(RIP) Head injury?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. I wasn't being mean. I know you were worried about your bunny and so was I. I was just trying to help, and find out what the situation was. Sorry if it came out wrong! ...April

Edit:I hope she will be ok :pray:

Seizures

This is probably a useful thing to read.

Here is our Seizure link from the library but that article up there is just about it.

Please let us know how things are.

This sounds awful. I hope your bunny is doing okay. Yes I would get her into the vet. My vet also needs advance notice but if there is an emergency then they will get me in right away, the same day even. It sounds like your bunny is going through seizures. Please get her to a rabbit savvy vet as quickly as you can!

Prayers for your bunny.

It does sound like seizures, or possibly a balance problem. An infection in the inner ear can mess up how the rabbit experiences gravity, which is why it usually leads to a head tilt--they think that gravity is pointing in that direction. The crazy thrashing about could be due to a similar problem. However, it sounds much more like seizures. Seizures are one of those things where you have to find the nearest vet, even if they don't see rabbits. At least a dog or cat vet can give them some anti-seizure medication and stabilize them until you can get to a real rabbit vet. The thrashing of a seizure is probably the thing that can cause the most damage, particularly in a rabbit, because they can easily break their spine that way.

She's normal now.
I don't see anything physical that she is in pain, or that anything has happened (i.e, blindness, head tilt, or any signs of pain.)

We are taking her to the vet, maybe tomorrow.
Ours is very forceful about not seeing rabbits; she would rather not treat them.

Is the vet you're taking her to tomorrow a rabbit vet?

I really think she needs to see a vet soon. If she does it again, you need to get her to the vet ASAP, like get in the car and go ASAP.

Good luck.

How have things been over night?

I completely agree that when this happens its an emergency situation and needs a vet ASAP so you need to find a vet that will treat rabbits, that you can go to, even if that vet is not rabbit savvy, if they are willing to learn from you and oters, and for you to do research and work with them, that is better than nothing.

Ok.
Just back from the vet, and there is good news and bad news.

Good news: she's not having seizures. What I mistook for seizures was just her freaking out. I'm just an overprotective mother (mother? father? whatever.)

Bad news: she does through the pain because she hits her head on the cage trying to get out. This then causes her to loose her balance and contort. We now have to let her out almost twice as much daily then we did before (from about 2 hours to 4 hours). Also, she is only allowed small amounts of carrots and sugary foods, to prevent hyperactivity.

I am so glad you took her to the vet.:)Your bunny has been on my mind. Thanks for updating us. :biggrin2:

I'm so glad she isn't having seizures. Sounds like she likes being out of her cage then. :)Let us know if her being out more helped her? and cutting back on sugars. Thanks, April

Interesting. Have you thought about having a larger setup for her? I know some people with larger rabbitries (sorry, I don't know your setup, but I think she's in a barn?) have a bunny or two that roams the floor and has a "home base" cage where they do their business, eat, and drink, kind of like a free-range house bunny.

Thanks for thinking about her, that does mean alot.

Her current cage is a wooden structure about 1' X 4' X 3' (all estimates, I'm very bad at stuff like that).
So the bottom is long and not too wide (she's not a very big bunny), and the height is enough for her to stand up in with room.

I allow her to roam free through the entire house (with exceptions of the bedrooms, the bathrooms, and the laundry room). I watch her around cords that are not able to be put up (she doesn't really chew them), and around the furniture.

The only problem now is that she is taking a liking to weeing everywhere but the liter box. On the couches, on the floor, on people. Anywhere. I guess that's why she never really got let out for more than 2 hours, because the mess is horrible.

We're thinking about blocking up the living room and only allowing her in that area.

(Sorry for the long post.)

If she's peeing everywhere. I would justblock her in the living room and make sure she can get to a litterbox. Can you block the couches? So she can't jump on them? (To pee on them.) :biggrin2:

Does she have toys? If she had toys to play with maybe she wouldn't want to make such a mess. Cardboard house, tunnels, kitty cat balls. Just a suggestion. :)

EDIT: is your bunny fixed? gettingher fixed could help with the peeing everywhere too. and calming her down.

Ok.
I have some bad news.
She's getting worse.

She is in so much pain she won't move or eat or anything.
She starts to drool and contort and flip.
We called the vet, and she said that the problem is not going to ever go away, and that she has probably done permanent damage to her head that will make the incidents happen far more often and more painful for her.

After an hour of sitting with her, and trying to calm her down, I concluded that making her go through this is cruel.

Tomorrow, my father and I are taking her to the vet to be euthanized.

And oddly, I'm happy.
Because I know that she is suffering, and I want to make it stop. I don't feel any sorrow or any sign of grief yet, but I know that the second I put her in the carrier to take her to the clinic, it'll all hit me.

Thanks to all of you for support and stuff. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny. She's in my prayers and thoughts, and so are you. Sorry you have to put her to sleep, but it sounds like its probably forthe best.... :hug1April

Thank you.

Is it normal to have second thoughts?
We've never had to put an animal down, and I'm thinking that she'll get better, or that I can just live with it.

I think that's normal. That has to be hard. I've never had to put a animal down either. If you can afford treatment for her, maybe that is a option. I would get a second opinion. With a better vet. If your parents are willing to pay for it.

Latest posts

Back