(RIP) alfred

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
my mini lop alfred passed away yesterday. he was 3 1/2 years old. he had been his normal, happy self & randomly yesterday he began acting strange & became lazy. i took him to the vet shortly after i had noticed. they examined him & said they had felt what seemed to be a hairball in his tummy & he was alittle dehydrated. they gave him some fluids & meds & i headed home. he didnt want to do anything besides sleep but couldnt seem to get comfortable. i tried offering him a few things but he wasnt interested. 3 hours later he passed. ive had rabbits die of "hairballs" before & they reacted nothing like alfred. the vet did an autopsy & said the only thing they found was a little ball of hair. he was always very healthy. im thinking it was a stroke but the vet doesnt know for sure. it just doesnt add up to me, he was fine & eating & being very playful up until right before i took him to the vet.

has anyone else ever lost a rabbit to a stroke? or delt with a "hairball" that took place & the rabbit was gone within 8 hours?

We're so sorry for your loss. We lost Hoss a couple of days ago. He was fine that night, begging for treats and doing his "happy" dance when he go his vegetables--next morning he was gone. We had pretty much the same thing happen with Bonnie, she was fine when we left and when our son came over to feed them that evening, she was gone. She was only three and Hoss was close to thirteen. Don't know what the cause was for sure, just that they were fine and we had no warning. I think, some time, it's their time to go. Charlene, our littlest bunny was around ten and just started slowing down, eating less, and we came in one morning to feed everyone and she'd passed.

Thank you for your responses. he was the sweetest little guy you could ever meet. its hard without him. i wasnt with him when it happened, my boyfriend was & we were on the phone when he passed. i feel bad for not being here, i promised id be home in a few hours (i had been gone 3.5hrs) & i think he just couldnt wait anymore. my other rabbit cinnabun is trying not to show any emotion but sometimes i can tell it bugs her. they were out of their cages constantly unless i was at work so they spent so much time together. never seen two animals bond so well. i'm just hoping things go okay for her, im keeping an extra eye on her. shes showing alot of love towards me, even snuggling so well get through this together.

I've never lost a rabbit to a stroke or hairball, but I am so sorry to hear about Alfred. :( Your bunnies look adorable in the picture. I hope Cinnabun is ok, and you too! It's the worst feeling.

I've lost a couple to hairballs. My mini rex is 4.5 & has gone through gi stasis 3 or 4 times so i'm trying to be cautious & brush her & make sure shes eating & everything. my dad thought it was a brilliant idea to go buy a rabbit today which im not too happy about. its very stressful worrying bout her & dealing with the loss of alfred. i'm at a point where i've had 4 rabbits pass away & its hard to deal with, i dont wanna add on the stress of having another rabbit. id love for cinnabun to be my last & me spend all my time with her but my dad doesnt understand that. & shes alittle worked up cause she senses the new rabbit. maybe that sounds wrong but cinnabuns used to dealing with less attention cause shes used to having another rabbit around, before alfred i had a dutch but never bonded cinnabun with her so i had to give them separate attention. since alfred passed 3 days ago cinnabuns had all eyes on her & shes been really loving (never thought id see that happen) & i thought itd be best to keep things that way.

I am so sorry. It is often hard to tell when they are sick until whatever is bothering them has gotten really serious.

I had spoken with the 2 vets after he had died & it looks like it was a possible heart attack. cannot say for sure but seems like thats more what everyones leaning towards. he had no heart issues or any issues for that matter but even the healthiest people have heart attacks sometimes. his breathing was pretty hard since before i had taken him to the vet so the hairball may have been trying to pass & when he began breathing harder his heart beat stayed at the pace & caused a heart attack. whatever it was i hope he wasnt in too much pain. i miss him like crazy! :cry2

Latest posts

Back