(RIP) Binkie has cancer : (

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Reaction score
Binkie started having some problems breathing a few days ago.
I thought it might have been due to the warmer temps.

I took her to see my vet today.
X-rays show 3 tumors around her lungs.

His initial suggestion to mewas to consider putting her down.
My vet is the best vet in the whole world and doesn't offer a suggestion like this too often.

However......

I don't think Binkie is ready to go yet.
Her quality of life is still good.
I think she's more uncomfortable ....as opposed to being in distress.

She's still eating and drinking....and pooping and peeing.
All of the above at a bit less than normal amount, though.
And she's still active, but I can see that she'sresting more... and running less.
She weighed in at a good weight...5 lbs 7 oz., and she going to be 7 years old in November.
I've had her since she was just a baby.

Call me selfish, but I'm not ready to give up on her just yet.

We decided to treat her for the symptoms, to make her as comfortable as possible, and see how it goes.
I'll take her back if things should take a sudden turn for the worse.

He gave her a injection of Depo Medrol (aka: methylprednisolone, ananti-inflammatory) , and Ciprofloxacin (antibiotic).
He also gave me a solution to take homeso I can nebulize her.

:sigh:

Awww' :in tears:

You are doing the best you can.. and I bet her life has been a great one :)
Great that you are making her comfortable..

You are a great owner.. and she is a very happy rabbit to have somebody very caring!

You're not being selfish, you know Binkie best. My rabbit, Gulliver, came down with lymphoma and had a tumor in his lungs. We treated him with Pred which doesn't cure the cancer but it made him more comfortable.

If Binkie is still eating and pooping, I would do the same thing. I was able to buy some time with Gulliver and I still treasure every moment of it. I know I did the right thing.
Go with your instincts, you know her best.

:tears2: Oh Jim, I'm so sorry to hear about Binkie.

I don't think it's selfish at all - if Binkie still has quality of life and doesn't appear to be in pain, then just love up on her. You know your buns so well, you will know when she wants to go.

:feelbetter:

Jan

We're so sorry to hear this. Our best dog that ever walked the earth got bone cancer and it was too far along--so all we could do was make him comfy and as long as he was getting by it was alright. We got an extra two months before we had to take that final trip. You and Binkie are in our thoughts and prayers. :pray:

I don't think you are selfish, I think that you know what is best for both you AND Binkie. Best wishes for the both of you, and I'm sure you'll make her the happiest bunny in the world for however long she has left with you. I'm very sorry.

I will pray that God heals Binkie and Binkie can live a long healthy life with you.

I am sorry to hear that your bunny is sick. I hope things gert better for Binkie and you!

I"m sorry to hear about your baby bun and you're not selfish. You know what best for both of you. Best wishes for you and your girl.
:hug2:

Oh man, hearing this brings back the memories of my cat Salem,:cry2 the vet did X-rays and basically told me take him home and when Salem stops being Salem bring him back and we will put him down. Salem held on for 6 months then died peacefully in my arms at 7am the morning we were to take him back.:rip::rainbow:

You know best when your Binkie stops being Binkie, you are far from selfish. I think that you will know when the time has come. Until then, enjoy every moment.:cry2 Just remember Binkie will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge:rainbow:

Jim, I'm so sorry to hear about Binkie.

Like everyone said you are not being selfish, you are being a GREAT Daddy to Binkie. You know her better then anyone.

Enjoy every moment you have with her. I' feel the same about Buttercup he almost died 2 years agoand look he is still with me. Much slower, doesn't eat as much but gives me TONS of Kisses and love.

Prayers:pray::pray::pray::pray: and Hugs:feelbetter::feelbetter::feelbetter:for Binkie and You.

Susan:sickbunny:

Thank you for all of the kind words.

Binkie seemed to be a little better today. I'm thinking the meds may have helped her to feel more comfortable.

We're just going to take this one day at a time.

It took me HOURS to find the compressor for the nebulizer. We hadn't used it since last year (for S'more). Somehow it ended up in my daughters closet.
Then we couldn't find the mouthpiece.... until my daughter reminded us that we gave it to the school nurse. MrsD went over and picked it up today.
I'll see how Binky is doing this evening and give her a treatment if needed.

JimD wrote:
I don't think Binkie is ready to go yet.

You know what's best.

The doctor gave me the same suggestion to put Pebbles down when I was at the Vet's office. But I took her home with the medications and pain killers as it was not her time.

When Pebbles did go, she was in my arms and she passed away very fast.

Thanks Stan.

I think this is the hardest part about belonging to bunnies.

Treating a sick or injured bunny is one thing.....but to care for a terminally ill one is so very different.
To make that final decision for them can be so very difficult.
But, I think you can tell when it's time.
It doesn't make it any easier, though.

I think Corely put it best....

CCWelch wrote:
....when your Binkie stops being Binkie
:(

Binkie is gone.

She went to the Bridge at 10:30am today. :pray::rainbow:

I put her in the nebulizer and she had a seizure.
She died in my arms.

I'll post more about it at theRainbow Bridge when I'm up to it.

Binky free Little Girl!!

:cry4:

I'm so sorry for your loss. You got a couple of extra days for you and Binkie to say your good bys. My heart goes out to you and your family. Take comfort in the fact that you were there, it was quick, and she was not in pain. I'm sure all her bonded bunnies were waiting for her and she is running free.

Latest posts

Back