(RIP) Hyacinth - rolling & wry neck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to share a quick update on Hyacinth.

She has 'graduated' to New Hope's old "house"....because while she still rolls - it is not as much and not as bad. Yeah!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Peg, any updates on her now? I'm really happy that she's improving.
There have been complications - she's not doing well.....she's in with Robin right now.

Right now I think it could go 50/50....she has a fever and I am trying to get it to break. So far I've done syringing fluids, damp cloths and sub-q fluids. She cools down - only to get hot again.

She's not due for another Pen G shot till tomorrow night.

Oh - right now she has a little fan on her.

I am exhausted right now - she may spend the night with Robin so I can get 4-6 hours of GOOD sleep before I take over...

After I posted - I went and did what my gut told me to do - I gave her an extra bit of pain meds. She appeared to be very uncomfortable...and I figured if she was gonna pass - I wanted her to be comfortable her last few hours.

I gave her a full dose - she had her last dose about 7 or 8 hours ago...

About 10 minutes after she took the pain meds...she sat up and started grooming herself. She was still hot to the touch a bit....felt feverish (I didn't mess with her to take her temp because I wanted her to relax).

After she groomed herself for about 3 or 4 minutes - Robin offered her the water bottle - she drank quite a bit.

When I walked back in the room - she was sitting in the white basket - well - leaning sorta - licking the basket. I soaked some lettuce and carrots in water for a bit while I fed the rabbitry and Robin sat with her. Then I took them in and she started chowing down.

Sometime while I was in the rabbitry feeding - her fever obviously broke. I'm not sure how much of it was from her rolling because she was uncomfortable - because we were trying everything to cool her down. I was about to do another sub-q shot if she didn't stop being so hot.

Robin reminded me that when she gets in pain - she rolls and rolls and gets hot like this....so I'm thinking I'm going to give her the pain meds a bit more often - maybe not quite as much though.

Anyway - it appears as though her fever has broken...she is a tad bit warm - but not bad. She's chowing down on her "bed of lettuce" and she's spending the night w/ Robin so I can get some undisturbed sleep and rest up a bit.

I'm really in shock at the change in her during the last hour. I honestly didn't think she would cool down so fast....Robin's been offering her more water every few minutes too.

I really hope we're through the worst of this. I'm exhausted - I haven't had a good night's sleep all week from holding her in the crook of my arms so she wouldn't roll. If I'd start to fall asleep instead of petting her - she would start licking my arm to wake me up for pets. I think Art held her a part of a couple nights -but she kept wanting to come back to me...

Hyacinth is napping with Robin and has been doing so this afternoon. She's doing fair to good....she gets dehydrated or her pain meds and Bonine (for dizziness) wear off and she starts flipping....but once I get her pain meds back in her - wait about 15 minutes or so - she'll sit up and start to groom herself and drink water and eat.

We've come up with a new solution for her when we have to leave the house. SHe is in a 1 X 1 NIC pen with a NIC panel for the cover. I know - it isn't much space at all - but the thing is - it contains her quite well and she has a towel to lay on and grasp. She also can have a water bottle - not that she feels good enough to use it much on her own.

When we got home from working today - she was laying on her side snoozing....and she looked like she was relaxed and not really stressed at all. It looked like she had rolled a bit - but then just decided to sleep.

I'm really really hoping we can get the rolling under control - and soon.

Latest posts

Back