RHDV2 Vaccine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My vet will be getting the vaccine next week . I am wondering if a rabbit with reoccurrences of pasturella , or an older bun has adverse effects from the vaccine. Can anyone tell me what to expect from this vaccine?
‘Thanks 🙂

Though a vaccine might be generally considered safe, any vaccine can pose some risk of side effects. A localized minor skin reaction would probably be the most common. Other ones could be lethargy, fever, digestive upset, allergic reaction. For older and immunocompromised rabbits, there would likely be more of a risk because of not having as strong of an immune system as a young or healthy rabbit. If you have any concerns, I would suggest discussing it with your vet.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Vaccinations

My vet will be getting the vaccine next week . I am wondering if a rabbit with reoccurrences of pasturella , or an older bun has adverse effects from the vaccine. Can anyone tell me what to expect from this vaccine?
‘Thanks 🙂
Hi! Did your bunny end up okay? My bunny is getting the vaccine in a few weeks and I’m super worried!

Any rules about microchips or not taking your rabbit out of state or anything are on a state by state basis. None of mine are microchipped, my state allowed us to do ear tattoos instead which are much cheaper. I've gotten 18 vaccinated so far with filavac, and I'm ordering 20 doses of the medgene this weekend (which would vaccinate 10 rabbit, as each rabbit requires 2 doses). None of my rabbits have shown any adverse reactions, not even localized swelling. The oldest rabbit I vaccinated was 6 years old, I didn't want to drag my older ones to the vet more because of the trip rather than worrying about the vaccine. Youngest one I vaccinated was 3 months.

The state by state rules are changing quickly as more and more states are approving the american medgene vaccine to replace the european filavac and eravac vaccines so I would talk to your local or state veterinarian to see what their current regulations are.

Thanks to info on this forum my 1 1/2 year-old bunny got her first shot last week. She had no side effects at all.

Very relieved to have an opportunity to protect her against this awful disease!
Yay! I’m having mine vaccinated in 2 weeks and I’m super worried about side effects

Yay! I’m having mine vaccinated in 2 weeks and I’m super worried about side effects
My rabbit died two weeks after getting the vaccine. I called the clinic, and the clinic paid for a necropcy to be done on my rabbit. I got the call from the vet today. My rabbit died from Thymoma, a cancer and it is unrelated to the vaccine.

Latest posts

Back