( RIP ) Beginning stages g.i stasis and broken leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring2.0

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. Long time no see but I urgently need some golden RO advice.*

Georgie is a 6 year old neutered male mixed breed, 2.4kg. Healthy active rabbit with a diet consisting largely of grass hay with pellets and veggies as well.*

Over the last couple weeks, he had lost interest in his pellets, still eating hay and veggies. I wasnt too concerned because he only gets a small handful of pellets a day, not much to begin with. Sunday night didnt eat veggies, so gave him 3 cc of oval and a tummy rub. I noticed he was dribbiling a bit of urine, so the next morning I booked him for an appointment just to check incase of kidney or bladder stones.

Monday afternoon at the vets he is given an xray which turns out normal except for lots of gas. Biggest worry was the large amount of gas in his cecum. Was prescribed metacam and cisapride and also given another gut motility injection (can't remember name) and a shot of metacam. Keeping up with oval evey 8 hours as well.

Been force-feeding a pellet slurry and water along with the medication. Up until this afternoon, he has been pooping small amounts and peeing. Still not active but stuff is going in and coming out.

Which brings us to this afternoon. The morning feeding and meds went well, willing but not eager to eat - all good. I get home and find out he can't put pressure on his left front paw. Definitely broken somewhere and there's also a white mucous around his anus with poop as well. Rush to the vet, xray shows a break between his shoulder and elbow. Given a shot of buprenorphine long acting and some to take home with me. Not sure how it happened or when, but recommended course of action is amputation. Happened sometime after Mondays xrays.

Now for questions and concerns (sorry about length). I'm just keeping his temperature up at the moment because he refuses to swallow any amounts of food or water, very doped up. Is this normal based on the painkiller given or is he loosing his will? He can barely keep himself up, his leg is bandaged tight to him. The vet recommends waiting until his gi tract is a bit more stable brfore the operation, but I fear him getting weaker. Is there any recommendations on how I can keep him comfortable and anything I can do to help him in the meantime? Right now it does not look promising, though can't tell if it's from the pain meds that he is out of character.*

Hopefully that's as clear as mud, thanks in advance.

How is he today?

I think this is a really tough sitation. I'm glad you have a vets assistance through all of this.

On one hand we want to try and get fluids/calories into him. But hes so doped up that may be an issue and could post aspiration risks.
Is he nibbling anything at all today?
Maybe trying to syringe different things, and even verring towards tastier foods may encourage more swallowing. Some rabbits will eat hay or veggies if you kind of brush it against their nose to annoy them. They eat it out of spite even if they don't actually want to eat.

I agree that this is a very difficult situation. Would your vet teach you to do sub q fluids at home.? It would be so much easier to keep him hydrated.
I am fairly certain that the sedation is from the drug ..but you cannot allow him to be in pain either.
Do you have any idea how he fractured his leg. Just wondered if it was possibly related to the x-rays at vet on Mon.
Some breeders use a product called Nutrical for ill rabbits. It is actually made for cats and dogs and I usually would not recommend it, however, it is a high calorie food supplement that would pack a lot of calories in a small amount.
I agree with Watermelons that if he has parsley cilantro, hay etc. in front of his face that it is possible that he may eat it without realizing it.
Force feeding would need to be done very carefully and I would wait until he is slightly less sedated to try it. So easy for him to choke or aspirate if he is drugged.
Poor guy .. I feel sad for him.
Most important to keep him hydrated right now.

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately Georgie went downhill quite quickly and lost his mobility and balance early Wednesday morning. I was forced to make the difficult decision to euthanize him Wednesday morning after he showed no signs of a will to live. He had a seizure right before being put down, so the vet thinks he may have had a couple episodes the day before that lead to him breaking his leg.

I am devastated and trying to help Pebbles grieve, very sad to see her looking for him.

:imsorry: .... I didn't think that the situation looked good. What a terrible loss but you did the right thing. I am sure that he had a wonderful life with you ((Hugs))
If you still have Georgie's remains it is best to let Pebbles see ( and spend time with) his body so that she will know that he is not coming back.
If you have a stuffed bunny and rub something with Georgie's scent on it it may help Pebbles in her grief.
There is nothing sadder than watching the bonded partner grieve.

You did your very best !!!!
I just cannot express how sad I feel for you and Pebbles . I have been in this situation with my own rabbits; it is so very hard :bigtears:

I am so sorry for your loss. :( You did everything you could for him and, in the end, made the difficult call us owners must make sometimes. You did the right thing. ♥ RIP Little Guy.

Latest posts

Back