(RIP) Diarrhea in new young lionhead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jls207

Reaction score
We just got a lionhead from a pet store yesterday and it has not been acting right. The store told us it was about 2 months old, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. It is not neutered. It hasn't really been eating at all though we've given it plenty of timothy hay and pellets. It has been pretty active up until a few hours ago. It started with the diarrhea this morning and hasn't stopped since. The diarrhea is mostly a brown water with soft poop in it. We originally thought it was from the stress of a new home but now I'm not so sure. The nearest rabbit vet is about an hour away and I am not sure how he would handle the car ride.

my new rabbits had that when i got them from a pet store and we found out it was an inbalance in the GI tract and when they did testing it was coccidia give alot of hay and stright pellits no seeds or veggies that is what my vet did and your bun might also need some meds to help balance him out. i hope this helps and i would take your bun to the vet just to make sure! i hoope everything will be alright

With a bunny that young, diarrhea like that can be extremely dangerous. I am afraid I would risk the car ride as this has real potential for getting out of hand quickly.

Are you feeding him the same pellets that he had at the store?

Right now, fluids are absolutely vital. If he doesn't want to drink himself, you should consider force-feeding the fluids. Pedialyte could be really handy if you have any. You should really get fluids in him even before taking him to the vet.

To be honest though, if it were me, I would take him in.

I really hope he gets better soon! Update us please.

We forced it to drink some water and tried to get some food in it. He seemed okay so I was going to make an appointment for the vet today but unfortunately he passed away in the middle of the night. Thanks for all your help though.

we're so sorry for your loss. An y time you have a bunny with any digestive disorder it calls for veterinary intervention immediately. I hate it when you get a new baby only to lose it so fast. We have a fervent dislike of most pet stores and have always had better luck with shelter rescues. Rest in peace little one and binky free.:bunnyangel:

I don't mean to dredge up an older, unhappy topic, but I need to say that a rabbit under 6 mo of age with diarrhea is an emergency situation and should be seen by a vet ASAP, for future reference.

tonyshuman wrote:
I don't mean to dredge up an older, unhappy topic, but I need to say that a rabbit under 6 mo of age with diarrhea is an emergency situation and should be seen by a vet ASAP, for future reference.
This is what I have been told too. Rabbits are just such fragile little thumpers.

I'm sorry for you loss of your little one.

Latest posts

Back