Revolution and Possible Ear Mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BentleyBun

Reaction score
We just adopted our foster kitten and yesterday I found out the kitten had ear mites. Bentley has been interacting with the kitten for about 3 weeks now before we found out. We got 3 doses of kitten revolution, should I give one dose to Bentley in case he does have it? He does scratch his ears but he’s also molting and seems to be a bit extra itchy during his molts in the past couple ears. Would I give 1 entire vial of kitten revolution?

I definitely would not give your bunny any kitten medication without asking your rabbit savvy vet first. It’s likely too strong for a bunny. It may be fine but definitely ask a vet. :)

Actually opposite to what Echo said, kitten revolution is not strong enough.
Bunnies are better dosed at 18mg/kg which is more then double what cats get.
Your kitten likely needs all 3 doses so dont go giving any away but it also wouldnt hurt to dose Bentley as well.

Your kitten likely needs all 3 doses so dont go giving any away but it also wouldnt hurt to dose Bentley as well.

I was told the kitten probably wouldn’t need more than 2 doses and that even the 1 dose might be enough (but just in case to give second dose anyways).the kitten is 15mg/Kg so it is lower, would it be ineffective? How would I know if Bentley has ear mites too?

That's actually not the kitten dose.. I think kitten/cat dose is 6mg/kg. It's that there is 15mg of selamectin in a kitten dose tube, and the tube is for up to 5 lbs(2.3 kg). If your rabbit is only 2-3 lbs, then that dose would be fine, but more would be needed for a rabbit any bigger than that.

https://www.vgr1.com/revolution/
The species of mite that usually affects cats is different than the one that usually affects rabbits. So just because your cat has it, it doesn't mean it will affect your rabbit at all. It's up to you if you feel you need to treat your rabbit as well. I probably would opt to just in case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_mite
Signs of ear mites in rabbits would be dark visible ear wax in the upper portion of the ear canal, redness and irritation of the skin inside and outside of the ear or at the ear base, thinning fur at the ear base, unusual amounts of head shaking and ear scratching. and crusting inside the ear. If you decide you need more Revolution, I would just phone your vet and ask them if you can pick up a few more tubes.

Medirabbit: ear mites

Thank you JBun. Although it’s been 3 weeks I haven’t noticed anything different in his behavior or physical appearance. I’ll just keep an eye on him and if I start to notice anything different I can always just phone my bunny savvy vet and go from there. For now the kitten is isolated in a separate room for another reason so they won’t be in contact for a while.

Latest posts

Back