(RIP) Beau has a jaw abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last month I went ahead and made a routine appointment for Beau to get his teeth done on Wed April 21st. I have known that there is something going on in his mouth mainly by his demeanor and also several bouts of poor eating whichI turned around by treating for gas and stasis.

ThisTuesI was going to take a look at his teeth and found a small abscess on his lower jaw. :(I know that in early winter (last dental) that he had a fairly severe infection in that area of his mouth.

I am posting this here rather than the Infirmary because depending on what the dentist tells me we may or may not be be nearing the end of the trail.

Iam not going to put him through any extensive surgeries ; he has suffered enough in his almost 7 years.

he has been on bicillin for several years as maintenancee for his severe periodontal disease ( became resistant to baytril /cipro long time ago)

I have been trying to reach the dentist for 2 days to let him know about this....

if this is a problem in which the dental work itself plus possibly a few new meds (Like zithromax or chloramphenical ) can take care of the issue then we will go for it

but if this is going to require a lot of jaw or similar typepainful surgery then we are going to decline ; I cannot manipulate the abscess as it is painful to Beau. At this point I do not think that it is attached to the bone but I am not at sure

I have some zithromax tablets here and am attempting to crush and divide them into dosages appropriate for him.. I feel like I am trying to be a vetand failing..:(
I would guess that he has built up resistance to bicillin after all this time but I did go out and get a new bottle (Just in case the bottle I had was bad ; wishful thinking)
I don't want other members who do not know Beau's story to think that I am giving up too easily if it should come to that.
I will let everyone know what the dentist tells me tomorrow and I am fairly sure that he will want to see Beau next Wed tomake a diagnosis

Meanwhile I am trying to keep Beau eating and pooping

am hoping to get pain meds tomorrow ..maybe even a legit script for zithromax

At the very least, pain meds will make him more comfortable. Good thoughts sent your way, that it can be treated quickly, simply, and with antibiotics.

I think Beau is already seen as a miracle bunny. I don't think it will be taken as giving up on him at all. With all his previous procedures, I'm not sure what kind of integrity his jaw has left.

But we're putting the cart before the horse, maybe a new antibiotic might be a simple fix.

:clover:

I had called the Verona office and also the University in Madison for 2 days straight . No one knew for sure where the dentist is. I left messages all over the place for him to call me.

I have been sleeping with my cell phone and portable phone and am walking around with my cell around my neck.
I missed the call today at 1:30PM ; went downstairs and left the cell upstairs (was changing clothes) and returned to find that he had left a message.

he has been out of the country and just got back and said that he would not be in his office much but thatI could call again.

I am sofrustrated that I left the phone for such a short time and missed it.

:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:
he will probably go home and crash for the weekend from jet lag andI bet i will not get another call until Mon.

Beau is still eating and pooping although not as much poop.I do not know for sure but I think the abscess is getting bigger. hard to touch it as it hurts him.

Ihate situations like this ;I am a bundle of nerves.

That sucks! I hate it when that happens. Poor Beau! Don't you have any metacam or anything to give him?

I do have a little meloxicam but Iam saving it ..
right now he is chowing down on his Critical care and pellet slurry with a side order of pumpkin and doing fairly well.

Well first of all (believe it or not) Beau's demeanor has Much improved on the Zithromax . I have been crushing 250mg tablets from aZ pack and am trying to give 60 mg a day ( he is about 1.5 kg)

he is back eating well, he is using the litterbox better (which he has not done for a long time) and this moment I found him grooming his stuffed animal.

As far as I can tell the abscess is still getting bigger but he is more comfortable.

and ...

the dentist just called me.

he seems to think (although he does say that maybe when he sees Beau his impressions will change) that he can treat an abscess without going the full route of jaw surgery and impregnated beads etc. ( much like what Randy may recommend )

I told him that I was giving the Zithromax and that Beau looked better. he agrees that the bacteria in Beau's mouth may be resistant to the bicillin but thinks that we could put him on different long term maintenance drug

Ifeel better now that I talked to him but whatever is doneI want to make sure that Beau is not suffering so we will see on Wed. :)

I am glad he seems to be doing better. Keep us updated and I will be keeping you and Beau in my thoughts.

I'm so sorry Maureen. All you did for him was amazing. He was so so lucky to be yours.

Binky Free Beau.

I am so sorry he didn't make it. It was a long, painful battle for you both, and now he can rest peacefully. You did everything and more for him. I know it's not a surprise but hopefully these things will make you feel better once the shock of his loss is gone. Binky free from pain, Beau.

Latest posts

Back