Rex Fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelnSnuffy

Reaction score

(Yeah! I think my first question in the Rabbitry! Haha!)

Okay, I have noticed that the Broken Mini Rex I had, had longer fur than the "Harliquins" I've petted at the pet stores.

Seems the Harli fur is about a 1/4 inch inlength as opposed to my Broken who had about a 1/2 inch in length in fur. My baby girl seemed so very soft also, compared to the Harli's.

Very interesting. Could you breeders shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance!

Crys:D

I have just been looking into something simular to this and find that the brokens are softer, I don't know why yet but I am doing a breeding with a broken castor buck and a Harlie to see witch ones litters has softer fur, witch in turn will be more healthier fur I will tell you what happens once they have them

I think the softness you refer to is the density, or lack of it, and that can vary from rabbit to rabbit, even within the same color. I have broken Castors and broken blacks with great density and good length, but feel less soft. I have had broken blacks that are so soft, but have poor density. Maintaining Density in the white fur can be difficult. Sometimes you'll even notice on a broken that the colored fur is a slightly different length than the white fur. That isfaulted on the show table.

Density issomething we breed for in the Mini Rex. The coat should feel like velvet, with some resiliancy and texture under the hand. Fur is 35 points (out of 100). The standards calls for extremelydense, evenand 5/8"long. Plush is the word most often used.

:yeahthat:

I think it's probably more to do with the fur quality than the colours. I have bred a few different colours of Rex and you will find poor quality fur in all colours. You can have some kits from the same litter that have great coats, really short and dense, and then have others with a longer, wispy coat. You can also get harsh long coats or short coats that are not dense enough. I had a doe who was very well bred, but her coat was so long you wouldn't have known she was Rex just by looking. I also had a black that was the best Rex coat I have ever felt, it was out of this world and she was from an awful breeder who didn't have a clue and she was in very bad condition when I bought her. So I think sometimes it's just luck of the draw, good breeding help of course but you never know where you might find that one in a million rabbit! In a good Rex coat you are looking for short, even and very dense. Everything in between isn't quite there yet!

Very interesting, guys! Thanks for the feedback:D. Well, the little one I saw the other day, given quite young, was (imo-practically bald). Comparing to Angel's coat, which was quite "dense" and I loved it! It did feel like velvet! This one did not. I would want a rex that has "dense" fur, I love it! So, thanks for much for your input!

Latest posts

Back