Retired Show Rabbit Adjusting to House Life

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoolia

Reaction score
So my newest addition is taking his time to figure out house life. He’s been an outdoor hutch bunny his whole life and as such he’s never had to experience obstacles or different planes before. So having a litter box and even an extra, folded blanket in his new cage register as “i cannot move beyond this point”
Trying to teach him that he can hop over obstacles. All weekend he had been staying in his litter box with a food and water bowl because he didnt know he could leave to get a drink. I forgot this was even a thing that happens. My last hutch bunny got exercise time in a crowded garage before i got her, she always knew how to jump over obstacles. Before that was just my first two rabbits, one took about 4 days to figure his hopping muscles out, the other took about two years.
Guess I’m gonna have to teach this new kid how to be a bunny!
In the meantime his cage is lined with puppy pads under fleece blankets to soak up any messes he makes while he’s adjusting

He will definitly figure it out, maybe he haven’t fully settled down. It’s sad when bunnies don’t get enrichment. It’s not much to fix a hutch that at least have shelves/ hide house.

The best jumpers have always been my outdoor bunnies, they are also the ones that have done most damage in the house. From leaving scratch marks on doors to climbing bookshelves 🤣

Patience.

I got my buck from and old guy that keeps his rabbits in horrible tiny boxes, he had never made more than 3 steps in a row, had to send kits to show him the ropes :D
He's my free range house bunny now.

Attachments

• Buck2.jpg
    Buck2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 12
  • Buck3.jpg
    Buck3.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Buck4.jpg
    Buck4.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 12
We got our boys, Bert and Ernie, from the local Humane Society. They were 3 years old when we got them. I don't think they were ever out of their cage. We built them a 6x10 enclosure. We put the carrier in it when we got them home and they wouldn't come out. They sat in the carrier taking turns sniffing out the open door for the better part of an hour before I took the lid off to try and get them out.
They didn't care for the enclosure so my wife gave up her sewing room and they got their own room. They were happier there but it was weeks before they were able to stand on their hind legs and even longer before they hopped anywhere, they "sneak walked" everywhere they went. Now they're free range and take great delight in hopping over our legs when we sit on the floor with them.

So I spent an evening helping him figure out jumping in and out of the litter box and now that he’s got it down he’s SO excited! He loves roaming around his little run. I built a hiding house for him because he didnt seem to like the box i put in, and he sleeps in it every night and crawls out to greet me every morning. 35F1D8D1-E4B9-4BC5-9C66-D1BAD07DE793.jpeg
the pink pillow was thick enough to be a good ramp while he was learning but he decided he wanted his toilet area to be where that pillow was so i ended up moving his litter box there instead and he’s been nearly perfect about using it since! He left some territorial droppings around as you’d expect, but he’s proving to be a very neat bunny!

So my newest addition is taking his time to figure out house life. He’s been an outdoor hutch bunny his whole life and as such he’s never had to experience obstacles or different planes before. So having a litter box and even an extra, folded blanket in his new cage register as “i cannot move beyond this point”
Trying to teach him that he can hop over obstacles. All weekend he had been staying in his litter box with a food and water bowl because he didnt know he could leave to get a drink. I forgot this was even a thing that happens. My last hutch bunny got exercise time in a crowded garage before i got her, she always knew how to jump over obstacles. Before that was just my first two rabbits, one took about 4 days to figure his hopping muscles out, the other took about two years.
Guess I’m gonna have to teach this new kid how to be a bunny!
In the meantime his cage is lined with puppy pads under fleece blankets to soak up any messes he makes while he’s adjusting
That is so sad! I am gald that you were able to help a bit.

That's so great he's getting the hang of things and is settling in so well. It's always nice to hear a success story and that a new bunny is happy in their new home.

Latest posts

Back