(RIP) His leg not working

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybunny11

Reaction score
Okay, a few nights ago I locked Ace, my 5 year old mini rex, in the shed because it was very cold outside. The shed is the rabbit barn, but he doesnt have a cage he get free range of it when he is in there. There is nothing in there he would've hurt it on. There are no desks, tables...ect. I opened the shed door and he walked out pretty normal. I was feeding the rabbits and I looked over, now keep in mind he has complete free range of my yard. His back end flops over but then he slumps back up. At first I though he was stretching and then I noticed him walking odd. Not a normal "hop" motion but he was going one foot at a time slowly. Then he slumped over again. There is nothing wrong with his front leg, it is his back right leg. I brought him inside in a cage where the wire is covered. He had a bit of swelling in his lower right abdomen but its gone down a little bit. When i first brought him inside he wasnt even sitting right. he had both his legs extended a bit and he was sitting on his rump
He can walk on it but I think its easier for him to drag his legs now since he kept falling over. When I set him on the carpet he just drags both his legs as he walks, but when he is in his cage he sits pretty normal, now, and wobbly walks around.
He is eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom normally. I gave him some antibiotics to see if that would help him at all. He doesn't act like he is in pain but he probably is. I can't find anything that would be why his symptoms are like this. At first I thought it was trauma, but I cant find any sign of broken/sprained limbs. Like I said he has a bit of swelling and its only his right leg and he won't walk on. Could he have been bitten by something?
I would take him to the vet but my mother will not let me. He has gone through some pretty bad things, and honestly he acts like its not injured. When I open his cage he gets out and makes his way for the door, dragging his legs most of the way and he waits like "okay im all better you can let me out now" Could anybody help me with what might be going on?

He seems to be doing better. He still falls a lot but he is getting more control of his leg and the swelling has almost gone away. He is so much more alert to and about 30 minutes a day he runs around my living room, under supervision, and he can manage to get into his cage without his leg being snagged so that's really good. He is still same old Ace though, always trying to get outside, he goes to the back door and scratches at it just like a dog when he wants to go outside. Right now he can't though, due to his injury. I don't think it was spinal because Ive had two rabbits that had spinal injuries, well one was ours the other we sold to someone and he brought it back worried to death. Usually they cant move and they won't use the bathroom OR they uncontrollably use the bathroom.

Flash Gordon wrote:
i want to bump this...
id keep him confined to a small cage for now so he doesnt do more harm to it...

Even if it is not a spinal injury and is a bone, muscle, soft tissue injury he should not be free roam but confine to to a small area in order to heal
this also could be symptoms of the parasite( e-cuniclu) although the swelling is not a symptom.
If I were you I would tell your mother that all you want for Christmas is to take this rabbit to a vet because that is where he really needs to go both for diagnosis and for pain meds. I know that it is not your fault that he has not gone to the vet so no blame :)

I agree with angieluv. I would get him to the vet to make sure the bone is not broken--if it starts to heal without being set by a vet it could cause him pain for the rest of his life and/or make him walk funny for the rest of his life. Maybe telling your parents that would encourage them to help you get him to a vet. He does need to be in a confined area until it heals in any case.

If you can't take him to the vet, keep him confined in as small a cage as possilbe, monitor food and water intake and poop...

He started using his legs again, but, then he passed away. It was so sudden too. I walked into the room and said "hi" he walked up to the cage door as and acted normal. I walked out for literally 5 minutes, came back and he was on the floor twitching. Ive spent the past day crying.

Latest posts

Back