REW breed with a black what could the babies look like ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachele

Reaction score
received_1246653452134743.jpeg
If I breed these two when there older what could I get?

what do the parents of the two rabbits look like? Are they brother and sister?

Not related the black (male) parents were black and blue and the REW (female)were both white but grandparents were white and fawn.... There flemish giant's

Since black is dominate I would guess that most would be black. You may get a few REW...it can also depend on what other colors are in the doe’s pedigree. Pedigrees typically go back 3 generations.

Hm, doesn't rew cover whatever colour genes there are, isn't agouti dominant over black? And there could be all sorts of broken, deluted etc.

In my, very rookie opinion concerning genetics, this could produce some interesting results. My rag-tag meat mutts produce quite diverse litters, I like really that.

Ya I'm just anxious to see what I'll get but there far too young yet... 7 weeks old now

Depending on the genetics of your buck and doe you may get a variety of different colors and black actually is not necessarily a dominant as typically believed you said they was blue and black in the bucks pedigree so without actually knowing the genotype of the pedigrees it hard to say positively what colors you may get but with little info I can say 10-40% chance of black(including black otter or any color containing black)
10-15% REW, blue, fawn or chestnut
If they are pure Flemish you can get any of the recognized Flemish colors
Just because a rabbit is black or white does not mean they actually are that color their genetic makeup could be another color and in that case the only way to figure out the true color is test breeding. That is for the genotype. Genotype is their genes or genetic makeup but phenotype is what you see or the rabbits color
Genotype is their genes, the buck is black and black the color in genes could be self or seal and there is about 24 genotypes for black so it is difficult to predict the outcome forsure
Black genotype
aa B- cc D- E-
aa bb cc D- E-
aa B- cc dd E-
aa bb cc dd E-
aa B- cc D- ee
aa B- cc dd ee
A- B- cc dd ee
A- bb cc dd ee
aa B- cc dd ee
at B- cc D- E-
at bb cc D- E-
at B- cc dd E-
at bb cc dd E-
at B- cc D- ee
at bb cc D- ee
at B- cc dd ee
at bb cc dd ee
A- B- cc D- E-
A- bb cc D- E-
A- B- cc dd E-
A- B- cc D- ee
This is just an idea of why you cannot predict the outcome without the genotype of the rabbit so test breeding is the best way to figure out what you will get and then you can actually use the colors from the kits to get the bucks genotype or parts of i

Phenotype is what you see, or the color you see of your buck but it doesn't have much effect on the genotype of him.

If you post the kits once their born we.can start to get the genotype of your rabbits for your records if you can find out anymore of their pedigree especially colors this will be helpful in filling in the blanks typically most breeders use 3 generation pedigrees but some use 5 and most know beyond that as well as far as the list of genome codes above don't make yourself crazy with them it is a confusing thing to start out with but it gets easier to understand once you can identify your own rabbits and don't be afraid to read up and do some of the exercises that they have online writing a genotype fron genomes and others you can find they do help and it helps to try doing your own rabbits even if you make mistakes dont worry keep trying lol it actually is fun believe it or not please don't hesitate to ask for help and please forgive me on advance cause I'm sure that I have some errors or typos above lmao

Hm, doesn't rew cover whatever colour genes there are, isn't agouti dominant over black? And there could be all sorts of broken, deluted etc.

In my, very rookie opinion concerning genetics, this could produce some interesting results. My rag-tag meat mutts produce quite diverse litters, I like really that.
Yes yes and yes lol your getting it obviously keep up the good work

I some what understand but it's alot of info to understand lol.... I'll have to wait and post pictures of the babies when they are old enough to breed.... also how old is a good age to try to breed them lol

Depending on the genetics of your buck and doe you may get a variety of different colors and black actually is not necessarily a dominant as typically believed you said they was blue and black in the bucks pedigree so without actually knowing the genotype of the pedigrees it hard to say positively what colors you may get but with little info I can say 10-40% chance of black(including black otter or any color containing black)
10-15% REW, blue, fawn or chestnut
If they are pure Flemish you can get any of the recognized Flemish colors
Just because a rabbit is black or white does not mean they actually are that color their genetic makeup could be another color and in that case the only way to figure out the true color is test breeding. That is for the genotype. Genotype is their genes or genetic makeup but phenotype is what you see or the rabbits color
Genotype is their genes, the buck is black and black the color in genes could be self or seal and there is about 24 genotypes for black so it is difficult to predict the outcome forsure
Black genotype
aa B- cc D- E-
aa bb cc D- E-
aa B- cc dd E-
aa bb cc dd E-
aa B- cc D- ee
aa B- cc dd ee
A- B- cc dd ee
A- bb cc dd ee
aa B- cc dd ee
at B- cc D- E-
at bb cc D- E-
at B- cc dd E-
at bb cc dd E-
at B- cc D- ee
at bb cc D- ee
at B- cc dd ee
at bb cc dd ee
A- B- cc D- E-
A- bb cc D- E-
A- B- cc dd E-
A- B- cc D- ee
This is just an idea of why you cannot predict the outcome without the genotype of the rabbit so test breeding is the best way to figure out what you will get and then you can actually use the colors from the kits to get the bucks genotype or parts of i

Phenotype is what you see, or the color you see of your buck but it doesn't have much effect on the genotype of him.

If you post the kits once their born we.can start to get the genotype of your rabbits for your records if you can find out anymore of their pedigree especially colors this will be helpful in filling in the blanks typically most breeders use 3 generation pedigrees but some use 5 and most know beyond that as well as far as the list of genome codes above don't make yourself crazy with them it is a confusing thing to start out with but it gets easier to understand once you can identify your own rabbits and don't be afraid to read up and do some of the exercises that they have online writing a genotype fron genomes and others you can find they do help and it helps to try doing your own rabbits even if you make mistakes dont worry keep trying lol it actually is fun believe it or not please don't hesitate to ask for help and please forgive me on advance cause I'm sure that I have some errors or typos above lmao
I did posts two pics of there pedigrees that shows all the colors not sure if you can read the pic tho

Not sure how agouti is relevant. In looking at the pedigrees the doe’s side is pretty strong in white. I see a couple of sandy. The buck’s is hard to see but again it appears to be pretty strong in black with some blue and a couple sandy. I still think you’ll get mostly black, white and you may get a sandy and/or blue. There’s always the chance you’ll get something else too. We’ve been surprised a few times with our litters and one of our breeds only has 4 colors.

Latest posts

Back