(RIP) Charger is in the hospital with bloat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
8b5170e198c3__1310325508000.jpg
[/img]Well it started Sat morning, or so I should say that I noticed it sat morning. I took him out and gave him some belly rubs and put him back in and went about what i was doing, alot of the times this would be enough for him. He went over nibbled his lettuce and ate about half a leaf and then went back to sitting in the corner. So later on that day i started with the gas x and belly rubs, i figured that he would just get through it like he always does, it usually takes one dose and/or one belly rub and he is fine. Not this time. This morning i took him out and was doing more rubs, and gas x, slurry of pellets and pumpkin, hugs and kisses. I noticed that his stomach was distended but still squishy, but the the puffiness was up right under his ribs, and below was flatter to his legs. I went cruising through the infirmary here and happened to come across someones post that had the same discription of what her rabbits stomach felt like and i wanted to die, I knew i had to take him to the vet. I called my vet i use for the bunnies and found out if the rabbit doc was in, my normal rabbit doc was not there but someone else, against what i wanted (my normal doc) I took him anyway because in my mind the alternative for him is death cause what i was doing wasnt making him any better. So I took him in and they felt him and i went through what type of cage he was living in , the bedding being used, his food intake, pellet intake, his hay, and eveyrthing else imaginable that i could have told them, also what i have already done for him. They took him and did an xray , of course i knew that was going to happen, and you can see......hopefully........ his xray below. They want to keep him for a few days, he will get fluids, antibiotics, critical care, and a whole slew of other things to help him. I hope he comes through this, and as quick as possible because i will go broke paying for this,lol. I got charged 111.00 just to walk in the door and that isnt even the doctors charge for seeing him, i put a down payment on it and the estimate for 2 days was 792.00 and for 4 days 1273.00 but the vet said this could take up to two weeks to clear up :shock:. I am going to play this by ear, and see how he is after a few days and then probablly talk about bringing him home to finish up the treatment, not something i relish doing but i cant afford to let him stay in there 2 weeks. I am capable of force feeding, and I will do sub-q if neccessary

So below is his xray, and now i need good vibes, thoughts, prayers, whatever it is that you do to help someone or some fur baby heal, and send that to Charger,lol.

On top of this going on my hubby was out with the van so i had to borrow my dad's car, and my 2 year old is sick with some stomach bug so needless to say today has been a hell of a day,lol.

8b5170e198c3__1310325508000.jpg

Sorry about the bad day. I've had those too. Two weeks sounds too long. I would get another opinion. I realize they are charging an arm, leg and whatever else. Too much in my opinion.

thank you Donna. Pla725 I dont think they plan on keeping him two weeks but said that these things could take that long to clear up. I know that this vet is hella expensive but it is the only one i trust around here, no other vets come reccomended in the area. I am going to try to get him out after a day or so and do it from home.

Yikes they sure now how to charge for takeing you pets in! Wow, we just got a bunny and im concerned about her eating. I talked to the breeder that I got her from and she just said eating is eating. She isn't eating pellets at all but she will eat treats and timothy hay. She seems ok other wise. Let us pick her up, pet her, and she seems tolerant of all of it. Hope I don't need to make a vet stop.

Im hope your bunny pulls through this and is going to be ok?!?!

RIP Charger. It was a mass in his stomach, most likely a heritarty thing, it was not bloat or stasis. I am still in shock. He was drooling, it was not his teeth, nausea. Operating on him was not an option and also not an option i would consider, not on his stomach any way. He is at the bridge with Sooty and all the other animals i have had put to sleep in the last 2 sucky years. I take rest that he is in a better place and pain free, i could tell he was in alot of pain when i went in to see him this morning. My vet knows how much I love my buns and that I would have done what i could for them and she even said that if it was bloat we could treat, or stasis we could treat, but this was not treatable, and again she was ready to cry right along with me.

Fran, I'm so sorry.

Binky Pain Free at the Rainbow Bridge:rainbow:.

He is with his friends now.

Hugs to you:hug:.

Susan:bunnyangel2:

Fran - I am so sorry for you lose. We had the same thing happen 2 years ago with Nickolas. He had quit eating and pooing all of a sudden. I thought it was a fur ball. Turns out he had a cancer the size of a baseball in his stomach. Darn it is so tough to watch them in pain and have to let them go. The final major act of love is to do what you just had to. Prayers and hugs.

I was just going over the bill, an althought this vet is ooobbber expensive and the only vet i trust with my rabbits because of personal , past experience. THey did not charge me for t he emergency visit, nor the xrays that they did originally, the vet also did not charge me to Euthanise Charger. This vet is the same one that seen Sooty while getting his teeth trimmed for a year and a half and ultimately put him to sleep and cried with me when i ahd to do that, and then again the other day had tears in her eyes when she had to tell me of how bad Charger was and saw me struggle to make the decison. I was shocked and didnt realize it until today when i looked over the bill. This doesnt take away the fact that CHarger is no longer here cause i would pay the moon and stars if i had to to have him back i just thought that was very nice of them.

I am so very sorry. Sounds like the vet is a keeper despite prices. Perhaps pet insurance in the future could help?

RIP Charger.:pray:

Latest posts

Back