Rex Breeds - others also - Molting pattern

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
While I read another thread I had something come to mind that I wondered about. Do any of you (especially rex owners) notice anything odd about how the bunnies' fur loss happens deep down to the skin? Like.... little lines, dots, or whatever when they are losing it and it's starting to come back?

One time I noticed something I thought was a lump or bite or something on Bo and I kept feeling and feeling it - finally I found it (that can be hard with a rex bunny - getting down to the skin!) and it was a new little dot of hair pushing up.

I have noticed that Bo actually molts starting on one side then the other in a unilateral manner...... but the lines can be jagged like a heartbeat monitor ya know? then sometimes there are these little "spots" where new hair grows and old hair falls out around them as they expand.........

Like a target in a way?

Yes, Hazel does something like that when she sheds. She's not rex, but agouti colored (or patterned?). She always keeps changing her "make-up", it's quite fun to watch her new patterns develop when she sheds. I'll put up some pictures of the ever-changing bun when I get a chance.

That's funny you should mention that: both of our furkids are going through a nice shed right now. They usually start with the face and shoulders and work their way "out." I notice it (the shedding pattern) a lot better on Bender and it's easier to capture on film (versus Lily's bright white coat blinding the camera, lol).

These were taken last year, but you can see Bender's new, darker coat coming in, on his back and shoulders:
n54800271_30105802_9375.jpg

His face pattern was the best though, lol, and it's that "down to the skin" thing I think you're talking about:
n54800271_30377380_8644.jpg

"Look, Ma, no cheeks!"
n54800271_30377432_2890.jpg

During their shed, I make sure I push a lot of hay and try to groom them every day, by plucking out the dead fur. I think it really helps. :)

[align=center]
n54800271_30377380_8644.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]:laugh:[/align]
[align=center]That's the funniest shedding I have ever seen. Sorry bunny :p[/align]

YES! that's exactly like Bo in some ways! he gets these lines on his face just like that. I can even see the pink skin under his white mostly. It's pathetic.

Hazel and her agouti colors - yes bo changes colors sometimes! it's hilarious too to watch the black hair come in and then turn brown/orange as it goes to the skin..

If bo is molting and I brush him really well - he will get bald in a couple of places. His head almost always gets a bald spot but then the next day it has a shading of fur.

Then his butt. It seems like he has these patches on his butt that always fall out and there will be a tiny blot of new hair coming in but everything around it is gone!

He's got hair now - he's happy LOL

Okay so I have a question...Do all bunnys molt or is it moult? With Lucy I noticed a change in her fur going from baby to adult but it was very gradual, nothing like I am hearing discribed, more like a puppy loosing it's puppy fur. I didn't even notice until I looked back at pictures. I have noticed the spot between her nose and ears changing a couple of times, both times I thought it was from chewing on her cage trying to get out because it was in the exact spot where her face would rub the nic cube if she were chewing on it.

Should she be losing more fur? She sheds some but nothing real extreme. Should I be brushing her? I never really have because there didn't seem to be a need.

Oh, she's a LARGE mini rex!

Thanks, Joy

Joy

I don't know if this helps but Rex looks like he has been run through a lawn mower when he sheds molts. But mini doesn't look like he sheds at all...he looses a little fur but nothing like Rex.

petkeeper wrote:
Joy

I don't know if this helps but Rex looks like he has been run through a lawn mower when he sheds molts. But mini doesn't look like he sheds at all...he looses a little fur but nothing like Rex.
It must be a mini thing then, Lucy is almost a year and she has never had that lawn mower look:D

spoh wrote:
It must be a mini thing then, Lucy is almost a year and she has never had that lawn mower look
Scone's never had that "patchy" look, either. The shed usually manifests itself as the shed hairs standing out from the normal smooth coat rather than shedding down to the skin. He'll develop tufts of shed hair, too, especially on his chest and backside, that he hates to have me pluck out.

You might try using damp hands on her to see if any loose hair comes out. Generally bo doesn't look like the lawnmower bunny unless I "help" his molt - which I go ahead and do so he's not eating the fur.

Bo gets the "nic cage lines" on his face too. He also gets a big heart on the front sometimes.

Here are some pics to explain better:

hmmf.jpg

In this one, back at the first of Oct. his hair was just starting to come out heavy. His butt eventually got a bald spot and both of his shoulders too. They only last a day or two and the new hair comes in. Crazy bunner.

wildmoltbo.jpg

MikeScone wrote:
spoh wrote:
It must be a mini thing then, Lucy is almost a year and she has never had that lawn mower look
Scone's never had that "patchy" look, either. The shed usually manifests itself as the shed hairs standing out from the normal smooth coat rather than shedding down to the skin. He'll develop tufts of shed hair, too, especially on his chest and backside, that he hates to have me pluck out.
Bo gets the tufts only if we don't brush him. If we brush those areas - the whole area ends up being loose. Bo loves to be plucked tho LOL!

I think it's mostly the mini rex and I've heard of the bald patches before. Bo has the prettiest coat but when he's molting he looks awful!

UPDATE on bo - LOL!

Today I was holding Bo and brushing him a little with my fingers.... all of a sudden all this hair just started coming out so I kept kinda running my fingertips over the hair..... before long his entire right side of his bottom was completely molted out and he's got the cutest hair started LOL! It's like a baby with about a week or 10 days of hair. Just there!

now he really looks like a lawnmower got him! The other side molted before now. Weird little bunner I have! He ended up flopping all the way out on my legs while I brushed him and rubbed his back.

I'll get one later - he's grumpy right now - I woke up and he was out of hay and pellets! :shock:

What is even funnier is when they lose a patch and then it grows back and then the hair around it falls out. Bo has some of those too LOL!

VET REPORT BACK! NO RINGWORM!!!

So, my Bo was just really molting out weird. It could be that he and Clover had mites before and I had given them ivermectin last year so maybe they had to get through the mites before the hair all fell out and came back right? Who knows? but now I do know he's clean and doesn't need the ivermectin topical - and not to give them ivermectin paste anymore!

YAY!!!

Latest posts

Back