RHVD2 in the US - what you need to know (includes map, pg 3)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any vets that have the vaccine listed for Connecticut/ New York?

p.s I’m glad this thread is posted, I was just about to ask about this virus.

p.s.s Also does anyone know what the symptoms of this virus are?
Check the links above. They have info about the symptoms and the hrs link may have the vet info, though likely you may just need to call around. Usually symptoms are sudden death with no outward indication, or there may be bleeding from orifices. Pretty much, if you are seeing any noticeable symptoms, the affected rabbit is likely already deceased. This virus kills quickly.

Check the links above. They have info about the symptoms and the hrs link may have the vet info, though likely you may just need to call around. Usually symptoms are sudden death with no outward indication, or there may be bleeding from orifices. Pretty much, if you are seeing any noticeable symptoms, the affected rabbit is likely already deceased. This virus kills quickly.

Thanks! I just checked out the list, may try to contact my vet to get more information on the vaccine.

Do you recommend following the precautions if you live further up north in northern states (I live in Minnesota).

Do you recommend following the precautions if you live further up north in northern states (I live in Minnesota).
I would take some precautions anyways. Even though there may not be any cases (known or not known at the present time) where you live, some precautions may be helpful in general like leaving your everyday shoes outside( or in a bin away from your bunny or inside surfaces), washing your hands often before and after touching your bunny/coming from outside.

I’m sure some of these things you may already do. Also limiting your interaction with other rabbits. If you get bunny a friend to quarantine them 14 days before introducing them together. There are many other recommendations in the links provided above. It’s ultimately up to you to decide what precautions to do or not to do since there hasn’t been a confirmed case where you live.

I think it’s better to be safe than sorry, since there is no treatment or cure for this virus if contracted. The links even have which disinfectants that are safe for pets that kill the virus on surfaces. I don’t live in a state that the virus is present but I’m still going to take precautions. I don’t want my bunny to be the first known case in the area.

also check where your bunny’s hay and food pellets are coming from. Does that area have any outbreaks? What is the companies protocol with keeping their products safe?

Several questions: If your rabbit has been vaccinated it can go outside, right? Also, if your rabbit has been vaccinated, can it be around other rabbits that have not been vaccinated? The vaccine would keep it from getting RHDV2 right? Does anyone know how much the vaccine is costing?

The vaccine does not eliminate rabbits from dying from RHVD2 if he/she got it.

It would raise the percentage of surviving it. (I think by about 50%)

I would just wait, till this whole thing blows over.

The rabbit that has not been vaccinated could have RHDV2, and expose the vaccinated one, and vise versa.

I think it’s about $40 for cost. (Depends on vet)

Several questions: If your rabbit has been vaccinated it can go outside, right? Also, if your rabbit has been vaccinated, can it be around other rabbits that have not been vaccinated? The vaccine would keep it from getting RHDV2 right? Does anyone know how much the vaccine is costing?
The vaccine does not eliminate rabbits from dying from RHVD2 if he/she got it.
It would raise the percentage of surviving it. (I think by about 50%)
I would just wait, till this whole thing blows over.
The rabbit that has not been vaccinated could have RHDV2, and expose the vaccinated one, and vise versa.
I think it’s about $40 for cost. (Depends on vet)

Below is a partial repeat of what was posted earlier on this thread...
  • Vaccination is expected to be effective for most rabbits – it may not prevent disease in 100% of cases, but if vaccinated, it helps rabbits survive if exposed to RHDV.

• Biosecurity measures should be taken to protect rabbits, even after vaccination.

• Please note that no vaccine can be considered 100% efficacious or that every rabbit that receives it will be guaranteed immunity to the disease. This is why biosecurity is vitally important as the first and most consistent method of protection.

This is not something that will blow over. It is in the environment now and will remain and spread as it has in the UK and Australia.

Last edited:
Originally posted in its own thread:

I was so excited to get an email from my vet that they will soon be offering the RHVD2 vaccine here in South Carolina. I hate that this virus exists, but it seems we'll soon be able to stop feeling helpless. There is nothing worse that knowing there is a horrible disease for our beloved pets, and that a vaccine exists, but not being able to get it.

I will keep you all posted, but just wanted to let those who maybe haven't heard that the vaccines were coming to the southeastern US!

Veterinarian is Dr. Benson at
Cornerstone Animal Hospital
7936 Broad River Rd, Irmo, SC 29063
(803) 749-4453

Great rabbit-savvy vet, and they do a lot to help out my local rescue! ☺

There is a private Facebook group called North American RDHV 2 group. This group tracks the virus in North America , may be worth exploring. From what I understand veterinarians do not have access to the vaccine until the virus is actually in the state . Our state of Wisconsin has no cases yet,however,it is close in South Dakota 🥲

There is a private Facebook group called North American RDHV 2 group. This group tracks the virus in North America , may be worth exploring.

Yes, this was already posted on page 1 of this thread (along with another couple resources as well). Here it is for further reference:
Not to promote any other social media but these group are keeping people updated too North Americans RHDV2 Group and Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease News Network It's as well I think with this dreadful disease to keep an eye open anywhere and everywhere. There is also a group working on getting vaccines into various parts of North America Supporting The RHD Vaccine in the US

RHVD2 just confirmed in Minnesota. Press release: Highly contagious disease confirmed in pet rabbit (hope the link works)
Thanks for the update.

The House Rabbit Society has been keeping a pretty good update running as well. They have an interactive map too.
Here is the link again for the current outbreak maps.
https://rabbit.org/rhdv/
Below the map showing which states have cases, there is more detail stating which counties in those states are affected.

Latest posts

Back