(RIP) About 7 week old rabbit breathing funny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesenewt

Reaction score
I recently bought this rabbit from a local pet store. I believe she is a lion head mix. We have fed her just the juvenile rabbit pellets so far, and have been cleaning her bowl of water regularly. We noticed after we bought her she was making some whimpering noises, but we thought it was because of being in a new home can be stressful. But today we noticed she makes these really odd noises, and breathes in through her mouth while exhaling out of her nose. It sounds like her nose is really stuffy, or maybe something is stuck in her throat like hair.

She still likes to explore and eats and drinks and poops normally. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Teemo passed away this afternoon. We had a vet scheduled only a few hours later, but I guess she just wasn't able to get in enough oxygen. R.I.P

Last edited:
Is this happening all of the time or only at certain times, and if so when exactly is it happening? Does she have any nasal discharge?

Ugh, sorry, but if she's mouth breathing, she's probably very sick. :( Eating and drinking normally is rarely an indication of good health, it's just that when they're not, it's really bad. I've had rabbits with food caught in their throats act like this and also rabbits with head abscesses.

I'd get her to a rabbit savvy vet ASAP.

sas :clover:

Is this happening all of the time or only at certain times, and if so when exactly is it happening? Does she have any nasal discharge?

Yes so far she's been constantly inhaling through her mouth and exhaling through the nose. But from what I can tell there doesnt seem to be an discharge.

I second the vet idea. if she's only 7 weeks old (which is a smidge on the young side), I assume you got her from the pet store very recently? you should check to see if they have any sort of short-term health guarantee on their animals - a lot of places will foot the vet bills for a recently-purchased animal as long as they ok the visit in advance.

I second the vet idea. if she's only 7 weeks old (which is a smidge on the young side), I assume you got her from the pet store very recently? you should check to see if they have any sort of short-term health guarantee on their animals - a lot of places will foot the vet bills for a recently-purchased animal as long as they ok the visit in advance.

I believe the contract from the pet store said they would never pay for vets. And the return warranty lasts up until this upcoming Sunday. Our family doesn't know whether to return it or bring it to the vet and keep it because it might just be some thing simple or something that could lead to needless heartbreak. The vet is also a little on the expensive side. Is the breathing problem something that could easily be fixed or something that's risky to cure.

Last edited:
They will put the bunny down if you return he/she. What you're describing is unusual, so it's impossible to say what the 'fix' might be, it depends on the exam. It could be a stuck piece of hay in the wrong place or it could be pneumonia. The cost will come with an x-ray if one is needed. It may require an aggressive antibiotic regime, but at that age, its unlikely it will require high-cost surgery.

sas :pray:

quite frankly I would bring the rabbit back to the store. a rabbit breathing in through and open mouth, sounding "like her nose is really stuffy" is an unhealthy rabbit.

Keeping an unhealthy rabbit only encourages poorer quality pet stores to continue to sell unhealthy rabbits.

You return it, knowing it might be put down (though legally they have to treat it), but you do it knowing that long term you are holding them accountable for the animals that they sell.

just saw the (RIP) tag at the top... I'm SO sorry - it's always hard to lose a bunny, but it seems especially unfair when you lose one so young :(

Edit: Teemo passed away this afternoon. We had a vet scheduled only a few hours later, but I guess she just wasn't able to get in enough oxygen. R.I.P[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear about Teemo. It sounded like she had developed pneumonia and, unfortunately, a rabbit can die quickly from that...I know. :hug1

Oh no, we are sorry to hear about your bun
The pet store that sold you the bunny should be notified of this and take the blame.
Anyway, we are sorry for your loss and that Teemo's life was so short.
Binky free Teemo

Latest posts

Back