hind legs at all, does he respond to pain in his hind legs?) or that his legs are hurt in a way that doesn't allow himself to get in the right position to pee normally.

Honestly I don't know that there's much you can do beyond warmth and oral fluids if you can't get him to a vet.:(

I agree wiyh Angela there is little that you can do if you cannot go to a vet. keep him warm, syringe him food and fluid

check him over carelfully for scabs. Was there any punture wounds at all??
He most likely is in extreme shock

ideally he should be getting sug q fluids, x-rays , and if there are any puncture wounds he would need antibioics stronger than what you are providing.

A rabbit in shock is very likely to go into stasis so it's imporatnt to monitor his intake and output,

please keep us up-dated and get him to vet if it is anyway possible. You could possibly work out a plan for payment :(

i brought him inside, i put grass in there and dried his behind off some. hes drinking his water and was cleaning his foot abit ago. hestruggled abitbut moved and is facing front of cage see avater thats littlefoot. i plan on going to store right after work well after i come home and check on him and get him some hay.. i dont have rice what about a warm soda bottle?for a compress? this happened yesturday afternoon. i dotn believe he is in shock. he seems alert and is laying there watching me. i'll change avater with a few more pics.

another pic (avater)when i first brought him inside. i have to get ready for work. i will post you an update when i get home cross your fingers and pray littlefoot will be ok. that is all i want! i am keeping hope. by seeing him drinking and cleaning his foot. i only hope work goes fast! thanks abunch for the aadvice!

hello am home from work. littlefoot seems to be hanging in there. got him some alfafa hay he hasnt eaten yet but is half sitting on his hind legs in the corner of the cagewatching my cat check him out. she cant get to him. its a wire pen with a tray i got when i use to work at the pet store. i also see a bit of rabbit poo which to me is a good sign. i have the shed closed incase the dodgcomes back i still have blaze and bebe out there. the only reason he got into the shed is because i usually have it open during the summer months. havnt had any problems till now. i will keep watch, i noticed the dog hada tag if i see it again im going to try and get the info. the dog shouldnt have been loose or in my yard.

I really wouldn't think your rabbits are safe in the shed with the door open. You simply can not rely on people to contain their animals, that's why shelters get so many strays that actually do have owners. Actually you can't even trust people not to hurt them either, there's some real sick people out there.

Couldn't you make a sturdy "summer" door to protect them? There is a breeder I sometimes get hay and litter from (runs a part time feed store) and his buns are in an unattached garage. He built a door by taking a sturdy storm door frame and replacing the mesh window parts with thick, heavy wire grating. That way the breeze can get in but other animals can't. He keeps it locked with a heavy padlock when he's not in there so nobody can mess with his rabbits.

And just to point out- that dog knows you have rabbits now, and that he can get to them. He probably had a blast "playing" with Littlefoot and I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back. He knows where the good stuff is.

your right there a crazy pets and people out there. i do have a lock i use during winter. i will be digging it out or buying a new one. as for tonight the shed is closed. right now the shed is right behind my trailer next to my dining room window. but we were going to move them to the end of yard and puta floor in and i was hoping to get a shelf putin also. i beileve we will have to think of some kind of screen door to put on it next year too. but we got a bigger shed for storage this summer. sothe bunny shed will have to wait till next summer.

any updates?

Is he moving his legs, is he eating?

I suspect a spinal issue. Some bunnies don't get to really flex themselves in their hutches and pens, even large pens, then when they are chased, they flex their backbones in the chase, run like wild rabbits and injure themselves. I heard this from a vet, a chased bunny can seriously hurt themselves if they are not used to the sudden strain on their backs.

Imagine lounging around all day, hippity hop, then WHAM, you're running for your life...

let us know whats happening :?

right now he picking at hishay offn on. hessitting on his butt with his hind legs under him. he looks funysitting like that. i tried taking a picture of him like that but i dont have enough lite in my living room.

i am on yahoo(fairyaphreditie)im if you want to chat. im getting tired but want to stay up to keep an i on him for abit. my son is sleeping onthe loveseat. he wanted to be out here with littlefoot. i was debating on sleeping on the couch if my birds will let me.

sorry I don't chat, I used to be addicted and now RO is the addiction I have time for.

So you are off to the vet tomorrow?

I know you don't have the money but do you have any options at all.

He has fluidy eyes?
He seems to have a possible bone injury
He is sitting in an odd way

He needs a vet

Now, don't tell everyone, but one way to get a vet to urgently see your possibly badly injured bunny ( I don't use this one lightly unless its an emergency) is go through the consult, THEN discuss your financial position.

You could also take your bunny in, sit down and refuse to leave until you are seen.

I may get into trouble here and I am sorry RO but this bunny and a few others in Infirmary urgently need vets but there is no money to take them.

Its too late to recommend paying off a small amount of money to your vet on a weekly basis so that when an emergency comes up your vet will be more understanding because they can see you have a small reserve of money and the payments will keep coming after the treatment has ended.

I hope he makes it through the night.
I hope he is not in too much pain.

Has he been drinking on his own, eating a bit, pooping,

let us know, we are here to provide you with whatever support is possible,

thinking of you and Littlefoot:?:purplepansy:

mornin,

i doubt i can take him to a vet.:( but i may call and ask their advice. i didnt sleep very good i kept getting up and checking on him all threw the nite. he is eating and drinking and is sitting in the same position this morinin. still hanging in there. i will try to take another pic soon and post it. im stil tryin to wake up. i will keep you posted. i appreciate the support.

Aphreditie70 wrote:
i dont have money for a vet :(believe me if i did hed be there already

Have you done an online application for Care Credit? I usually recommend that above IMOM for various reasons but we have links to both at the top of this forum.

Latest posts

Back