Retired 4H Bun Needs Help Adjusting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahrat

Reaction score
I recently had to put down my heart rabbit a few months ago, and he’s been my only rabbit.
A vet student in my area contacted me after seeing I had also lost my last boy ratty.
She tells me a few months ago, someone surrendered a retired 4H rabbit, that was quite the award winner, to her father’s farm. She said she was working with her, and she could tell she has personality, and just wanted her to end up somewhere where she can be loved and relax.
I went and got her yesterday night. She seems to be a giant chinchilla (photo of her at the farm is attached). She’s probably close to 13 pounds. An absolutely stunning rabbit.
I’ve never had a girl rabbit before, we don’t know her age, but we’re certain she’s not spayed. She’ll be off the vet next week for a formal check up and hopefully schedule a spay.
As of now she’s definitely getting territorial about the large dog crate we have her getting settled in with. I’m certain she’s can still smell my unaltered boy (it was his cage hospital cage), so that’s not helping.
She’s not aggressive, she’ll kinda lunge, but never with her teeth out. And she is honking like mad! I’ll put my hand out, she’ll honk very rapidly, but allow me to stroke her, then just loaf and stop.
She’s doing the rabbit things. Eating. Pooping. Drinking. Flipping everything over. Grooming. She’s even flopped a few times in the last day.
The girl I got her from from said she trimmed her nails, so I’m certain once she’s comfortable, she’ll warm up.
My last boy hopped in my car from his previous owner and went straight to being free range. He was an angel. He was aggressive with other people, and rabbits, but never me. So even though I’m a seasoned rabbit owner, I've never had to bond.
Any tips? Since she a 4H rabbit, I’m sure her history is less than pleasant, but we do believe she was, at one point, a house rabbit.
This is also my first go with a girl rabbit. Any major differences temperment wise? Is her large dewlap normal for a big lady like her, or should we get a diet in the works? Any help is appreciated.
169DFD6F-950F-42C8-B52B-86568AE58799.jpeg

I would keep her in the crate undisturbed for a minimum of 48 hours. Don't try to pet her or bother her in any way at all. That is the fastest way for her to get settled. Don't try bonding until after that time period has passed. Give her time to get used to all the new sights, sounds, and smells of her new home.

Go about your normal routine so that she gets used to the normal activity of her new home. Right now she can feel safe in her new crate IF she is left alone. Otherwise, she will feel insecure and the process will take longer for her to get settled. She needs to feel safe first and foremost and that means leaving her undisturbed to get adjusted in a place(her crate) in which she knows she will not be disturbed.

Once the time has passed, I'd suggest keeping with that "no touching inside the cage" guide -- especially since she's still intact and more likely to protect her territory. Allow her to have that territory. She will do well to have her own space even if she free roams.

Use an x-pen after the 48+ hours to place around her crate to create a limited roaming area. That is where you can sit and allow her to come out when and if she's ready. That will be the ideal place for you and her to bond. She can control the level of interaction at the start.

Go slow in increasing her roaming space. It likely isn't something she's used to and it will go better if she is introduced to it slowly. This helps her adjust gradually and decreases chances of potty accidents or behavioral issues.

She's a cutie! Not sure whether the huge dewlap calls for any diet changes. I'll leave that for others to address.

For the giant chin, an adult doe should be between 13-16 pounds. Her dewlap appears big, but you’d need to weigh her to see if she’s within this weight range or not.

Latest posts

Back