(RIP) Dead rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
I found my 1.5 year old new Zealand buck, butters, dead this morning and I have no idea what it was or if it could be infecious.

He had blood/mucus all over his nose but that was all I saw. I checked for fly strike an found nothing. I don't remember if anything was wrong before now, and I wouldn't have known to look for.

Is there anyway i can know what it was after he's dead, so I know what to look for in his sister?

the only way to know what happened is have a necropsy performed ..otherwise without knowing his previous symptoms it is next to impossible and would only be a guess

Iam really sorry :(

And if you want to do a necropsy done?? You need to freeze the rabbit so it can be done!! So sorry for your loss..
I dont know what may have killed him...
Could he have gotten to over heated??
My wooly doe had blood on her nose last week, But I was told it was due to this heat.. Sorry again!

Since it looks like you have a lot of rabbits, I would get a necropsy done to get an idea of what caused it and if its contagious.

mistyjr wrote:
And if you want to do a necropsy done?? You need to freeze the rabbit so it can be done!!

Sorry, but this is actually wrong.

A necropsy is a good idea, but you need to refrigerate, but never freeze. Freezing damages the organs and tissue and will make it difficult if not impossible to determine the cause.

Could he have overheated? I believe that can be a symptom. It's also a symptom of a pretty horrible virus, VHD, Viral Hemorrhagic Disease (aka RHD) although this is rare in the US and its likely that more than one rabbit would have been affected.

Sorry for your loss. :(

sas :purplepansy:

I didn't know we could get a necropsy, and we had to go out of town so he's buried now. :/

I've checked over all my rabbits twice since I came home and I had someone come over while we were gone to check for symptoms of anything. So far all I've just got disgruntled bunnies, but I'm going to keep looking very closely.

I'm going to cross my fingers & hope that it was just a heat stroke, because I do believe that's what it was plus it wouldn't be contagious.

Pipp wrote:
mistyjr wrote:
And if you want to do a necropsy done?? You need to freeze the rabbit so it can be done!!

Sorry, but this is actually wrong.

A necropsy is a good idea, but you need to refrigerate, but never freeze. Freezing damages the organs and tissue and will make it difficult if not impossible to determine the cause.

Could he have overheated? I believe that can be a symptom. It's also a symptom of a pretty horrible virus, VHD, Viral Hemorrhagic Disease (aka RHD) although this is rare in the US and its likely that more than one rabbit would have been affected.

Sorry for your loss. :(

sas :purplepansy:
Actually, when we had dead puppies and we wanted to get an necropsy done.. The Veterinarian told us that we had to freeze them to be able to get one done...
Sorry!

Latest posts

Back